I Broke My Own Rule - Played A Guitar I Can't Justify The Cost Of

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by unixfish, Aug 26, 2019.

1. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I don't mind playing guitars that I could never justify buying, especially when the neck looks as gruesome as that one does.

2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I'm in the same boat but I still bought a new one the other day. I traded two unused guitars towards the purchase of the new guitar, so I did decrease the herd by a net of one. (Juicy rationalization)

I fully expect to sell two to three guitars over the next couple of years but I just can't decide which to part with right now. I don't need the money so there's no hurry. I still like them all.
    Over the past several years I've sold over well over half of the guitars I previously owned. I find that I enjoy the ones I have more because I play them more.

There are two guitars that I regret selling: A white blonde AV64 and an AVRI 62 Custom.
    I keep thinking about Gilmour auctioning his iconic collection (kudos for his philanthropy). He said basically that they were just objects and it was easy to justify selling them. If he can part with those amazing, historic instruments then I can part with more of my guitars.

Clifton C likes this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Better to ask forgiveness than permission, unless a judge is involved.

Clifton C and DanDII like this.
  4. hockey guy

hockey guy Tele-Meister

That's one ugly neck!

5. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

That’s one beautiful guitar, pretty and unique. The color and binding match the neck so well!

6. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Same thing happened to me but I ended up buying it. Normally, when I go crazy I usually come back. Not that time. No regrets.
    BTW My Elite is the one behind the striped one.

7. eddnix

eddnix TDPRI Member

That neck! I should have popped a bib on before opening this thread.

unixfish likes this.
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

You don't need any one's permission to make our break your own rules. I've picked up plenty instruments that were out of the my general price range, just seeing; mostly in store where I have actually purchased a few instruments, and I wasn't wasting anyone's time, etc., blah, blah, blah.

Funny, though - the striped fretboard on the tele in OP's #1 post is a no go for me. Doesn't look natural, but that's the beauty of it as well, for some.

i did like a striper I saw on a previous thread here - it was more subtle, I guess and whatever. Looked like this:

amer elite ebony stripe.png
    am elite ebony striped.png

I'd be ok with this but not the OP's temptation tele. go figure.

NewKid likes this.
  9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

That guitar does nothing for me. I don't know how many guitars you own, and how much you love them. But one of my rules is if I can sell
    two or three of an "ok" item in order to get one great item, then I should do it. It reduces the clutter in my life and gives me something I can be
    really happy with. Right now I'm thinking of selling a couple of bicycles that I like but don't love in order to pay for a bicycle I'm going to love.
    Happiness goes up and clutter goes down (which is an additional happiness booster).

So if it's something you really want and can't quite justify, perhaps you get over the justification hump by selling a few items. Doesn't even have
    to be guitars. Could be amps, a motorcycle, a boat, a rifle, whatever-- something that as Marie Kondo would say, "no longer brings you joy". Trading some
    items that no longer bring you joy for something that does is always a justifiable deal, especially if it also de-clutters your life.

10. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Looks like wear is on the correct side as well.

teletimetx likes this.
  11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool neck! Reminds me of a gf who had a natural racing stripe [MODS: stop right there, BDLH!]

12. CCK1

CCK1 TDPRI Member

I've had to walk out of a guitar store without a word to the sales guy after playing a PRS McCarty about 10-15 years ago. If I stayed any longer, I would have bought a $4,500 guitar.

13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

Just cause you want it is plenty of justification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Pics or it didn't... oh, never mind...

15. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

When it doesn't sell, maybe you can convince them the ebony is ugly and that they should slash the price.

I don't know about the appearance of that. Headstock one color and the board two additional colors. Plus Pearloid. Too busy for me.

MonkeyJefferson likes this.
  16. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Fingerboard is very cool but the guitar ? I always thought those single cut , slab body Fenders were dorky...

You mean Rusty Staub of the Detroit Tigers ? By the way, Rusty played with the Astros longer than any team

MonkeyJefferson and NewKid like this.
  17. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Holic

He was even a Colt .45, I believe! The man could hit!

Mike Eskimo and NewKid like this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

For openers, I can't justify adding another guitar, period. My Telecaster, Strat, SG, and Annie cover everything I play and lots of things I haven't even thought of to play. I can't justify another acoustic either when my Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood does it all. That doesn't mean I don't like to look. It doesn't mean I don't like to take something down off the wall that's interesting to me. It's just hard to justify it in light of the above. The problem isn't price either. The guitars I have now were all bought preloved. My Mesa Boogie amp was purchased off the floor at a great price when the model changed. Do I need a PRS? I have no one to impress with it. A new amp? Now that might be something to shop for. I've played a Guild Starfire, a PRS CE24, and a Jazzmaster through a DRRI of late and I'm convinced that the amp is more important to a particular clean tone I like than the guitar played through it. Anyway, that's something to think about. I could probably justify a DRRI at the right price.

19. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Not so keen on the neck. I realise it's part of the look, but it would be an instant deal breaker for me.

20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm not crazy about that neck either. I am finding it hard to believe Taylor has made it hard for other companies to get black Ebony. They've got an Ebony operation but it's hardly the only one in the world.

Maybe just that Taylor has trained players to be more tolerant of "figured" ebony.

My Taylor has figuring/streaking in both the fretboard & bridge. But it doesn't look like that fretboard at all. All the figured/streaked Taylors I've seen are more subtle and a lot better looking.

I wonder if that piece of wood could have been cut differently to produce something better looking.

Oh well.. if it really played well I'd probably get past the looks. But it's a Tele, and Teles are fine with maple fretboards too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.