I brought a Les Paul to service and wore boot-cut jeans.

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by FluffyDog6, Apr 28, 2019.

1. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

Don't need no Tele.
    Don't need no skinny jeans.
    Don't need no dotted-8th delays
    Don't need no volume pedal swells.

Just one patch with hot distortion and flipping from loud neck to soft bridge as needed for the various songs.

There were no dead bodies in the aisles at the end.

It was awesome.

2. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

Sounds good. The family and I tried out a new church today. The guitarist was an old man that looked like Santa with a Hawaiian shirt on. He had a nice Les Paul and great tone. No nonsense and not a bunch of effects. It was nice to see!

3. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Why does worship have to be so complicated?

Ascension and Brian Wright like this.
  4. Brian Wright

Brian Wright Tele-Meister

It doesn’t although some make it so. What drives me crazy is that we all have lives and a limited time to practice so I expect people to show up knowing the songs at least. It really makes things difficult when you have to teach people a song in limited time. I also don’t like it when the worship leader waits until the last minute to send out the material and they aren’t familiar songs. It makes it hard on everyone.

5. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Pastor and Worship Leader here. I am blessed to have a lot of friends to come in and play and sing at our special events. I try to make it as easy as I can for them. They could easily say NO!

Ascension likes this.
  6. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I'm no fashion expert: What's a bootcut jean? I'll ask my daughter.

I am noticing the skinny jeans, over-drenched chorus/delay/reverb, bad overdrive, volume swells - pickers in almost all of the churches I visit. (tremolo pedals don't count... and I actually like Volume pedal swells on occasion). I don't know how or why Tele's fit into this? (I don't know if any of these kids have ever bought a country music C.D. or heard of Danny Gatton or even Vince Gill - Asleep At The Wheel is right out!)

I'm glad i'm not seeing Line 6 amps everywhere I go now - but WORSE: i'm seeing NO AMPS! I saw a Kemper Amp in a church the other day: i'm pretty sure they ran a Line 6 through it for their tone print. That's what it sounded like. Couldn't these churches just buy Some little Princeton Reverbs???

islander likes this.
  7. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Wow - yesterday I took a Vox AC4 mini and a Boneshaker to play my Airline tuxedo hollowbody through... I was wearing jeans that are tight on the ankle, though.....

8. GoldieLocks

I think that counts as a skinny jean. But i'm not sure. At least it's not a BAGGY JEAN with your underwear shown down to your knees. Apparently that's still VERY COOL in some circles. But i'm old - and my clothes fit me (I'm so out of fashion)

SBClose and mRtINY like this.
  9. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Too tight and I can't move, too loose and I trip and fall. That waistband on the jeans get lower and lower. It's rough getting old! I'm so old, I can't (obviously) wear Spandex. On my preacher pants however, I have to wear the Expandex (adjustable waistband) type pants. But I will rock that guitar with the best of them!

PastorJay likes this.
  10. FluffyDog6

FluffyDog6 Tele-Meister

The unfortunate standard in non-denomenational churches (of which I attend one) for worship leaders these days seems to be:

• 20-something
    • tats
    • Tele (unless acoustic - then a Taylor)
    • skinny jeans
    • unshaven (or lumberjack beard)
    • Kemper and/or 7 Strymon pedals
    • Knit beanie cap or flat-brim ball cap

The pictures below are representative of the genus:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm sure conventional churches don't suffer from this as much. However it sure does get annoying to see the cookie cutter wanna-be kids roll in year after year (we are in a college town) and then split in a few months when they aren't given a starring role on the front line immediately, like they had at home.

11. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Wearing cover inside a church?

rhino and 985plowboy like this.
  12. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

Ooooh Fluffy, you just nailed most of my peeves. Aside from the cover, I'm not bothered by the "uniform" as much as the assimilation that appears to be behind it. I don't see kids on the street dressing like these worship leading kids so much, makes me wonder where it's coming from. I went to a church a while ago where one of the singers had their flat brimmed trucker hat on backwards for one set, making a nice hole in his forehead between the adjuster strap and the rest of the hat... I tried not to be distracted and FAILED.

I know I ruffled some feathers when introducing new instrumentation to worship in the 80's so what goes around comes around and now I'm the old guy that wonders what happened. In conversation with my brother yesterday he told me he was aging out for Worship Leadership. He's 10 years younger than me... ouch.

In the first pic, even if the kid took off the hat, maybe changed his shirt, he's still got a capo on the 4th fret. Flame me if you must but... I get capos for acoustics, I even use one once in a while but it just don't seem right on a Tele...or Strat...or...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    black_doug, Ascension and mRtINY like this.
  13. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

A big local mega Church began putting teams together for satellite campuses.
    If you were to old and didn't have the right "look" you need not apply. It was all about the right look the right stage presence the right "show".
    Will go further on this. In the past I had been very active on several worship boards. Over the last few years most of those groups have gone away. When I tried to find new sites I found most were vicious clickish superficial arrogant and just plane nasty. Some of the most abrasive and nasty sites in fact that I have ever encountered. There were a couple exceptions like this site for example but over all was a very disturbing experience.
    Everything was so superficial so clickish if you weren't playing through a Vox with a dozen Stryman pedals using a Dusenburg you didn't count or belong.
    Shouldn't be this way but it is unfortunately!

14. SBClose

SBClose Tele-Meister

In light of Ascension's experience...
    I noticed the left hand position of both players in the pics Fluffy posted and wondered if there was a message in there somewhere.

I deleted the above from my earlier response but Ascension left the door open just wide enough.

mRtINY and Ascension like this.
  15. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Have been playing worship since the mid 1980's and seen many changes. Also seen several shifts in sound and feel.
    Over the last 10 years or so have seen a very disturbing trend towards show and flash with a real decline in the integrity of the message.
    One of my all time favorite albums by a Christian artist is Fire and Ice by Steve Camp.
    This song haunts me because of how true it has become in today's apostate church world.

stlramman and mRtINY like this.
  16. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Root is this. First time i heard this song it turned me in to a blubbering mess. We are the ones who have to play a part in turning this. As worshiping warriors and style and superficial stuff wont matter heart WILL!

17. GoldieLocks

Yep, this is what i'm seeing. (my buddy and I thought dusenburg's were some of the worst - over priced -guitars we ever played. And don't get me started on Strymans...) Vox's can be GREAT! But not the cheap ones.

AS for me: Tele's and S.G.'s. I'm really old school.

SBClose likes this.
  18. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I must be way old for y'all~thought Dusenburg was a car~

preactor, FluffyDog6 and SBClose like this.
  19. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

I'll take exception to your Vox statement. While the modelers are mediocre (but probably alright for most ensemble situations), the AC4mini I got for $115 is great when playing at lower volumes with a bass player.

But, that amp doesn't fit the mold.... What are the hipster worshipbeards playing these days?

20. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

Don't know not any in my circles. On the other hand I just bought one of these.

black_doug and GoldieLocks like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.