I ate a plate of Nashville Hot Chicken,heartburn is killing me

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Baking soda is not the best option.
Prevacid or Prilosec don't work immediately.
Something like Pepcid Complete which has an H2 antagonist (famotidine) and Calcium Carbonate/Magnesium Hydroxide is good. The Calcium/Magnesium is a good immediate acid neutralizer while the famotidine blocks gastric acid secretion.
Pepto Bismol can also be helpful.

As others have mentioned, heartburn and reflux accompanied by chest pain/tightness, nausea, sweating, shortness of breath may indicate something more, like a cardiac event.

(yes, I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night)

Last edited:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I don't understand this "Nashville Hot" chicken thing. Lived in South Louisiana most of my life and even up here in the mountains, we really pile on the spices. But I found, this stuff was sort of one dimensional. I've been eating Popeye's Spicy version, fried chicken on an almost weekly basis since age 17 when a place I can get it, and it has some complexity to it.
I do believe that if Nashville Hot chicken didn't interfere with people's quality of life, they'd a become totally bored with it by now.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I’m hoping you’ll ate the bread left in the basket because that’s the 2nd best thing about real hot chicken.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I think a guitar forum would be the last resort where I would seek medical advise! Call a doc and just ask!:)
Unless you have one as a personal friend, good luck finding a doctor in the US who will give medical advice over the phone. In fact you'll be hitting the lottery if you can even get one on the phone.

Ted Keane

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
Unless you have one as a personal friend, good luck finding a doctor in the US who will give medical advice over the phone. In fact you'll be hitting the lottery if you can even get one on the phone.
I was thinking the same thing.Call a Dr on the phone for some free advice?That's crazy talk.Wanna try that with a lawyer?

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Not a Dr., but I use plain ole baking soda and water.
Yes - - and in case the directions are not on the package, 1/2 teaspoon to 6-8 oz. water should make a difference. You can follow that up with another dose in 20 or 30 minutes, but be careful about doing much more.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Afflicted
Reminds me of when I went to a mexican restaurant with a buffet for lunch. I had just discovered Chile Rellenos and that was all I ate from the buffet. Absolutely the worst and longest heartburn I ever had.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
@rcole_sooner nailed it. Baking soda is an acid neutralizer, since it is a base - mechanics use it to clean acid off of car batteries and battery terminals.

When you mix baking soda and stomach acid, the result is a lower pH by releasing a lot of oxygen. I.E. you will have a few rounds of burps. Think of adding baking soda to vinegar - the same reaction occurs.

Baking soda is highly effective, and only takes a few minutes to provide relief.

You may want to start with a half teaspoon, then take more if you are not "relieved enough" after a half hour.
Which is why milk is effective. It is also a base. If milk, baking soda, and tums won't do it. Just have to ride it out until tomorrow.

Oh, and don't do that again.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Hello, you've reached the office of Doctor Givens, listen carefully to our menu selections 1 thru 457. Please be advised under no circumstances will you be allowed to speak with a live human being. We offer by appointment 513 vaccine injections for various maladies ranging from sore feet to treating your long overdue facial ugliness. If you only require simple countenance control, please feel free to place an order with our associate Amazon who is running a special on Depends this whole week.

ChicknPickn

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I keep some generic acid reducers handy but I think it's the ingredient in Pepcid called famotidine. A few months ago a coworker was having some bad reaction from eating something I think it was also Hot Chicken and I gave him one of those famotidine tablets which helped.
Famotidine is a wonder drug.

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
When my wife was pregnant she would get bad heartburn a lot. The thing that worked best for her was sucking on a lemon. I never understood how something acidic could help with that, but she swore by it. I'm only mentioning this because I haven't seen it mentioned.

A little trip to the ER before the weekend freaks start arriving might not be a bad idea though.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Omeprazole or something like it might just change your life, if heartburn is more than just an occasional thing. I didn’t realize how bad mine was, until I got it under control. I just felt awful, all the time after eating, due to the acid. It’s not good to let it go for a long time, if there is a fix.

I used to pop tums when it “got bad,” but turns out it was always bad, and I only took the tums when it was unbearable.

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
I agree that it's not that hot. I don't think it's nasty.
Yeah it depends on where you get it, and the heat level. If someone goes to Hattie Bs or Prince’s and get the hottest they have, and don’t think it’s hot, they have guts and a tongue of steel! I get mine hot or a step above, and it a heat that doesn’t ruin your day (but it does depend on who’s making it)

If someone likes the taste of cayenne pepper, I think they would love Nashville hot chicken. I love it, but everywhere I’ve had it outside of Nashville has been awful. KFC and OCharleys had or have it. Very bad.

Buffalo Wild Wings has a “Nashville hot” sauce.. but it’s basically a hot bbq. Nothing like the traditional coating.

I only get it a couple times a year, but I definitely like the real stuff. And it definitely gets to my limits, if I order it hot enough. But it stops being fun at a certain heat level.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Afflicted
When I had my first colonoscopy and the doc told me he was gonna scope my esophagus as well to evaluate GRD, I asked him to please do the esophagus first. I laughed out loud. He didn’t even flinch.
Yeah, I said the same thing. Apparently the combined Colonoscopy/EGD procedure produces the same joke from all of us comedians. 😄

Cheap Trills

Tele-Afflicted
It's weird, I read all that about the heartburn and hope you feel better, but all I'm doing is wishing I had a plate of Nashville hot chicken infront of me right now.

mr natural

Friend of Leo's
Heat doesn’t bother me at all. I eat extremely spicy food all the time. But anything deep fried and I am miserable for like 2 days. Also, a warning about Omeprazole/Prilosec. Long term use has a rare side effect that mimics early onset dementia. I know because it happened to me. Had really bad brain fog and difficult to remember things. Kept getting worse to where I had trouble remembering the names of people I had known for years. It was pretty scary but my doctor figured it out and I switched to Zantac and my brain returned to normal within a couple of weeks. It’s supposedly rare but it does happen.

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Last night I ate a plate of Nashville Hot Chicken,and I was up all night with heartburn.This morning it's there still.Any ideas for help?I tried antacids,no help.BTW the chicken was good.
Plant based protein shakes have always worked for me. I eat some seriously HOT sauces.