1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I am steaming like a bucket of clams.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

The "people " involved in taking personal posession of the TV and monitor, were NOT the people in charge of regulating the donations uses! It is stealing and should be reported. If this goes uncontested then who knows what they take home! If it is tatally funded by donation does that mean they can take cash home to? Same thing! Stealing!!!

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

What are you talking about? You think when i called them and asked if they need the stuff and they said yes that I could have foreseen this? What "backing donation center"? I don't even know where you get that from. You call the shelter, you ask them if they need items you want to donate and if they say yes you drop them off at the shelter. Then apparently they load them out the back door on Sunday when there are no supervisors on duty. Clearly, I could have seen that coming a mile a way.

I think the people that think I am losing sleep over a 2 year old TV and 5 year old monitor are over blowing it and missing the larger point here.

3. Bones

EXACTLY! Why is that so hard to understand for some people? :confused:

Obviously complaining to the staff behind the counter wasn't going to solve it, so I wrote an email to the people who need to know. That's all. cut and dried.

4. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

They didn't steal from Bones, They are stealing from the animal shelter. And I'll bet not just the TV, as someone said if it walks like a duck,..........

5. Bones

I think unless you have worked in a non-profit and dealt with donations of money, goods and services and how important the public trust is in such matters, it may be hard to understand.

Look at this site, what if it shut down tomorrow because the administrators couldn't pay the bandwidth bill because they used our donated money to buy themselves new scooters? I think everyone here would feel like the donations were stolen and be a bit irked by that.

6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Actually, after thinking about it, I believe that letting the employee take the TV might have a more effective outcome than if everything were nipped in the bud right on the spot. If the TV never left the premises, things might be handled differently. But by alerting the powers that be that an employee actually physically took (re: stole) a donated item, more might be done on a larger, farther-reaching scale.

7. Bones

Maybe, I wasn't going to expend a lot of energy trying to stop him, I just made clear to him that the donation was not intended for him personally. The fact that the other two employees allowed it pretty much signaled to me that causing a stink on the spot would be pointless.

I would much rather be posting about my new cabronita, but you know, AMS screwed me out of that joy for the weekend. So happy to be going back to work tomorrow. :lol::lol::lol:

8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bones, I'm done. I've seen the pattern and I'm embarrassed I even replied. Hope you are more appreciated in the future...

9. Brendo

Brendo Tele-Holic

This is a common problem. Often the 'caring' types who throw themselves into these types of roles are not the same 'governance' types who are needed to ensure things run smoothly. It takes all kinds to run something well, it's not a slight on the people involved, more on the difficulty on getting good help.

Back to the issue at hand, I side with Bones. The item was donated to the shelter, and it 'appears' that this bloke is taking something that wasn't his.

It may not be the case, and the guy could have negotiated something with management to keep this above board. That would be great, but even if that is the case, there's a lot of learning to be done on how to best get it right.

Perception IS reality, and if it's perceived that staff are pinching donated items, then it needs addressing, regardless of whether they are pinching stuff or not. As a director, I'd like to know that stuff.

10. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, to make it seem like yer not that angry of a guy,
    (according to some on this forum)
    write another letter to the board and tell them to
    ignore your first letter.

Then it would be up to them to handle it the way
    they see fit. You are now off the hook! Yer welcome.

11. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

You just met where charity and budget butt heads..............

12. GoodCleanFun

GoodCleanFun Tele-Meister

Next time call the children's ward at your local hospital. They'd love to receive a TV from a kind individual :)

13. cobrat

cobrat Tele-Holic

You did the right thing and frankly, did your part to ensure the ones responsible for policing the donations once they're at the shelter are properly informed to do the policing....the directors of the shelter.

How is it the responsibility of the donor to act in the position of policing donations...especially when other shelter volunteers in the vicinity seem to be condoning theft from the non-profit by one of their peers....just does not compute.

A large part of it is due to the fact non-profits are run mostly on a volunteer basis or worse...convicted offenders working off their community service sentences. The amount of politics involved adds to the "hassle factor" along with the lack of renumeration to make working/volunteering for one unattractive to many folks...especially many "governance types".

Not to mention the "caring" types who volunteer and make up the senior leadership tend to clash with the "governance type" personalities.

Those were some reasons why most with the "governance type" personalities tended to shy away from non-profit organizations from what I've heard and observed from friends who worked in them.

14. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I feel that you did the right thing, on several levels.

I want any proceeds from donations of any kind to directly or indirectly benefit the animals held at the shelter.

15. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

Hey, Bones! I'm sorry this had to happen to you. Your kindness and generosity shouldn't be taken advantage of like this.

I wish that justice and fairness really worked in this life, and that the honest and good were rewarded while the dishonest were punished. Sadly, it never has and never will.

Stay well, Bones.

P.S. I think of you with gratitude often, and hope only good things for you. Every time I see a grumpy little blue bird...

16. Bones

There's nothing wrong with the letter I wrote. It's very professional, no swearing or threatening. But having worked and volunteered with non-profits for many years and having actually been in charge of a 300 person volunteer program, it was very stern and critical of the actions of these people, not the program or the board. It leaves nothing to the imagination. I suppose I could have posted it here so the people who are criticizing me would clearly see all the details, but that would not be proper or fair to the people that the letter was meant for especially since they have not had a chance to respond.

The funny thing is, my actual friends in real life who are almost all involved in charitable causes to one degree or another, are unanimous in their feelings that this was a huge violation of the public trust and most likely illegal.

17. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mate, when the guy was loading your TV into his car was the time to act.

Sorry, but I can't help but point out I think you enjoy the drama.

Either let it go or harden up when the situation you dislike is actually happening.

And google "passive aggressive", because you're it. You've willingly created something to ***** about rather than sorting it out in the first place.

18. Bones

I enjoy the armchair quarterbacking from people like you who choose to see this as something other than it was for the sake of argument. Short of grabbing the TV from the guy and throwing it back in my truck and driving away, there really was no point in doing anything other than informing the bosses as to what was going on there. That's all. Slept like a baby last night, not worried about it in the least. Don't feel like anyone stole my lunch money or anything crazy like that.

How would you have handled it in that moment? As I said everyone on duty was apparently fine with it, so complaining back at the reception desk wasn't going to help and being overtly aggressive with the guy wasn't going to help either. I told him he was doing something wrong and left it up to him to decide how to act beyond that, what would you do?

19. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You up already? It's 6am.

Go back to sleep.

20. Bones

Dude, I'm up at 4 walk 2 miles with the dog, make breakfast, read the innerwebs and then leave for work now, no sleeping in around here. Have a great day, don't get bit by any poisonous mice or worms. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.