1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I am steaming like a bucket of clams.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I would write the letter but a toned down one,For all you know the guy is serving community service for some crime he committed and may not even officially work for the shelter. Let the chiefs decide if he is.

2. tschommer

tschommer Tele-Afflicted

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes...

"If ya always tell the truth, you don't need a good memory."

3. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

That's not what happened.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck..............

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is the reason this all happened to begin with. It would have been so easy to handle the situation as it happened without any drama or silliness.

"Hey, we've got a TV for you"
    No, I meant for this to be used here.

"I'm taking this TV home"
    No, I meant for to to be used here.

But instead you said, "what you want, I'm done with this “event”"
    He heard, "Score!"

No, I'm not simply being a contrarian. I genuinely believe that you could have handled this much better, and writing letters now, after the fact, will only cause trouble and not do anything to improve your perception of what did happen. I would just let it go and chalk it up to people being jerks.

I am telling you, however, that in my opinion you are at least partially to blame for this misunderstanding, and that pursuing it is a misguided exercise. The people at the shelter were clearly not interested in dealing with you, you said yourself that they barely acknowledged your existence. When they ignored you could have turned around and gone home. That's the time to write your letters. Tried to donate, got ignored, happy to still donate for the shelter's use, just contact me and let me know when the shelter manager is in.

This wasn't a strong-arm robbery. That is clearly theft. But, instead you let the class AV Geek steal your lunch money, and didn't even say 'no' to him. That's why you're mad. Or, at least I think that's why you're mad. Or, hope so. You're an adult, and short of a physical confrontation if you let someone else take advantage of you, then you are, at least in part, at fault.

Done here. I do sincerely hope things work out for the best.

5. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Boy, you sure get angry a lot.

6. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Why don't you go to the guys house and set up the TV for him too
    while yer at it!

You might get a free puppy he has stashed away in his garage.

7. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

No I don't.

8. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Last time I went I brought something to the dog shelter it was a huge dog cookie box that my dogs did not want to eat, I figured it was better than throwing them in the garbage. The shelter people insisted I take a bag of dentasticks in exchange

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

9. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry for the bad experience Bones. After years of disappointments with others I finally figured that the less I expect the less disappointed I become all the way down to the point of expecting absolutely nothing. That eliminates any frustration and anger completely.

10. slippin slider

slippin slider Tele-Afflicted

Ouch...........yes I've seen this act before, unfortunately.

Attached Files:

11. Boubou

Somewhere in the USA a cop brought a shiba inu to the shelter, found wandering the streets, the people told him it was a coyotte and to return him to the wilds.
    After arguing he finally did it, it turns out it was and older dog, the owners searched for him and he was never found again.
    Same here, we heard a couple of rabbits were abandoned in the woods near our house, so we went and found them. The shelter people told us they were wild rabbits and they couldn't take them. Yeah right, just try to walk up to wild rabbits,, pick them up and bring them with you.
    So we brought them in, with our 2 dogs and 2 cats, had to have one put down, we paid to have the other one neutered and found her a shelter.
    Not saying they are all like that but.....

12. Boubou

When I donate to the Red Cross for tsunami victims or the New Orleans flood, or the norther puppy organization I support, I want to be sure the money is going to be used to help the people who need it, not the members of the organization for their personal use

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  13. Bones

One of my FB friends pointed out that this animal shelter does have a thrift shop where they sell second hand items to raise money for their animals. In my mind, that really seals it, the people at the reception desk and the guy who actually took the TV "conspired" to cheat the foundation out of a charitable donation. Even if they could not have used it in the shelter, they certainly could have gotten $50 for it at the thrift shop.

14. rwsand

rwsand Tele-Afflicted

Bad behavior, sorry you good deed was soured by the jerk. Please don't let it stop you on the future.

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

15. Bones

My experience is that it has less to do with one jerk and more to do with lack of oversight and poor supervision.

I have worked and volunteered with animal rescue groups for most of my life and unfortunately, many of them lack an exceptional level of professionalism in how they run the business of caring for animals. There seems to be an attitude that as long as they are helping animals, they get a pass on any transgressions they may make along the way.

16. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

That's a tough situation. Sorry they chose to do that. It's baffling how others respond to acts of kindness. Don't let this experience taint the intent in your heart originally. You can plant a seed, but whether it grows depends on many factors. Just detach as much as possible from the situation if you can, and keep planting.

17. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My only suggestion here would be to "pick your battles". The energy you are putting into this donation issue is not being directed to helping animals.

18. Bones

I'm not putting any energy into it other than the email that i sent to the board of directors. However, if this leads to a policy of ensuring donations are not going out the backdoor as fast as they come in the front door, that will help the animals in the long run.

When I volunteered with the dolphin rescue, we had a form that inventoried every item that came in no matter how small. We got the person's name and info and sent them a thank you letter and a receipt for their taxes and spent some time showing them around the animals if they wanted to see them.

19. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

The one time you needed your camera!

20. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Holy crap...I agree with Nick...I better go to bed...:lol:

Bones, you're most certainly smarter than to let the desk staff at any not-for-profit cause this kind of over blown event. Every single issue involved was really forseeable and could have been delt with by contacting the backing donation center. I admire your intent but am disappointed by your reaction and subsequent post...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.