I am almost but maybe not quite ready

Knows3Chords

Tele-Afflicted
What I hate about Christmas is that people act crazy. Just going to a grocery store, or any store for that matter, turns into insanity. It seems like so much work and stress. Gifts should be just for the little ones. It should be entirely about good food, good drink, good deeds, good friends and/or family, and your faith if so inclined. That's it. It should be a time to slow down and enjoy the non material, non commercial part of life that really means something.

Jupiter

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I always thought Japan was a good place to weather Christmas. The population is less than one percent Christian so it's just not a thing.
well, it's a kind of a thing. It's less of a thing. Scrape the frothiest bit off a US Christmas and run it through google translate and you got Japan Christmas.

It's totally overshadowed by New Year's here, which actually serves a lot of the same functions: family gathering, special food, annual church visit (well, shrine in the case), and economic churning, except here there's no mucking about with finding presents, cuz the kiddies all get CASHEESH.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
Posting this because it’s Sunday afternoon here and I’m debating putting on some Johnny Mathis 😆 🎄
9797C407-BF9C-4EE1-8A7B-4A03BF8DD4E6.jpeg
The quintessential Christmas album! Hearing it brings back warm memories of my childhood in Louisiana.

I used to have a tradition of wrapping Christmas presents while listening to this album. It always made me emotional particularly, “O Holy Night”, my mom’s favorite but “I’ll Be Home For Christmas” and “The Christmas Song” could get tears going too.

The songs don’t have the same meanings to me as they once did but they still evoke a visceral response to the memories of family, excitement and wonder.

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
Christmas music sucks, that’s why so many people turn mean during December. It’s just raw hatred coming through your speaker. No, some of it is NOT good so don’t even try, you know who you are.
As a parent you’re doing the right thing by limiting the time that audio horror show can fill your home that you pay for.

Also make it about family. Gift giving is fun but don’t make it a source of stress.
Should I close the door on my way out?

(acoustic guitar in one hand and a cup of eggnog in the other)

Lock it?

studio

Poster Extraordinaire
xmas is usually a non event for me... though this year I get to play santa for my brothers 13yr old grand daughter..

She's playing bass now and asked if old uncle trev could make her a bass...

I have this spare 3/4 bass here I used for my school kids rock band... which I'll be happy to give her...

there is hope ... a young musician in the family... sweet...:)
So, if you teach her all the standard Christmas songs now, she'll have paying gigs in Nov/Dec for the rest of her days!

Santa is not opposed to making a little money round the holiday!

Santa, the original Going Green Hippie!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
you know how there's been somewhat of a black friday backlash?
well hey, the same may just happen for the over-commercialized trainwreck known as chri$tma$

I for one, hope it does.

And yeah, that is agenda posting, right there.
Back when the world was sane, I used to actually enjoy Black Friday. Here locally, if you went early, the better stores served coffee, and pastries, it was an EVENT. I once took my wife and her friend shopping, a delightful lady from England, on Black Friday. I bought my wife eight new jackets, and I even bought the lady with us one.

What they do out there on Black Friday holds no interest for me now. Lots of folks say we are better off now than ever before, but I'm not buying that, nor am I buying at the store.

acousticnitemare

Tele-Meister
I do my best to generate Christmas spirit.

I'll put up my fake tree w/lights & "ornamental" doodads, cook myself a great Xmas dinner, watch "A Charlie Brown Christmas", a religious film, the Scrooge film, and Miracle on 34th Street and whatever else I can dig up, text Xmas wishes, and generally emphasize thankfulness for what's left of me.
My thinking is, ya gotta get outside yourself.

I could stop in here to see if anybody wants to trade wishes or zingers.

You can keep the Christmas music, outside of what's on the films, except...
I think Mariah Carey's hot!

OlRedNeckHippy

Poster Extraordinaire
"..... in a country where Christmas is 1)not even a holiday, and 2)most closely associated with KFC ......."
Say WHAT? KFC?
Christmas and Fried Chicken. Um... can you explain this?

Well.....a quick google and I found it:
Fried chicken is often eaten on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day. It is the busiest time of year for restaurants such as KFC and people can place orders at their local fast food restaurant in advance! There was an advertising campaign by KFC in the 1974 called 'Kentucky for Christmas!' (Kurisumasu ni wa kentakkii!) which was very successful and made KFC popular for Christmas!

Pretty cool.

rjtwangs

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I love Christmas and spending time with family and friends. Good food and football and holiday jams! I'll hear from friends around the globe and wish them and their families a great holiday season. I'm very sorry that some of you don't look forward to this time of year and I'm wishing all of you the very best and hope that you get thru it the best you can....Nancy and Mr T also wish you the best....
IMG_284224118901674.jpeg

RJ

notabot

TDPRI Member
My local grocery store was just playing some song with a very PC verse. The voice was singing out all the group names who have a holiday in December and wishing that group a very happy merry season. They got everyone covered with one song. Corporate efficiency at it's finest.