I ate a plate of Nashville Hot Chicken,heartburn is killing me

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
@rcole_sooner nailed it. Baking soda is an acid neutralizer, since it is a base - mechanics use it to clean acid off of car batteries and battery terminals.

When you mix baking soda and stomach acid, the result is a lower pH by releasing a lot of oxygen. I.E. you will have a few rounds of burps. Think of adding baking soda to vinegar - the same reaction occurs.

Baking soda is highly effective, and only takes a few minutes to provide relief.

You may want to start with a half teaspoon, then take more if you are not "relieved enough" after a half hour.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I have this problem, I have GERD/Barrett's disease. The best out there is Gaviscon liquid. This was recommended by my doctor. Xantac 150 used to work well for something fast acting, it was discontinued due to issues. Not sure what they offer but I have Pepcid pills by prescription (Famotidine 20mg). I use one of these before hand or after when I eat something I shouldn't like Mexican food etc.
Alka Seltzer works descent for some things also.

Powdog

Tele-Holic
Prilosec OTC, assuming this wasn't a first time thing. I used to have perpetual heartburn and ate Tums Ultra just to be able to get to sleep. So many that I was surprised I wasn't pooping seashells.
Recently had my first ever colonoscopy and, as a bonus, they threw in an endoscopy (ran a camera, hopefully a different camera, down into my stomach) and found that I had all kinds of ulcers and other herniated stuff. I won't get into what they found on the other end. Anyway the doctor put me on the prescription version of Prilosec and I got almost instant relief. I take two pills a day and haven't had even a hint of heartburn since and eat what I want.
I wouldn't rush to the ER but, I would get in to see your doctor.
When I had my first colonoscopy and the doc told me he was gonna scope my esophagus as well to evaluate GRD, I asked him to please do the esophagus first. I laughed out loud. He didn’t even flinch.

nathan5782

Tele-Meister
I keep some generic acid reducers handy but I think it's the ingredient in Pepcid called famotidine. A few months ago a coworker was having some bad reaction from eating something I think it was also Hot Chicken and I gave him one of those famotidine tablets which helped.

Powdog

Tele-Holic
Agree with most of the above, but if nothing puts out the fire the hot sauce may have revealed an ulcer. Seen it. An ER doc can make a “GI cocktail” which will help in the short term. Basically Maalox with a shot of Lidocaine to numb up your tummy. Heartburn is reflux, which is different than focal stomach pain.

Hot chicken shouldn’t burn for 24 hours.

8bit

Tele-Meister
Last night I ate a plate of Nashville Hot Chicken,and I was up all night with heartburn.This morning it's there still.Any ideas for help?I tried antacids,no help.BTW the chicken was good.
Feel like a brick is sitting in your stomach? That's what it always does to me. I'm a Nashville native and simply don't eat it anymore. It's good but totally not worth the day after experience for me.

Greg70

Tele-Holic
I have this problem, I have GERD/Barrett's disease. The best out there is Gaviscon liquid. This was recommended by my doctor. Xantac 150 used to work well for something fast acting, it was discontinued due to issues. Not sure what they offer but I have Pepcid pills by prescription (Famotidine 20mg). I use one of these before hand or after when I eat something I shouldn't like Mexican food etc.
Alka Seltzer works descent for some things also.
I also have Barrett's. Do you have a source for liquid Gaviscon in the United States? I tried ordering it from Amazon and it had gotten frozen in transport and was ruined.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I also have Barrett's. Do you have a source for liquid Gaviscon in the United States? I tried ordering it from Amazon and it had gotten frozen in transport and was ruined.
It is available at Walgreens or Rite Aid last I looked. Not cheap, like $12-$14 but it's worth it.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Where did you go? I like Prince’s.

I went to the original prince’s in 2003.

The knuckleheads who I was with decided to be stupid but I told Mrs Prince herself -

“as mild as it comes please” and she said “I got you honey!“

I thoroughly enjoyed mine. Some of the best chicken I’ve ever had. My buddies were not so fortunate…

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
@Ted Keane

Even if you have been diagnosed with GERD, etc.: if the meds you're taking are not working in the least, hie thee to the ER to rule out a cardiac event. The symptoms can sometimes be virtually identical.

There have been many people that died of a heart attack with a bottle of Maalox in their hand.

If it turns out to be reflux, they'll mix you up a 'G.I. cocktail' and you'll be on your way home in short order.

NHFlyCaster

Tele-Meister
I was on a trip and had a very painful bloating experience - the thing that finally helped was Bean-O, enzymes to deal with it.

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I went to the original prince’s in 2003.

The knuckleheads who I was with decided to be stupid but I told Mrs Prince herself -

“as mild as it comes please” and she said “I got you honey!“

I thoroughly enjoyed mine. Some of the best chicken I’ve ever had. My buddies were not so fortunate…
I have a high tolerance. When I eat at restaurants with spice “legends” on the menu I ask them to “make it how you would make it at home”. So the normal 5 pepper thing doesn’t worry me. But man, past the middle at Prince’s or similar it’s hard to taste the chicken. I like spicy but their chicken is so good I don’t want to bury the flavor.

rjtwangs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I can't believe I'm reading this post!!! Last Sunday I didn't feel like cooking so I ordered KFC Nashville Hot Chicken and Fries. An hour later I was sick as a dog( not Sophie of course! ). In and out of the toilet for the rest of Sunday into Monday evening. I couldn't keep anything down, ate nothing Monday. Called the restaurant's manager and read him the riot act, he gave me my money back and offered me a $20 gift certificate to KFC??? I said to him, are you F__king kidding me?? How stupid are you?? And walked out and slammed the door. Then I threw up in his doorway!! Served the bastard right. Never again will I eat fast food!! I know just how you must have felt, I was there earlier this week. Hope you're feeling better soon!!

RJ

Last edited: