1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I am liking my Stratocaster more and more

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by teleplayer99, Jan 24, 2021.

1. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

A Tele is versatile for a lot of material.

And, it will always resonate with me.

But, I can't get that Strat neck pu, woody, funky, grunt from it.

You know...

Think, Tony Joe White.

2. BUG80

BUG80 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I think Teles will always be my favourite but sometimes I like to spend some quality time with positions 2&4 on a Strat :)

howardlo likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

You'll be back to a Telecaster pretty soon ... that Tele bridge pickup tone is too addictive.

glenlivet and Sconnie like this.
  4. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

A good strat is the hardest thing to find in the guitar world. Even the good ones don't do it for me though, they're too anemic. (useless description/reasoning haha)

I'm happy for you but not jealous at all :twisted::lol:

5. WingedWords

WingedWords Friend of Leo's

I bought my Strat about 30 years ago, mainly because I love the sound of so many Strat players. But these days, if I want an alternative to my Teles, I turn to my Jazzmaster.

The Strat's staying though!

howardlo likes this.
  6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have one Player Series strat. It motivated me to put a belly cut and slight arm bevel on my last tele <<partscaster. Everything on a strat just melds with my body so nicely. Strat necks are incredible.

7. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I built a lockdown strat that I haven't been able to put down. I am not a Strat guy, but I am very connected to this guitar. I totally get the appeal of Strats now, they are just like comfortable slippers. It's all feels. Weird, they don't all feel great. But you would think they would.

8. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

I'm going the opposite way.... the more I play a tele, the less I play my strat(s).

I mean seriously.... who put the volume knob "right there"? and I seem to be bopping the switch a lot too.
    I played a strat for a long time, and never had any issues...but now.... those little things bother me.

WingedWords likes this.
  9. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Here’s mine, a FCS heavy relic ‘69. I swore I’d never touch it, but I rarely used position 2 and missed the bridge and neck combined like I have on my Telecaster. @charlie chitlin suggested switching the positions of the neck and middle pickups. That’s exactly what I want for playing clean. I still spend most of my playing time on the middle pickup but now I have everything I need. And this Strat twangs on the bridge or middle pickups played alone and sounds enough like a Telecaster on the bridge and neck to keep me happy 4C7B2302-CD33-4D40-9863-729CF4D6A12B.jpeg

10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Strats are great! I've posted this before, but once I got a Tele and stopped trying to chase Tele tones with a Strat, I've been able to better appreciate my Strat on its own terms. Strats and Teles are a great combo and there's really not that much ground you can't cover with a good Strat and Tele.

moskasound, Mr powers and chris m. like this.
  11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I've been doing a lot of recording lately and the Strat gets the call a lot. It may sound anemic on stage, but the 2 position sounds just right on a lot of the music I've been recording lately.....

Mr powers likes this.
  12. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

I've got a neck-on push-pull (bunch of other ways to do it, too) and I like bridge and neck even better than those--such a useful tone.

13. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

The thing about a strat is they have a certain unique sound nothing else has and it's great. You can fall out of love with it sometimes even for a couple years. But you always come back and say to yourself why did i leave it in the case all that time. The human ear and mind plays all kinds of tricks on you making you prefer one thing more then the other for a time. The thing i find about strats its they have a certain jangle i like that nothing else really quite has. No matter how much you think another guitar can approximate it, in the end you always come full circle and realize a strat is it's own thing and if you ever liked that you always will even if something like a tele grabs your attention more for a month, year or several years. That's why i will always have at least one strat and when i and having a love affair with a different guitar for a long time, no matter how long i won't sell the strat because i know i will always need that sound at times. Right now a epi 2020 special is all i seem to wanna play, but one day a week or month or year from not i'll pick up the strat and remember why i played them all my life. Even tho for several years now i've been far more into teles and specials, if i had to sell everything but one i'd keep the strat.

Nahtabot and JIMMY JAZZMAN like this.
  14. blue17

blue17 Tele-Meister

Well there's a reason it was Leo's improved model...

I'll show myself out.

Dan German and schmee like this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I love the old school sunburst!
    The world really needs a modern Tele with belly cut, strat cord input, and controls located where Strat controls are instead of the cumbersome control plate.!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    moskasound likes this.
  16. BUG80

That's cool! How does that compare to the Tele's middle position tone-wise?

17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I actually prefer the Tele control plate because it is easy to mess with the wiring without having to remove the pickguard and strings. On a Strat I end up loosening the strings, capo-ing so they don't fall off, then taking the neck off so I can flip the neck and strings out of the way and get to the wiring by removing the pickguard. But when troubleshooting wiring it can be a real pain if I end up having to take that neck on and off several times before solving the problem. With an old school Tele it's so much easier. Just pull up the control plate, and the pickguard can even be removed and slid out from under the strings (provided it's true old school with the neck pickup mounted into the body rather than onto the pickguard).

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The "Schmee" signature model! :eek:
    [​IMG]

moskasound and Jay Jernigan like this.
  19. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

To my ear, it's pretty close. Useful tone for rhythm and lead. All 3 on is...weird. Very quacky, good for funky rhythm sounds.

I've got one Strat with Lace Sensor Golds, and since there's no difference between them or RWRP, I just flip-flopped the middle and bridge in the pickguard, sacrificing neck/middle for neck/bridge.

20. BUG80

Yes I hear you on the all 3.. I have a USA Deluxe Tele with that option but never used it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.