1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I apologize, I didn't know who Tim Pierce was (playing over chord changes)

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by Throttleneck, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

This video inspires me in so many ways. I am just a pentatonic wanker. And, when I watch the beginning of this video and I am inspired to quit. Because it just blows me away. What he does and what I do just seem so far apart. :)

Then he explains so incredibly clearly what he is doing and why. And I am inspired to think I could do something like this.

And I am inspired to think about playing in a new way. Thinking about how I play in a new way. How the notes serve the chords. How different musical ideas can be strung together. The playing conservatively and then letting loose when it fits the song.

This video was a big WOW moment for me.

Zercado likes this.
  2. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Tele-Afflicted

I shall have to view this later!

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Tim Pierce said, "This jam track is really great, because it has different chords that require different scales"

Yep, I could tell from the intro solo! For example, you won't be able to play over that G# chord with the same E pentatonic. That G# chord has a B# (C natural) that ain't in any variety of the E pentatonic. You have to hop around between "collections of notes" and that means knowing what notes resolve into "money" notes from the next "collection".

Chords are E / G#7 / C#m / F#7 / B / A / E / E

4. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

I love it! Pay your dues. He showed how one could do that for the first six bars, and then take the freedom to unleash the smokin' signature lick.

5. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Monster player

6. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

He's a great player, and teacher, and comes off really well as a person too. He's humble.
    He has a ton of great videos on youtube where he's doing things varying from laying down tracks for artists, to showing his gear, and lessons.
    He's one of the top studio players in LA and has been on a ton of stuff you have likely heard. Like Michael Jackson's Beat It, where I believe he plays everything except for the EVH solo. He won't come right out and say it I think for contractual reasons, and they credit Eddie for the whole song, but he hinted around in a video I saw. I think he went back after the fact and redid the parts save for the solo when it wasn't sounding like they wanted.

7. RocknDrTom

RocknDrTom Tele-Holic

commenting here so I can come back to this and study!

8. Jim W

Jim W Friend of Leo's

He is also on a number of Joe Cocker albums.

9. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Subcribe to the thread (see Thread Tools at the top of this screen) and you'll be able to reference it forever.

I did just that.

:) Peter

10. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

While Tim Pierce has has played brilliantly on more records than most folks even own, he didn't do Beat It. That's Steve Lukather on the rhythm and riff parts (not the solo of course). Steve is credited on the record (and the part in question even sounds like SL).
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/thriller-mw0000056882/credits
    http://www.allmusic.com/song/beat-it-mt0035412075

And yes, that little lesson in the OP is really great!

11. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Maybe it was him and Steve was credited. I am pretty sure he was hinting it was him, but wouldn't come out and say it. I think he said "another well known guitarist" so I assumed he meant Eddie.

12. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

As I understand it - Steve play the riff, Eddie the solo and everything else was Tim

I've held Tim as my favourite guitarist from the time he was playing for Rick Springfield and **** Robin

Just unbelievably talented ear for the right phrase at the right time

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.