1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I am steaming like a bucket of clams.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

""As I was returning from my truck with the power cord, the young man was heading to his car with the TV, I asked him what he was doing and he said he was going to take the television home for himself! I told him that the TV was for the shelter’s use and he responded that he had no idea what they could possibly use it for.""

that sucks, Bones..... so "in your face" wrong...

though..I can't believe the kid didn't have the courtesy/nous to wait until you had gone before taking it to the car..... idiot.....ha ha ..... was he worried another staff member might grab it in the few minutes it took you to leave.?....

He should have smiled nicely and thanked you..... and watched you leave.... before stealing the TV......( like most of the people inclined to do that, probably do)....

I hope the Directors act on your email and take a bit more interest in the goings on in their shelter...

2. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

What do you think was going to happen when you took a TV to an animal shelter? Seriously, what would they do with a TV? Take dog food to a animal shelter, take your electronics to Goodwill or Salvation Army or Rescue Mission or take it to the pawn shop and sell it for $50 and buy dog food with the money.

3. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I explained what they do with TVs there and also explained that I called first to see if they needed it. I also explained that they have a thrift shop to sell such items.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Surely they show re runs of Lassie, the Littlest Hobo and Deputy Dog , etc to the poor pooches locked up at the shelter, isn't there an Animal channel on cable.... ?

they don't?... (gasp)...

no TV sounds like cruel and unusual treatment of animals , I'd say..;)

5. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Gee, Bones, you expect folks to read the thread before passing judgment?:lol:

"Passive aggressive" or not, I might have done the same thing. Hey, maybe I would have grabbed the TV back, maybe I wouldn't; you never know until you're there. It's really not that important; what is important is that you have taken the time to lodge a complaint which will hopefully ensure the rules are laid down for future donations.

6. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Someone like Bones, who gave so much of his time and energy to an animal rescue organization might see it in a different way than average people. It has been close to a year since the dog i was supposed to adopt was shot and killed while the rescue organization was trying to find a cage/kennel to have the dog air shipped to Montreal. Maybe if they had a little more money they could afford to have a kennel in each of the villages ready for shipping a dog and saving his life. Bones donations might have been sold to pay for a dog kennel or dog food , medical treatment or whatever. In my case if i had known i would not only have bought and shipped the kennel myself but i would have paid the $2000 plane ticket to go and get the dog.
    It's something that grabs your guts, tortures your soul.
    Every little bit helps.
    Until you have been there.....
    So, did he overreact??
    I think not

7. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The poisonous mice and worms don't bite round here anymore since I wrote a stern letter to their superiors.

Nah - just kidding. I put a spade through them.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If Bones can get this shelter working better, animals will benefit.

I like it when people get angry over stupid behavior. There's too few people who care anymore.

9. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe they guy that took the TV home was working there...for free. He may have been donating his time and energy to the shelter. People who do that deserve a benefit once-in-awhile.

JMO.

10. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With all due respect, that's just silly.

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Dear TDPRI,

Where is my free TV?

--- BDLH

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Based on what I've seen on TV lately.......

I wonder if a person who gave me one (for New Orleans, where I don't have/want one) would be doing me a favor or putting a curse on me?

:^

13. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It shows the "entitlement" culture is growing and needs to be checked where possible. Good on ya, Bones.
    I stopped and turned around to open a door at a local shop the other day for a lady with 2 children and an arm full of groceries and she looked at me like I was a criminal - no "thank you"...???

14. rockingjoe

rockingjoe TDPRI Member

Hi

Please don't hold this against all shelters. There are alot that are good. I had my share of one that had a bad person there.
    If you want to help, there are grass-roots shelters where even though they are non-profit and get donations, they put in their own money and do wonderful things.

peace

15. oldtelefart

oldtelefart Tele-Meister

Bones, good on you for taking the trouble to donate your old stuff.

I see no problem with the guy taking the TV home. At the shelter, I'd imagine they're too busy to watch TV. The shelter worker who took the TV probably makes very little money, so the TV is to the wider benefit of the animal shelter workers community.

The rudeness of the other people mentioned is inexcusable.

16. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

I have become hardened to the behavior of boorish charity recipients and simultaneously a softer touch with questionable charitable gifts. It's a paradox. My new normal is: I don't care what happens once I do my part. If somebody benefits , it makes their life better, and it makes them happy, I'm happy. It's a stress reliever for me. I no longer worry about what happens to my donation or, to a lesser extent, the minutia of the efficacy of the charity itself as compared to similar charities. Life is too short. If someone truly appreciates the gesture or the temporal benefit, that's a bonus. I don't think it's the normal state of affairs these days. I saw some very ugly stuff from charity recipients and employees at a Ronald House from which my brother watched his daughter slowly die. I've let stuff go since. Life is too short.

17. AussieAndrew

AussieAndrew Friend of Leo's

It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys, and then when ya' get ya' head up out of the sh-t all you can see is a--holes.

You did good Bones and they farted in your face. I'd be p-ssed off too !

18. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Bones, I understand where you are coming from. If you had just wanted to get rid of it you would have put a "free" sign on it and put it out at the curb. You wished it to be used for the benefit of a charity. The young man at the shelter was wrong to have taken it home. He violated a trust. So did the woman who offered it to him. I have seen this sort of behavior before. I watched people steal from "Toys For Tots" donation boxes, with the attitude that the people who put the items in them were "giving them away".

19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Heard back from the managing director and they are suitably appalled by what happened and promise to take immediate action to ensure it never happens again. It is not their policy to treat donations this way in any circumstances.

20. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I have to take my hat off to Walmart. I have become so hardened toward people who accost me as I enter and leave the place begging for just enough money to buy a good bottle of booze, or perhaps a night on the town, that almost anything related to charity I encounter has little effect on me anymore.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.