1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I am liking my Stratocaster more and more

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by teleplayer99, Jan 24, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Holic

I wished I love either of mine as much as my Mexican PBass. LOL.

I don't get it, I'm always searching for better tone with my guitars but for some reason my PBass can cover all the ground I want from super low and bassy to trebly (which I don't do much), never feel weird while playing and do it all with one pick up. And just a bit of knob turning on the bass or the amp.

I keep thinking I should just put a middle pup in my Strat and emulate my Pbass and maybe it will work like that. LOL.

I'm concerened that I'm actually really not a Tele guy but some other brand but I've never found guitars I liked playing much more than my Fenders. But I always want to hear more growly sounds from them. But the problem is like most of you know, low growly guitars sort of get lost in a mix... But strats and teles are like, oh there you are, no problem hearing that.

When I had the Music Pastor listen to the music I started recording at church he described it as "Jangly". Which irritated me. Even though I don't think he meant it in a bad way. LOL. For some reason I don't want to be "jangly". I want to be smooooooth, like.. like... a bass. LOL.

I think when it's all said and done, my ears just like hearing bass more than all of it. And singing too. LOL.

WingedWords likes this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Is it actually an AVRI, or the 2014 AV limited edition one with the polystyrene "first style" knobs, switch tip, and vibrato tip?

If it's the latter, it's a great guitar, with great pickups, a great case, a great "one tone sunburst" finish, and so on. Congrats on picking one up. I feel fortunate to have one, and consider it a "lifer" guitar.

For me, the keys to making a Strat "work" are:

1) Original wiring. Three way switch, no tone control on bridge pickup. The notch positions are too thin and have a weird e.q. I, quite literally, NEVER use them. Even more importantly, they make it harder to quickly and positively return to the middle position, which is my most commonly used switch position on a Strat. With a three way switch, I can very coarsely and quickly hit the switch to get it to pop right back into the middle position. With a five way, it has to be more precisely "placed" there. Five ways are cumbersome, and provide me with nothing extra that I would ever use.

2) Set the amp up around the middle pickup. Middle is therefore the "home base" tone. Most of your switching then happens between middle and neck. But you can flip to the bridge pickup as needed for maximum, unadulterated treble. Just like original Tele and Esquire wiring, the maximum brightness that the guitar has to offer is what you get in switch position 1. No knob monkeying. You just flip the switch and there it is. Don't want it any more, then you flip out of it, without having to re-set your tone knobs.

These things don't matter as much in a studio, but for live, I just won't play a Strat unless it has a three way switch and original wiring.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  3. Mission6_OG

Mission6_OG Tele-Meister

I put down my strat to read this post.

Guitardvark likes this.
  4. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

yup. put emg wizzes in mine of the david gilmour type. fender shoreline gold is absolutely beautimus. almost like paint candy . a good set up with proper intonation cured most of the problems this one had when I bought it.:)

good for weddings funerals and polka bands too....must have more gold!!

strat 2 (2).jpg

lupowitz, donrichfan and FortyEight like this.
  5. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

I have become even more of a bedroom player than I was before, but I do play at least one of my guitars every day. (The things you get to do when you retire!)

I came to the startling realization a couple of weeks ago that I actually like my Squier Affinity Strat more that I like my Gretsch 5120 (the Chester), which cost between 3 and 4 times as much. Better intonation and plays easier.

6. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

I am sorry that I did not post in the Stratocaster forum, but this is my favorite forum!. I love Telecasters and I have to say that the Broadcaster was sold because I knew it would sell quickly...took all of 3 hours! But I do like this fatter neck and deep cutout and sound. But they are more common, so how do you beat a used Broadcaster when selling?

7. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Meister

Another thing I noticed recently, keeping in the spirit of this thread:

The young lady who plays guitar in our church orchestra used to play a Gibson ES-335 (or something that looks like one). The most recent two Sundays I have noticed she is playing a Stratocaster.

8. MahoganyStratDZ

MahoganyStratDZ Tele-Holic

Most comfortable electric built to date for me always my main guitar. Legendary tone historically. I think the biggest issue players experience is knowing what they want from their sound and electrical and acheiving it, proper set ups also though minor secondary, it becomes a fatigue.

9. Muadzin

Muadzin Tele-Meister

I was always a Strat guy through and through, and one that thought Tele's were fugly as f***! Never dreamt of EVER owning one. Now I am still a Strat guy through and through, but Tele's are now my next best thing and pretty good looking in their own right. Leo Fender was a ******* genius having created so many good usable guitars.

10. Alex_C

Alex_C Tele-Meister

Strats are phenomenal guitars, we all need a Tele and a Strat. ;)

FortyEight likes this.
  11. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I go back and forth as well. I have a really good Telecaster and a really good Legacy. It's like choosing a favorite kid I guess.

IMG_0305.jpg

Alex_C and FortyEight like this.
  12. rsclosson

rsclosson Tele-Afflicted

I have a frankenstrat that I build out of spare parts. I would never sell it as it wouldn't bring me any significant $$. But it is really a nice sounding and playing guitar so I really wouldn't want to sell.

Alex_C likes this.
  13. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Delete-o!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
  14. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

Always loved strats, just such a playable instrument. It truly is an evolution from the tele in a lot of ways. Both instrument designs were hit out of the park if you ask me.

15. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

funny, I got my US Fender Performer Strat about a year and a half ago. Great guitar and I have it tweaked perfectly.

But there was a dead spot at the 7th fret on the D string. So I clamped on that hideous looking broken Snark and it worked eliminating the dead note!! Didn't need the brass Fathead, etc.

A few months ago I noticed I don't need to use it anymore...
    Probably the Good Vibrations of playing it alot eliminated it and all that magic ferry dust mojo!!
    IMG_20200112_162034176.jpg

16. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

Strats are great. Teles are great. Preferences evolve, and there's no reason you can't have great use for both. I have the 4 Thinlines in my avatar, but also 4 Strats.

17. OmegaWoods

OmegaWoods Tele-Meister

Here are my two "stand" guitars which I play daily. I love them both for different reasons. They both have chunky necks, which I love. I'd be hard pressed to choose between them. Blue Friends.jpg

18. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

Stratocaster, Telecaster.
    The eternal question
    Can't get enough of either.
    May have too many of both.

19. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I have always tried to love Stratocasters. They really are comfortable to play. But I could somehow never bond with them like I do a Telecaster, and the knobs/switch always seemed in the wrong place for me. Also, I've always thought that, despite the comfort, they didn't feel "substantial" enough. Fast forward to late 2019, and I buy not only a Strat, but one with a fairly thin neck, and a thinner-than-standard body. Talk about insubstantial. But it's a hardtail (yay!), and just needed a pickup swap to earn #2 status. If my mood is right, it even slips up to #1 occasionally!

Disclaimer: it's a Strat in shape only; one pickup with volume no tone.

FortyEight likes this.
  20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've been thinking about Strats ever since I built a Nashville. The OC Duff Fillmore in the middle just kills with the set of Buckaroos. The blade switch is a 5-way, with positions like a Strat. Press the S-1 volume and get some series tones, plus Neck/Bridge in parallel, and all three pickups at once. The parallel combos that include the Fillmore are SO Stratty sounding.

So, I've been gathering materials and hardware. As soon as the weather warms up, I'll build my ideal Strat. Early 60s specs, plus a fat V neck. Super light swamp ash body (total guitar weight will be around 6-1/2 lbs), and a 5A curly maple neck, roasted and quartersawn. Olympic white nitro, and a dark rosewood board.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.