I bought a bag of Apples that don't taste good...eat them or throw them away?

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Anyone notice that when a new apple variety comes out it is usually terrific, then gets less appetizing? Galas were great in the beginning but now I feel they have bred all the goodness out of them. Have experienced it many times.
Seems like it doesn't it? Galas seem to now have thick skin. They seem to have bred them all to have that for shipping. I have a small Gala tree that is 20 years old. Good little apples and bug resistant compared with the bigger tree nearby. Spoil fast after picking though.

2HBStrat

Friend of Leo's
Anyone notice that when a new apple variety comes out it is usually terrific, then gets less appetizing? Galas were great in the beginning but now I feel they have bred all the goodness out of them. Have experienced it many times.
The bag of Galas that I just finished...from the other store and a different brand ..were delicious.

When you say they don't taste good, do you mean flavorless?
I mean not completely flavorless but not a good flavor. Nothing like the last bag.

Jay Jernigan

Tele-Afflicted
When I was a kid, we had a couple of apple trees that were way past their prime. As a result all of the fruit was basically inedible, at least fresh, so my grandmother sliced and fried them in an iron skillet with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and maple syrup until tender. They were good, then, I guarantee.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Chuck 'em outside for the deer. Turkeys come around at work and chase whoever's got the apple. It's pretty funny.

This is it. In the winter the deer used to come up to the sun room windows which my wife would open and toss apples to them.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
When I was a kid, we had a couple of apple trees that were way past their prime. As a result all of the fruit was basically inedible, at least fresh, so my grandmother sliced and fried them in an iron skillet with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and maple syrup until tender. They were good, then, I guarantee.
Shoe leather would taste good with that treatment! :lol: