I am gonna build a Tele

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by bamboofrog, Mar 18, 2009.

1. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Hi all

This is my first post and my first ever build. I have very limited woodwork skills so progress is likely to be slow.

Ok the build is going to be pretty traditional. Two piece swamp ash body and maple neck.

I am going to have a go at building the neck myself, so I have a maple blank and have tried to make things a bit easier by getting a pre-slotted maple fretboard.

Chrome hardware, possibly a mini humbucker in the bridge but I am still undecided.

So here goes:
    [​IMG]

So I made a bit of progress, the pieces of swamp ash were not quite square for glueing , so I got my plane out and had a bit of go.

I got a little over enthusiastic and managed to make these even worse.

[​IMG]

But came back it to it the next day with an engineers square to see where things have gone wrong and sorted the problem, amazing what a couple mil does to put things out.

Got it glued up and put on the sash clamps and left it for 24hrs
    [​IMG]

Now the moment of truth, did my first attempt at joining to bits of wood work out?

[​IMG]

Well it seems to have, not perfect but for my first attempt I am pretty pleased. Got a busy couple of days at work ahead now so will probably have to wait for the weekend to get on with anything else.

2. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Postman left me a present. Nearly done now, just need to cut around everything:D

[​IMG]

3. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Thats a gorgeous body blank. Don't f#@* it up... :D

BTW, welcome to the forum. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Looks like you are on the right track so far.

4. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nothing to it ............. just cut, rout and sand away everthing that doesn't look like a Telecaster.........[​IMG]

5. Schizotronic

Schizotronic Tele-Meister

NICE wood you have in your hands. Good luck. It seems you're on the right way. All the luck at the time of routing the neck pocket. Consider doing it first, so you have more "meat" around it.

6. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Cheers all, I will try my best not to mess things up. My template should arrive for the weekend, then on with the show!

It is the neck that gives me the most nightmares, but I intend to take things slow and if things go really bad I will grab a ready made one.

7. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Building a neck isn't really that hard. Its just a bit time consuming to get it right. Do some research here. There are some great neck building threads here. Take your time and feel free to ask lots of questions.

8. ryguy76

ryguy76 TDPRI Member

oooh.... I'm excited for this thread. Similar places you and I are in, except you're starting before me. I'm gonna see what I can learn from you.

Good Luck!!

Ryan

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

gotta love that grain. Hope everything turns out great.

10. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I concur.

11. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Made a little bit of progress, my templates came on monday and so I got the body roughed out.

[​IMG]

Pretty pleased with how it went with the jigsaw, better than i anticipated.

Need to have a practice with my router before I let myself loose on the body.

12. Schizotronic

Good, man. Now onto the sand, rasp, scraper... Be brave. And go slowly since some of these rough cuts were REALLY close to the line. Good luck.:eek:

13. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Fire up the router

Stuck down the template, took a deep breath and started up the router.
    [​IMG]

I am pretty pleased with the result that tape is bloomin' strong I struggled to get the template off, so on the other side I used a bit less tape and had a bit of an accident, the template slipped a bit leaving a bit of ridge, d'oh. :rolleyes:

I could do with a drum sander to even it all out, but I haven't got one of those. Any suggestions for cleaning it up?

[​IMG]

14. snosewo

snosewo TDPRI Member

That is a nice piece of ash....sorry had to, nobody else has said it yet... :)

Good luck with the build, can't wait to see how it turns out! What type of finish are you going to use on that bad boy?

15. tcarp

tcarp Tele-Holic

sorry...zigged when I shoulda zagged. I posted in the wrong spot.

Tom

16. Schizotronic

Did you use a router bit with a ball-bearing guide? Now I see what you mean by "the (*&#$$# template:twisted: moving away...)

I would go with the old fashioned scraper blade to finish the side shape. I will tell you MY reasons why:
    - a sharp scraper will remove wood in a controlled manner. I mean, you can get superb control about WHERE and HOW MUCH wood you remove;
    - it will show "hidden" lines of regions that are not square (however your cuts and routing seem perfect to me) as you pass it onto the wood
    - this will give you more confidence to use your hands during the neck shape process
    - and specially, about control yet, the chances to ruin your excellent job so far are very small with a hand tool like this.

17. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Cheers for the encouragment and advice, I was think of using a spoke shave to clean things up. I will have a go this evening and let you know the result.

18. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

All cleaned up

Paid a bit more attention this time and got the body all cleaned up, all grooves and ridges removed :D

(sorry for the grainy pics, camera phone is all I have to hand at the moment)

[​IMG]

19. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Lets make a neck ... or at least have a go

So on with the neck. Drew out the basic shape from the template, marked off the truss rod and set up the router. Deep breath, and some gentle passes with the router

http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp78/bamboofrog/IMG_0264.jpg

Took a little fine tuning but it seems to fit well. I presume you install the metal side/plate down?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I need to glue dow the fret board and the cut out the shape, or should I cut out the neck then glue down the fret board?

[​IMG]

20. bamboofrog

bamboofrog TDPRI Member

Installed the truss rod (the right way up), shaped the neck and fret board
    [​IMG]

then glued it and clamped it all together.
    [​IMG]

Seems to be going ok so far.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.