1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I am steaming like a bucket of clams.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bones, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe the local paper or TV station, would be interested in that rat's nest of thieves?

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't get it.

It was stuff that you were getting rid of. Since you gave it to the shelter you have no right to get miffed, it's their stuff at that point. The guy at the shelter may well be working for free, or at best minimum wage. The TV may have been a bright point in an otherwise bad week, month or lifetime. Why not just let the guy have the TV you had no use for, and be satisfied that you did somebody a good turn?

3. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Because the donation was for the benefit of the shelter,
    not for the personal benefit of one of their employees.

Same goes with other charitable organizations where the leader
    lives an lavish and opulent lifestyle and everyone else is
    sleeping in a van down by the river.

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

maybe you are unsure of how non-profits are supposed to deal with donations.

how would the Salvation Army do if every time someone made a donation, the people who worked/volunteered there cherry picked all the good stuff and took it home?

The point of donating the TV and monitor to them was because they said they had a need for it with the implication it was an in-house need. If I wanted to give it to an individual who was down on their luck, I would have done that.

The other point is, when you donate stuff like that you are supposed to get a receipt and you can write off the depreciated value on your tax return if you do an itemized return. So in essence, when an employee takes something home, the taxpayers are subsidizing a TV or whatever for an individual. The whole point is to get things donated so that funds can go more directly to animal care instead of buying office supplies.

5. dsutton24

Frankly I couldn't care less how they're supposed to deal with donations. You're going to go to war against an animal shelter over a TV and monitor that you had no use for? Why be such a misery over surplus 'stuff'?

If you had expectations about how the stuff was to be used, why did you not make that clear up front? The 'implication of an in-house need' obviously didn't sink in with the staff of the animal shelter. You had an opportunity to correct that impression, and chose not to take it. Fair enough, the guy who got the TV may have had a good use for it. If you didn't want the guy to have the TV, why didn't you say something to him then?

It's just stuff, why stress over it? The animal shelter clearly does good work, why make trouble for them? You run the risk of getting the people involved into trouble over an old TV. Is it worth getting some guy you don't know disciplined, fired, or even arrested for theft of an old TV?

If so, go for it.

6. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Man, that is just wrong on several levels. You realize you're condoning theft? Sheesh.......

7. dsutton24

Nope, not condoning theft. It's not theft if he knew the guy was taking the TV and didn't say anything to him.

This thread is about a guy who donated some unwanted stuff to an animal shelter. The shelter, with his full knowledge, gave the stuff away. He didn't do anything to correct the situation. He was the only adult in the room, so to speak, and didn't deal head-on with the situation.

He, in essence, gave the TV to the shelter guy, then bellyached about it later. Now, these people are in jeopardy of getting into trouble over a misunderstanding. That's pretty shabby.

That's what's wrong here.

8. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

That bucket of clams looks great.I'll be stopping at the seafood shop on my way home tomorrow .Haven't had them in some time..Thanks Bones for the reminder.

9. simonsp

simonsp Friend of Leo's

cut

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  10. Bones

Wrong again. When people are on the clock at a place like this, they are not there for their own benefit, they are there to accept things and do things on behalf of the foundation.

The guy who was taking the TV out, was not the person who accepted it as a donation, though none of them properly accepted it anyway and that's the point. Yes, it's "surplus stuff" but it was given with a purpose.

In essence what you are saying is that if I dropped off a $20 cash donation and they decided to buy lunch for themselves instead of logging it in and depositing it with the larger donations, you would be OK with that?

I think you are just looking to be a contrarian here for the sake of argument and i'm not sure why. I guess I could have tackled the dude, dragged him back into the building and made a giant fuss in front of families that were there adopting pets. OR I could let it go and write a letter to the people who actually need to know how their people are handling things when no one is watching them.

11. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just curious, why did you pick a dog/cat shelter to donate a TV and monitor too?

I'd think of giving them to a struggling local school first. I mean, how many cats and dogs use computers or watch TV? ;o)

12. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One thing that I have learned in all of these years on the internet is that if someone is venting about something that they're really pissed off about, don't draw fire toward yourself by implying that they were somehow in the wrong. Never ends on a warm & fuzzy note.

13. Bones

School teachers here make an average of $120k a year, my school taxes are $8,000 per year, our schools are not poor. Every kid gets a "free" lap top when they go into Junior High. :lol::lol:

They have play rooms at the shelter that simulate actually living spaces to see how the dog s will react to every day things, so they use TVs and stereos to test how the dog will react to a typical family setting. They still have some CRT monitors in their offices so a flat monitor would free up some desk space for an office worker.

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Bones

I've seen it all too often at these kinds of places.

Not all of them are Larcenists at heart, but the ones that are really put a black eye on the ones trying to do good.

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That, and animals are generally much better people than people are. ;)

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Good point...

I've always given my old TV, computers, and other stuff that still worked well to friends or family, always asking first if they could use it (I hate foisting old stuff on folks unless they really want it). If they can't use it, it goes to the local Goodwill store.

That said, I do understand your anger. You called first saying what you were willing to donate, they said "sure come on down", then ignored you, were ungrateful, and let a volunteer walk off with the TV. So a letter to the higher-ups is called for IMO, just so they learn to act professionally, and as a proper charity should.

17. Bones

Yeah, my friends and family are set with stuff like that. I gave my 42" to the guy who cuts my grass. Beyond that, I have a list of places that I donate stuff to and call them to see if they need it so that I'm not just dumping stuff on them that they don't need. So, if the dog shelter didn't need this stuff, I would have went down the list until I found someone who did, then it would be my choice.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My local RCSPCA is great. I have lots of interaction with them and I would never paint them with that same brush, or generalize wildly about all charities.

19. Bones

This place used to be run by the town for years and it was great. Now a non-profit has taken it over and I guess they are not running a very tight ship.

20. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

+1

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.