i am surprised by an 808 - never had one before!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by thunderbyrd, Jun 11, 2021.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i just recently, through a trade in which i came out ahead, acquired a JHS Double Barrel. this is a jhs morning glory and a TS 808 combined in one pedal. i have no experience with tubescreamers at all and i am so blown away by the 808 side of this pedal. i have it turned to 12 oclock and, man, it sounds so good to me. it boosts my strat in such a sweet way - not dirty but full and strong. if i go above that setting, yes, it get's dirty and grindy, but i like it at 12 oclock. is this how tubesceamers sound, or is this just a jhs phenomenon?

i am amazed. i really love it. they are not cheap to buy.

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve used a few 808 circuits and players like SRV seem to like them.
    If one agrees the808 is really different from the TS9.
    I don’t like them with my preferred mid forward Marshall but they help mid scooped BF Fender amps a lot.
    Given that it’s possibly the single most loved OD it must be pretty good!

3. telemnemonics

Isn’t the Morning Glory just a Marshall BB1 clone?

thunderbyrd likes this.
  4. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

For some reason I was thinking "kick drum", then I remembered where I was.

5. JustPlayItLoud

JustPlayItLoud Tele-Meister

Nah, friend. Tubescreamers just sound good. Tone snobs turn their noses up if you turn the gain past 8:00 but there’s a whole world of tasty tones to be found within. Their excellence in boosting blackface Fenders or high gain metal amps is just a bonus.

Greggorios, Old Plank and thunderbyrd like this.
  6. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yeah, blackface fenders are mentioned here, i'm playing through a TM deluxe. i have no experience with marshalls or much of anything else. it just sounds so "right" through my amp, sweet, full, just what one would want.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

My 'Tube Screamer' now is a Joyo Vintage Overdrive and out of the 5-6 I have tried or kept over many years, this one is sweet!

I personally have always run amps clean ( very often gigs that just weren't big enough to crank amps into OD),
    so I actually used a TS with Drive from say NOON-2:00 and use the distortion coming from the pedal- with my clean Fender amps things sounded good to me.

But the sweep of the Joyo's Tone and Drive controls is great- nice range!

DADGAD, richiek65, Old Plank and 2 others like this.
  8. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

It is a good classic OD sound especially with scooped mids amps and single coils. But I would argue that a lot of people who love the TS + BF Fender sound, actually are looking for a different base tone than a scooped Fender provides, and would be much happier with a different kind of amp and no pedal, or a different kind of pedal.

9. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

Blackface Fender + Tube Screamer is like ice cream and pie.

NTC, 4pickupguy, Greggorios and 4 others like this.
  10. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Holic

Kinda the whole Dumble concept.

Maguchi and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

But there are those of us like me, that use a BF/SF Fender amp ( or in that EQ/reverb style) and use THAT clean sound (alone).as a lead and rhythm tone on some songs or parts in songs.
    Then will kick on a Tube Screamer ( in my case with Drive UP ) specifically for a different midrange tone with grind and distortion- AND the Volume of the TS can be set to be the same as with pedal OFF, or of course, louder

* it just kind of goes with the music you play, and mine skews old, so a Clean Fender amp is a good friend to me- something I want to have access to

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Bluesbob, Gris, Greggorios and 3 others like this.
  12. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I used em as a clean boost. Screamer into dirty amp, screamer volume near all the way, distortion knob all the way down. Makes for a round singing high gain solo tone that adds just the right mids for that.

13. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

The Morning Glory is based on that circuit, so is the Analogman King of Tone. They aren't really clones. In fact, most new pedals are based on old ones. They mod the circuit as desired.

On my board I have pedals based on the Klon, Timmy, 74 Rams Head Big Muff, Tone Bender, Coloursound Power Booster, a Deluxe Memory Man and a Marshall amp.

They don't necessarily sound like the pedals that came before them, and they don't necessarily have the same components.

For example, there are hundreds of pedals out there based on Tube Screamers. Yet people like to argue whether the TS808 sounds better than the TS9, and for heavens sake, I ain't talking about those reissues.

Yet the TS808.was based on the Boss OD1 circuit. Not a clone, just the backbone of the circuit.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

Right, I just asked because the JHS pedal is supposed to have a Morning Glory and a TS808, as opposed to a BB1 and a TS808, or a Morning Glory and a (insert JHS name of their 808 based circuit).

I think the Morning Glory has a variation on the KoT mods so is maybe more of a KoT or really PoT based circuit, like so many pedals that are more like a PoT but referred to a BB1 based or clones. I have one (KoT/PoT) built on a madbean board, which I think Josh based his Morning Glory board on.

I have a bunch of pedals like yours, Klon based, Muff based, Tone Bender based etc.
    I call them Klone variant, Muff variant, Bender variant.
    Rather than Ralph, Fred and Henry.
    Because they are Klon, Muff and Bender circuits.

Of course the OD250 family has variants too, but straying further and over time earned new names.

Seems a bit odd to me at least to put two different variants in one pedal, and call one by the origin name but the other by a non origin name.
    The Morning Glory was pretty much what put JHS on the map, so maybe that's why the new name is more important than the 808. Or maybe he just couldn't think of anything new to add to the 808?

I like the 808 in the old Rt66 better than any other TS I've tried.
    The comp next to the 808 in the Rt66 is pretty good too.
    Same 808 variant as the 808 side of the Jeckyll & Hyde which has a heavily altered Marshall Shred Master next to the 808.

Dik Ellis likes this.
  15. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If I had to pick one pedal to be my only pedal, it would be a TS. It was for quite a while.

aging_rocker likes this.
  16. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

The 808 is the JHS name for one of their screamers.

OIP.jpeg

telemnemonics likes this.
  17. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The Double Barrel is pedal I came close to buying many times. I'm not a fan of TS type pedals on their own, but they sound great boosting a cranked amp, or a lower gain pedal, like a BD-1 or a Timmy. With the Double Barrel, I'd be boosting the Morning Glory side with the Moonshine.

18. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yea man, that’s a magic combination. Almost 50 years on and it’s still the standard. Strat > TS > BF amp. It just sounds good!!

thunderbyrd, Greggorios and Fluddman like this.
  19. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

I love TS808s... I had over 17 different Tubescreamer variations and always go back to a real Ibanez TS808

They are always ON. I set my amp clean and TS always ON

20. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

Yep. I use them and the Boss SD-1 the same way. Gain down, volume up to add sustain and mids to cut through for a lead.

DADGAD likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.