I Broke My Own Rule - Played A Guitar I Can't Justify The Cost Of

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by unixfish, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Treat Yo' Self . . .

[​IMG]

Luthier Vandros likes this.
  2. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

That neck is the wave of the future. Almost all ebony that has been used for fingerboards has always had similar pale areas in the wood; they're present in every ebony tree. The all-black that was standard for so long came from old fiddles. For over 100 years, ebony, whether it was already all-black or not, was dyed with an additional stain just to make it all the same flat black color.

And because so many fingerboards were stained, it became very hard for a novice player to distinguish ebony from a cheap, softer wood like pear, which was usually stained dead black too.

That is changing now; there's a general trend away from drastic staining, over-spraying colors and the like on woods with interesting natural color and grain patterns. The distinctive look of a natural fingerboard like this makes the guitar unique, and un-dyed ebony still feels and wears like only ebony.

Personally, I think the flat olive green is a perfect match for the neck's flamboyance. The color agrees with the neck very well, and the pearloid pickguard adds a bit of body-flash. As an Elite, the neck puts this top-range production guitar into custom territory at a much lower price than a full custom shop guitar would cost.

It's the kind of thing that sure appeals the most to me. I have seen lots of customs that were so one-man oriented I can't see myself playing the guitar. If I can't, there are other guys who can't either.

But a high-end stock guitar like this one can easily become a player's signature instrument. It's the smaller differences that seem to do that the most often.
    regards,
    stanger

3. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

The manager at my local Fender dealer tried to hand me a beautiful Aztec Gold CS Strat with rosewood board recently, and I made some excuses about it only having 21 frets and a 7.25" radius neck, so I wouldn't like it. But, the truth is that I knew not to touch it or I might be tempted. When you live on $1400 a month, you figure it wouldn't be prudent to lust after an instrument like that.

4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I picked up a guitar 4x over my budget. I was cool though. I walked out of the store without it.:cool:

Then I came back 4 days later and put myself in the hole for two years.:eek::oops:

It was worth it.:)

5. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

seriously, this made my day!

6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

I did play a 15K Martin awhile back. But since I'm really not an acoustic guy there wasnt much worry about not being able to afford it. And it honestly didnt float my boat. Maybe in about 20 years when it really settles into it's own voice

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I like your explanation of afford versus justify. But I think that gigging does not require nor "justify" an expensive guitar either. My next gig I will play an Epi that I paid $350 for (plus $100 to my tech), even though that is actually my least expensive guitar. If the guitar calls to you, and you feel it would be really satisfying to own it, and you can afford it (and still afford another one), then that's all the justification you need. If you decide not to buy it, then it's not calling to you as much as you think.

8. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Nah. That's fugly and messed up. Let everyone in on the joke.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
    DrPepper likes this.
  9. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That's a great point but it's hard to justify most "luxuries". No one should buy something that they can't afford (although the economy would probably collapse). It's the old "want vs need" conflict.
    I could get by on a single MIM if that's all I could afford. However, I can easily justify a nicer guitar and derive greater satisfaction from it. It's what it's worth to me. It sounds like it's not worth it to you. That's cool.
    I have a friend who is an avid golfer. He spends $5,000-6000 each year on golfing. I have another friend who just purchased a nice boat for about $40,000. My neighbor gets every new edition of the Corvette. He has a nice Impala but his Corvette is his pride and joy. It's what they value. They used to question me about my guitar collection but, when I pointed out their own investments in toys, they realized that's it just what we each individually value.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

moved my eldest back to college this past weekend and afterwards ended up here:

FC611ECC-473A-4683-8B0C-C81CB95D45F8.jpeg

you know, this place:

DEB54DF9-9EA3-43AB-8F27-11EE5A56E35F.jpeg

I played every vintage Gibson acoustic guitar on one particular wall and, once again, came to the same conclusion as last time:

one of them, and not the most expensive, is really special

it really bums me out that I don't have the ready money

Telefan65 likes this.
  11. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Couldn't agree more. If the stripe was a bit more centred so dark wood was on each side I could see it but that stripe, without any symmetry at all just looks like b (or more like Z) grade stock to me...pity because I like the rest of it :)

Each to their own though. If it floats your boat go for it!

12. Luthier Vandros

Luthier Vandros Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Macassar ebony is beautiful to look at and play on. Aim high op.

13. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Way cool

14. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Looks like that neck has vitiligo.

DaveGo and TeleTucson like this.
  15. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

So happy that plain black ebony is not required anymore. That instrument looks amazing!

16. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Ebony's raison d'etre is it's blackness. Remove that, and all you have is an ugly streaky mess. And predictably it's being marketed as something special - when it's anything but.

DrPepper likes this.
  17. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'm polyamorous and my main guitars are okay with it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  18. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

FWIW, "striped" Ebony isn't "cool", it's all they could get, since Bob Taylor cornered the Ebony market...

19. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Beautiful guitar, but I don’t like that fretboard.

navier likes this.
  20. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I actually decided I have enough guitars, maybe two or three more than I want or need.

I like the fretboard. You’ll never see another one just like it!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.