i am surprised by an 808 - never had one before!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thunderbyrd, Jun 11, 2021.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I missed the TS train. Actually I got off the TS train. I just don’t dig them. I also fell off the SRV train.
    I don’t think there’s “one drive pedal to rule them all”.

Greggorios and Chiogtr4x like this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I posted earlier, about how I like to use mine, (for the pedal's actual distortion),
    but it wasn't until last year ( getting a lowly Fender Frontman 25R) that I actually returned to using a Tube Screamer- type. Had not used one for maybe 15 years.

The amps I have mostly used ( still) since 2000 are a 1999 Blues Jr. (now, my big gig amp), and about 8-9 years ago a Vox Pathfinder and a Boss Blues Driver is ( IMO) a much better fit with its EQ transparency, paired up with a midrangey BJ or baby Vox.
    But I was missing ( wanting ) an affordable 'in between amp' with a 10" speaker, and '60's clean Fender/great reverb tone.

So the Frontman ( w/good speaker), paired up with a Joyo TS ( like when I owned a real Pro Reverb or Deluxe Reverb and a TS-9 in younger days) is a great fit.

3. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

It's the State pedal in Hawaii:

HI808.jpeg

rickslick11 and Greggorios like this.
  4. CCK1

CCK1 Tele-Holic

Yeah, me too. First thing I thought the subject was a Roland TR-808. The Stratocaster of drum machines. Those things were everywhere in the 80's. Records by Marvin Gaye, Madonna, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Whitney Houston, Britney, etc. all used the Roland TR-808.

5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

RYRA 808 is nice and pretty simple to dial in. If that’s the tone you like it’s a good option too.

6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Another vote here the Blackface/TS 808 combo. I'm always interested in different "colors" for the palette and enjoy experimenting but for a tried and true formula: Tele/Strat through a cleanish BF, add a touch of TS808 OD and a dash of reverb or delay for some texture and results are real satisfying to me. I like Sparkle Drives as they can do boost very nice too.

7. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

I’m with you. I have an old TS9 that i use (occasionally) in the trad mid bite way, drive down - vol up. But ... i have an 808 clone that i use blasphemously with the drive at noon as my main ‘distortion’ pedal. It’s just so warm & smooth into already cooking tubes.

thunderbyrd likes this.
  8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Chicago Stomp Works has been making similar double pedals for years, and generally will build whatever two classics you want in the case, in whatever order you want them.
    Much cheaper too and the quality of my bunch of their pedals is really good, all top quality components and boards, all hand wired full size components, case mounted jacks etc.
    The 808 and BB1 are both staples in their list, not sure if they also make a PoT style BB1 like the Morning Glory too, but those type boards are like Pepsi and Coke, easily sourced and no magic dust required.
    They may not list every double circuit combo so you might have to email a question to find out what they will build for how much $$.

Looks like the Moonshine is like the old Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive with an added clean knob, and I doubt CSW offers that circuit.
    Might just have to spend the bigger money if that's exactly what you want!

9. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Tube screamers are great! I am glad you found out! Any one of them will sound great so don’t believe the hype.

10. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

I have never actually played a Double Barrel, though I'm glad you like it and have discovered the wonder of a good tube screamer circuit.

Honestly a good 808 circuit can be a make or break. They can also be hard to come by sometimes. The Route 66 and the Paisley Drive are great 808 based circuits. Just remember that the Moonshine, which is the 808 side of a double barrel is a modified 808 like the other two I mentioned. It has different settings unlike the original 808. The Moonshine is also running at 18 volts, with an internal voltage pump that boosts it from 9volts to 18.

Personally I have come to love my Paisley Drive and my Route 66. Very good tones to pair with a BF Fender. The Route 66 is possibly the best 808 I have found for Rockabilly crunch. Although it can come off as sterile when compared with some other options. The Paisley on the other hand is a gain monster while still staying quite clean. With the changeable mid-hump it becomes quite versatile as a tube screamer and a Fuzz pedal.

11. GuitarsBuicks

I do. Its a Phaser pedal.

12. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Friend of Leo's

I used to have an 808 running into a plexi, to add a bit more 'drive' as required.

It was the only pedal I had (or needed) for some years. Then I got a phaser, but no-one's perfect...

13. GuitarsBuicks

I disagree. I'm not looking for a different base sound. I'm looking to broaden the available sounds without bringing or buying three or more amps. The tube screamer gives me another amp or two. Adding a phaser gives me 4, and another overdrive, boost, or compressor gives me 2-3 more on top of the three "amps" coming from one BF Fender SRRI and the Phaser/overdrive combo.

14. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Yes!

15. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

There IS a sonic difference between the 808 and the TS-9, and that has to do with the diodes and output resistors-808s had diodes that activated at 1.35v and the TS-9 was around 1v (iirc, please correct me if I’m wrong). The output resistors also have a higher value in the TS-9. The result is the 9 is more aggressive and brighter sounding than the 808-this apparently was done at the behest of Ibanez’s marketing team who felt that it should have more oomph to the sound.

I have an 808 reissue, and absolutely love how it sings, not just with Fenders... my drive is set at 9 o’clock tone at noon and volume at 3 o’clock. I certainly could set it higher, but then it starts sounding too compressed to my ears (I also stack it into a rat pedal, and that pedal does compress a lot!)

Franc Robert

16. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

So it just depends how you use them. My first one I hated.... but I was playing a Les Paul through VHT Pitbull 45. It sounded like kaka.

- BUT-

I didn't sell it. I forgot my trusty BD-2 on a gig and had the TS9 in my bag. It was all I with me so I had to use it.... with my tele and a Fender Bandmaster clone.
    "Hmm, wait... why didn't I like this pedal again?"

Gris likes this.
  17. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

It's a BB1 clone with a different input cap and an output recovery stage do it has more volume.

Tolerance drift in electronic components alone can account for any differences between pedals, even of the same run.

I blame places like TGP for things like that, where a LOT of myths about gear originate. Fake news wasn't created by Russian or American intelligence, it's as old as the oldest profession. And sadly, anything on the internet lives forever. You debunk a myth, it will continue to pop up elsewhere again and again and again.

No, the Morning Glory is a pretty straightforward BB1 clone with a different input cap and an output recovery stage for more volume. The KoT has more radically different component values.

JHS customers know the Morning Glory, so by labeling it this way they will know they're getting a tubescreamer and a blues breaker circuit in one box. As the two overdrives are different and not two takes on the same circuit. The BB1 is after all 'the other overdrive'.

No, the only difference between the TS-808 and TS-9 is two resistors with a different value. EVERYTHING else is the same. Any difference you hear between them has more to do with tolerance drift in the electronic components then those two resistors.

telemnemonics and Chiogtr4x like this.
  18. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I've never really loved the TS sound even though I play single coil guitars through a Twin Reverb. To me the soft-clipping/mid-boost TS thing always just seems to muddy the sound. To be fair, my opinion is largely based on using the Sparkle Drive, and maybe that's not the best 808 type pedal. I greatly prefer Klon-style pedals for dirty boost/tone thickening purposes which to my ears always seem to do a better job of maintaining clarity and dynamics than TS type pedals.

19. Schlumpfmeister

Schlumpfmeister TDPRI Member

I don't think so, it is just one or two resistors. I had a version that could switch between 9 and 808 and I could barely hear a difference, certainly not enough to spend money on.

Also, I couldn't hear a difference between the different 4885 op amps.

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm not sure I've seen an analysis of the 808 side of the Rt66 but it does have that "bass boost" switch, and sounds to me less nasally into Marshalls where I really don't need or like the mid hump added to an already mids forward amp. Not sure if the 66 has much other changes, but it's literally the only 808/9 I like. Noting that I quit fighting mid scooped BF amps many years ago and no longer need to fix my amp EQ with a pedal. Not arguing with players that want mid scooped clean rhythm.

As far as JHS customers and the Morning Glory, I used to be that asshat with info on the internet, but now see that the cult of personality Josh has created with his youtube infotainment, is a way way too big tide to shovel info against.

All the other BB1 clones are called BB1 clones but JHS owns the right to claim it's a proprietary design, by sheer volume.

The really funny thing is that I end up making almost every OD sound the same, once I dial it in and adjust my playing for the pedal influence.
    Aside from pedals that are at some wrong extreme, like too much mid hump, too much bass, not enough treble or too much treble and no tone control; in the middle zone of OK OD I get the same damn sound no matter which one I use.

THAT assuming I'm actually overdriving the amp as intended.
    What i get is my amp being overdriven, and any EQ adjustment the pedal provides, plus maybe the grit character, but once the amp gets overdriven the pedal grit is dominated by the amp dirt.

Listening to playback the next day I can't tell which pedal it was, unless I'm switching back & forth between two pedals dialed in really different. Which I can do with two identical pedals and hear them as different.

For that matter, I can use the same pedal and same setting, but get two different sounds via RH technique.
    So if one pedal is a little more this and the other is a little more that, I automatically adjust RH technique to made the damn things sound the same!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.