1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I am about to start my first amp build.

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Ironwolf, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Jason McG

Jason McG TDPRI Member

hey Ironwolf, I see Stewmac specs out a bipolar 250uF 25V aluminum electrolytic. what do they supply with the kit? mind posting photo of it, with the manufacturer and specs? I am following their build layout, but can't seem to find a bipolar cap. Wonder if it can be substituted with a standard polarized cap? thanks!!

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I have that one installed on the board already. It is marked as a Sprague Atom TVA1208. It is not marked as bipolar so I installed it with the markings oriented as the wiring diagram indicates. Hopefully, it is either bipolar or the orientation will be correct.

3. _Steve

_Steve TDPRI Member

Great thread and the build is coming along nicely!

Would you mind taking a closeup photo of that sticker on top of the output transformer? I too am curious what iron they are supplying with the kit.

4. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

The sprague datasheet lists the tva1208 as polarized so follow the markings.:)

5. Ironwolf

More info on the Sprague capacitor in question. The wiring illustration shows the turret 52 connection from the cap leading to pin 8 and pin 3 of V1. The circuit diagram indicates that the cap is oriented with the + towards V1 which is how I have it mounted. I am going to call StewMac to verify this.

Jason McG and 8barlouie like this.
  6. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

I looked at the stewmac instructions. Yes, the positive side of the cap should be towards the V1 (turret 52).
    No worries.:cool:

7. Ironwolf

I received an answer from StewMac support, and they also confirmed the orientation of the capacitor is with the positive terminal towards V1, i.e. attached to turret 52.

Jason McG and Lowerleftcoast like this.
  8. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

Since you have not put anything on the tube sockets I would twist up the heater wires a little mor at the sockets. At the sockets is where the twisting has a good effect since other parts And wires will be close bu on the sockets. Can’t hurt if you get him when it is finishes it is hard to get at the heater wires and twist them some more
    Cheers Ron.

9. Ironwolf

Worked on the turret board today.

Got about half way through and broke for lunch.

break for lunch.JPG

By the end of the day I had everything populated (including the back which isn't shown). However, there was one part missing. a 1/2 watt 15K Ohm resistor which mounts between turrets 26 and 37. I already ordered a small pack which should be here Monday.

almost done.JPG

In the picture, some lead trimming remains to be done. It has been.

I was asked to show the labels of the transformers. Here is the power transformer.

power transformer tag.JPG

And the output transformer.

output transformer tag.JPG

Tomorrow I'll take a soft tooth brush and my can of flux remover and give the board a good scrubbing.

Jason McG likes this.
  10. Ironwolf

Cleaned up the board and installed it.

The testing did not go well. The initial voltage tests were spot on, but as I started testing the gain stages and tone stack circuitry, readings were all over the place.

I began by retesting all the connections. The solder joints and grounds all tested good. Continuity from the board connections to the filter caps, pots, and tube mounts all tested good. I then started re-checking individual components.
    I discovered a couple of resistors that were not passing current. I replaced them and retested from the beginning. Everything checked out. I adjusted the power tube bias and plugged into a 2x12 cab and tried a guitar. It sounded great.

Here is the chassis after the trouble shooting and rework.

reworked chassis.jpg

I mounted the chassis in the cabinet and closed up the back.

chassis mounted.jpg

back attached.jpg

This is how it looks assembled.

front panel.jpg

This has been a very educational and fun project. I will be casting about for similar projects in the future. If I can get my recording gear setup and working, I will try to add some sound clips in the future. In the mean time, this has replaced the Origin 50 in my wet/dry rig.

Gleesonjf, LiteAsh, SacDAve and 9 others like this.
  11. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Wow, Wolf, that is awesome. Nice job.

12. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That’s a really nice looking amplifier. Nice job.

13. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Meister

Nice looking work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.