1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I am steaming like a bucket of clams.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASC67

ASC67 Friend of Leo's

That is good to hear, I think you did the right thing and had every right to be steamed about what happenned.

2. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

The director should be not only on moral/ethical grounds, but also because failure to do so is likely to get their non-profit status pulled by the government regulatory agencies and if word gets around....cause donors...including potential donors to pass on contributing to a dubiously run organization.

There's a specific set of rules and regulations on how donations are supposed to be handled by non-profit organizations...including the specific uses of such donations.

Being sloppy or in this case, deliberately allowing volunteers to steal those donations has a good chance of getting the hammer from such regulatory agencies to strike on such sloppily or "Whatever goes" run non-profits.

While there are allowances to allow non-profits to give away items to volunteers, there's a complex series of procedures they need to perform to ensure the needs of the non-profit's mission come first, that the donated items are "deregistered", and that some period of time must lapse from time of item(s) being donated before doing so.

3. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good deal, you did them a huge favor.

Company and charity management that don't get public feedback, and take that feedback seriously and act on it, are doomed to fail eventually. Seen it happen many times.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd just like to know if the clams are ready. I'm hungry.

Bones, I'm glad the administrator is taking it seriously and taking action.

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This is a real "eats, shoots, and leaves" moment! I think you are looking for the thread, "I am steaming, like, a bucket of clams".

6. netspirit

netspirit TDPRI Member

I agree. I work in service and I have always found that the meanest and most uncompassionate customers have been from non-profit organizations. Don't know why that is.

7. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Well... maybe.

Or rather: Personally, I would not necessarily count on it. That's how it should work, but it doesn't always. Or even a majority of the time, I suspect. But then, I have a pretty cynical outlook on life. Or as I like to call it: practical, and reality based ;)

I have a friend who had a job she loved... she had been a part-timer working cases for an outfit that does domestic abuse crisis management. Pretty important stuff, and occasionally very intense, life and death situations for the clients (but not for her personally).

So awhile back, she got tapped to be a full-time director. After a time working in this position, she suspected one of her equals was siphoning off grocery / dept store gift cards for personal use. Flat out theft. These cards are commonly donated items to the outfit, because they are easy to get, easy to donate, and hugely helpful to people needing a new situation in an immediate way. Unfortunately, they are also akin to donating cash. And another director was stealing the damn things regularly.

My friend got her ducks in a row, had what evidence she could gather, and presented her case to the board once she'd felt she had a solid case. Unfortunately, the other party managed to turn it into a he-said-she-said, and my friend wasn't believed, and was fired. Basically it turned on who knew who for how long, and who was closer to the powers that be. So either they knew, and had tolerated this for years, or they didn't know, and don't want to know the truth.

Either way, the only consolation for my friend was that she had done the right thing, and having done so, was relieved of an incredible stress on her psyche that was starting to wreck her health. And she's well distanced from them now, should some outside entity catch wind of it and proceed to fix the situation. Either way: all I could tell her is that you don't want to be working with people like that, in the long run...

I still don't know how to wrap my head around a person *who regularly works with abuse victims*, denying them a fresh, unbloodied set of clothes, because she wanted to get her niece a new geegaw at Target, using stolen funds :confused: :mad:

Point is: there's no guarantee justice will be served.

---------

Bones done good. I also tend to make a fuss where others wouldn't. It seems like tilting at windmills sometimes, but OTOH, there's that old saying about evil prevailing when good men do nothing...

8. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

You donte animal food to the pound not tv's. This whole thing makes no sense!

9. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

OK, I will explain this one more time. This shelter has rooms that simulate the actual home environment and include sofas, TVs, stereos, dog toys, children's toys and many things that you would find in a real home. This way, people can sit in a comfortable environment and see how the dog behaves in an actual family setting with playing children and noisy things like TVs. The theory is that it helps minimize surprises when people get their new pet home. Knowing this, I called BEFORE I went there and asked if they needed the items I had, they said yes. They also run a Thrift Shop to sell surplus items, so they could have sold them there and got cash for something they did need if they didn't need the items..

That's it. I'm done. Either you get it or you don't. The managing Director got it and was not happy about what went on.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Seems like the more affluent an area is, the less real gratitude you get when you donate things.

Do it in a rural place in western North Carolina and the people are so sweet to you - you can see that it matters in their eyes. They don't care how unusual or challenging to sell something is, they find a way and make the most of it. Give the same thing away in NOLA or DC and you get a funny look.

11. xMercury69x

xMercury69x Friend of Leo's

I think people who donate stuff have a reasonable right of expectation as to who uses the item and how. It seems pretty crass that they up and cherry-picked the TV for personal use and, even worse, came across rather impolite and ungrateful. I hope they get an earful.

12. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I suspected as much.

My wife has been on the board of directors (volunteer, not paid staff) for the local Humane Society for years, and I can guarantee you that this sort of thing would not be allowed to happen with their knowledge, and they would put a stop to it happening again immediately once they were made aware of it.

Their funding is difficult enough without the loss of confidence from the public that this kind of thing can cause. They have enough headaches as is.

13. JazzDreams

JazzDreams Tele-Meister

Bones, I think you handled it well. I have a great appreciation for four leggers - more so than most two-leggers... four-leggers are my favorite people.

Bottom line- your donation was to be used by the organization. The staffer unlawfully took the organization's newly received property. That's theft.

Confronting him at the car turns into 1) fist fight or worse 2) police involvement or 3) the way you did things. Your choice I think was wisest.

No. 1 generally is ruled out. No.2 can be accomplished passive-aggressively. (I can remember license plates.) No. 3 - your solution - benefits more people (four and two-leggers) all around.

Opinions are great to have. Right and wrong, however is binary. either - or. It is not situational. The staffer in this instance was simply wrong.

Good for you.

14. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So now they are going to sack a couple of their unpaid workers? How will that help the animals exactly?

Are there people lining up to muck out dog**** from kennels?

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They should offer a free TV.

16. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

My daughter is developmentally disabled, but highly functional. A few years ago we were trying to get a volunteer gig for her. A local well known shelter said fine and she started going there. She cleaned cages, played with the cats and dogs and generally did anything they asked of her. The owner who hired her was fine, but when she was not around no one else could be bothered. They asked her to do things that she was not capable of doing and then made faces or since remarks when she couldn't so it. Suffice it to say, i got my daughter a dog....elsewhere. And i always go out of my way to badmouth them. I know for a fact that they have lost a decent amount of business because of me. Oh well, they deserve it.

17. PopsCC

PopsCC Tele-Meister

It's not certain the staffers will get sacked. . . they may just get a sack of pet ******* to take home, instead.
    Seriously, they should definitely be read the riot act, and put on warning, and the fellow with the TV instructed to return it. Unless it's not their first offense; in that case, they should be fired.

18. Bones

Very sorry to hear that. When I was the volunteer coordinator at the Aquarium/Riverhead Foundation, this was one of my big issues that I tackled right from the first day. I was shock by how many otherwise intelligent and caring volunteers and staff thought nothing of throwing the "R" word around or treating our special needs volunteers like they were damaged goods.

One of the things that helped was having some meetings with the parents and care-givers of these volunteers to really find out what we were dealing with and how to make their time with us positive for everyone. All of the problem was that none of us were experts in all the issues that were presented to us, but once we put the effort into learning about them, things got a lot better for everyone.

19. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

At the very least! My wife worked at an animal shelter. It's not all cuddles and smooches.

20. Bones

This sentence sums up the main point of the response

..."There is no excuse for this type of behavior and it will be addressed immediately. The entire staff will be redirected to policies and procedures concerning donations....."

No mention of anyone being fired, but you know some people want to engage in hyperbole or fantasy. They are obviously thinking a lot more about this than I am.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.