I always wondered how hold a Flying V

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Ha! Man.... wonder if he still has that thing today? Worth some super big $$$ today if he does. I held an original once, many years ago, and it felt awkward to me for sure.

Powdog

Tele-Meister
1656248799913.jpeg

The correct way.

knavel

Tele-Holic
Ha! Man.... wonder if he still has that thing today? Worth some super big $$$ today if he does. I held an original once, many years ago, and it felt awkward to me for sure.
Unfortunately he sold it in the 90s. It came up for auction a few years ago and no value seems to have been added for the fact that it was his. If I had the money this would be the only "celebrity guitar" I'd want to own.

1656248964537.png

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
Always thought I wanted a V. Got a great deal on a Gibson 5 or six years ago. Took it back the next day.Great playing and sounding guitar but I just couldn’t get used to it when I was sitting down.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Unfortunately he sold it in the 90s. It came up for auction a few years ago and no value seems to have been added for the fact that it was his. If I had the money this would be the only "celebrity guitar" I'd want to own.

View attachment 998018

I think I actually remember seeing that auction, and was rather shocked at what it sold for. Forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder! And to think there was probably a 20-30% buyer premium on it too... wowzers!

knavel

Tele-Holic
I think I actually remember seeing that auction, and was rather shocked at what it sold for. Forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder! And to think there was probably a 20-30% buyer premium on it too... wowzers!
That price included the buyer premium.

FuzzWatt

Tele-Holic
They're alright to sit with, you just gotta sit classical style with your knee between the forks.

Although I no longer own one, Vs are, in my opinion, the best sounding Gibsons. They're full but a little more clear sounding. I believe it's due to the proximity of the bridge to the edge of the body. Less wood around it than say an SG or a Firebird.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I did pause the video at the :25 second mark. Was the design based on form follows function? When your elbow is in that position, your pick strums the strings at a more nearly equal distance from the strings. Normally, the higher-pitched strings are strummed a little closer to the bridge for a brighter sound.

Red Ryder

Tele-Afflicted
Always thought I wanted a V. Got a great deal on a Gibson 5 or six years ago. Took it back the next day.Great playing and sounding guitar but I just couldn’t get used to it when I was sitting down.
If you just have sit you just hook it over your leg and play, it's easy.