I almost cut my hair today

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DrPepper, Jan 15, 2019.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gives new meaning to the term "split ends"...

dngrsdave likes this.
  2. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

had it long since a kid..society makes a certain mold image and you are judged unfortunately..economically-socially and all kinds of stuff..i get called a junkie--a hippie--a surfer..lol..i dont give a crap what people look like..i see it all, everyday..i only care where is the gun hidden so i can protect myself...for me ..its part of who i am..just the era and music i grew up on...when i cut it once..my kids freaked..wanted their dad back...first time i heard "Get off my lawn" was from on this site ..just from a pic of me..that person will not say that to my face..guaranteed !!!!

Ben-Zion, william tele and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. william tele

I just tried to reply to TD but things went haywire. Anyway, you confirmed what my reply was. These days if you see someone with years of hair they probly have a job that allows it, they own their own business or already made so fricken' much money they don't need to please anybody. I get it... I'll admit to cutting my hair just to get work and I'd do it again. But to me, I wouldn't feel like selling out because my hair just wasn't ever that big a deal to me.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    Toto'sDad and bftfender like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I was just curious, thanks for the answer. I had my hair pretty long back in the 70s, and 80s including a pretty lengthy beard, but on a run to San Francisco, I was fueling my truck at a truck stop and a guy walked up to me, and asked what I was holding. I told him, just this nozzle and if you don't beat it, I'll squirt you down and see if you can catch my lighter. When I got back in, without any ceremony, I went to a barber shop and got a shave and a haircut. NOBODY recognized me at work. I never went back, but I respect how you feel about it.

william tele likes this.
  5. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

This one?...

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

It gives dangle berries a whole new meaning.

7. mrmousey

mrmousey Tele-Meister

It's been said before, but I'm saying it again .......

Let your freak flag fly !!

Strat Jacket likes this.
  8. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Meister

I never got a haircut I liked, so when I graduated from High school in 1969, I stopped getting it cut. For a short while in the late 70's, when I had a "respectable" job, I kept it trimmed just below the collar, with a very long beard, but then I stopped again. Now, at 68, I really have a hard time giving a crap what anybody thinks about my head. I just brush it all back, and tie it off if I want to keep it out of my face. As my hairline works its way backward, I suppose this is becoming a combover of sorts, but as I said, no craps given.

The other day, when my granddaughter finished brushing her hair in the car, I took the brush and gave myself a little touch-up. She said, "Grampy, you're just brushing your bald."

bftfender and Strat Jacket like this.
  9. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i feel like i owe it to someone

10. Toto'sDad

You know the hair thing was that big of a deal to me until it wasn't. What caused my long hair in the very beginning was that I was working on a job that was fifty miles from home, and working very long hours. I was making good money, but I quit doing almost everything but working! I didn't bother to get a haircut or even shave, and I got to looking quite a bit like a homeless wino. Well, Mr. Big Boss stops off to see me one day, and remarks that he doesn't have any small change and that I look like Sh*t!

Okay, I didn't say anything, but I didn't get anymore haircuts for a couple of years or maybe longer. I didn't shave either, but I eventually started trimming my beard a little bit. When the guy walked up to me and tried to buy drugs from me, I changed my mind about the long hair in a heartbeat. I've never sported long hair again. My boss was so thrilled that I cleaned up my act he gave me a raise, and not long after that a thousand dollar bonus. Though I don't think the bonus and the hair were connected but who knows what a boss thinks?

Strat Jacket and william tele like this.
  11. Toto'sDad

One more remark I would make about long hair, and whiskers. When I grew my hair out, a whole different crew started being friendly to me, only problem was my old clean cut buddies started giving me the cold shoulder. Something about having long hair, and a beard threatens them, and they tend to keep the women and children locked up when you're around

Fast forward to almost immediately after I got a short haircut, and a shave (which somehow seemed more liberating to me than the long hair ever did) and the roles reversed the longhairs called me a kitty cat euphemism, and the shorthairs all opened up to me with welcome arms again. Strange since basically, I was the same guy the whole time. Though I have to admit, I felt a little more aggressive at times when I had the beard and long hair. Why? I dunno.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Strat Jacket likes this.
  12. william tele

It's funny what becomes important to each of us. At one moment in time having long hair was an identifier for me. Later, working to get vo-tech education and a good job was my main identifier. Then, being a good father and now a good grand father and sometime in the future, that amiable wierdo who finally passed away. It's the best I could hope for...:D

stevemc, Jim622, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  13. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

First time I really heard this song was late 80's, Earth Day Concert at Santa Barbara County Bowl. Crosby sounded awesome live and that's when I became a CSNY fan. Late to the party I know but I'm from a different generation.

I've also had the pleasure of hearing David's life story in person, and meeting his wife briefly when I worked in retail.

As much as I always wanted to have long hair and look like a Rockstar I just could never get there. Didn't like the way it looked or felt on me.

You are not your hair.

14. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

I distinctly remember the day I DID cut my hair. I stopped cutting it as a freshman in HS and didn't touch it until I was a junior. Two incidents prompted me to cut it, which by then, was down past my shoulders. First incident, I was walking down the street coming home from a buddy's house, must have been somewhere in 1974-75. A convertible full of short-hair musclebound jocks drove by and were heckling me as I walked..."Hey BROAD! Whazzamatter, forget your dress?" Embarrassing to say the least, and what are ya gonna do? Fight 'em all? Second incident, a few months later...walking home from school on a blustery, raw day with the wind at my back and it kept blowing my hair in my face. "Irritating" is not an accurate description. Despite tucking it under my collar, it kept pulling out every few feet and making me feel like Cousin It. By the time I got home I'd made up my mind; it was gonna go..."freak flag" or not. That evening I grabbed the scissors and started chopping. Didn't do the greatest job but it was the beginning of civilized life for me. And I can't say my parents were to sorry to see six inches of hair go by the wayside, either.

15. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

what if your the long hair freak..who is black belted weightlifting maniac ?? then them convertible boyz got a prob

Strat Jacket likes this.
  16. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

Same goes for berets, a perfectly good hat that's been around since the Middle Ages or earlier. Convenient, too —just roll it up & put it in your pocket. Everyone, young or old, male or female looks stylish, cool & insouciant in a beret. Even European white guys.

Everyone but American white guys. It ain't fair.

Ben-Zion, bftfender and Strat Jacket like this.
  17. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

"Hey man, you look like a girl!"

"Hey man, I don't look like a girl where it counts!"

Strat Jacket likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.