I’ve had it!!.. with the curiosity.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Does your house have something that looks like this?

View attachment 1005429
With your built in bench, that's a fancy-schmancy version of what I mentioned above. Ours didn't have the bench....heck, we didn't have room for a chair of any kind in our narrow hallway. You had to stand, keep your conversations short, and good luck juggling the phone book AND the phone if you needed to look up a number! ;)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Only 1 doorbell at the front but a ringer in the back

My mom’s mom lived on Ave L. A very interesting neighborhood to say the least.

I think I’ll do a map search of the old house
How old is (was) your grandmother? She and my mom (or other family members) might have been acquainted. ;)

Cjteleforum

Tele-Meister
This doorbell in my apt, very old and LOUD. The coil reminds me of a pickup.
IMG_0578.jpg

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Ah yes.... a classic 60's era doorbell. I'm quite familiar with that one, a very common design back then. Went well with the dark brown/black wall paneling of the day too! LOL!!! ;)

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
With your built in bench, that's a fancy-schmancy version of what I mentioned above. Ours didn't have the bench....heck, we didn't have room for a chair of any kind in our narrow hallway. You had to stand, keep your conversations short, and good luck juggling the phone book AND the phone if you needed to look up a number! ;)

I had a relatively well off uncle who had one of those fancy-schmancy ones in his house. His rowdy grandkids broke the seat at some point. He also had that dual doorbell system you mentioned, another attraction for my rowdy cousins to play with.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
"You know, property managers, paying [email protected]$$es to half way do a job."

Sounds like you don't like property managers or people that work with their hands (tradesmen).

Maybe you should buy your own house and paint it yourself. Then find someone who can install a doorbell.
No I absolutely value tradesmen. What I don’t like it’s the half ass follow through of a contract. My issue is when they come in and put a “bandaid fix” on the problem.

Can’t speak for all, obviously. But I’ve worked with (rented from) this management company twice over the years. And they have the cheapest, laziest tradesmen they can find lol.

I was a painter before. Hell that’s what I did in the Navy. I was a Glorified overpaid Janitor. (But allowed me to do the fun stuff I wanted) but I painted day in and day out. Other Sailors can tell you. BMs aren’t no joke.

But if my job it’s to paint a house. I’m painting a house done right. I’m taping edges, I’m laying tarp over work area. Common sense. Not paint the wall get paint on everything and seal it to the wall.

It’s not a issue with “people who work with their hands” I get that. I worked with my hands in the Middle East. I work with my hands every day at my job. My issue is people who misuse the trust and job to half ass a project and still collect payment.

Like these pics. I don’t expect perfection every time. It may be a small thing to most people. But if you call yourself a “professional” painter. And leave a project like this? Then you’re a joke. Plain and simple. It’s called professionalism and pride in your trade. I NEVER would have left it like this. They didn’t even try. Those are full ass brush strokes.
190A7CAF-FBBE-48CB-8A8E-9EEC311FC70A.jpeg
640B22D8-14E5-45E4-938B-97AB23F301A5.jpeg
FEA1B43A-B537-4455-A56B-7237D4285E1F.jpeg
6BA12DA5-4078-4D39-8574-9EA78FACCED4.jpeg

Last edited:

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
How old is (was) your grandmother? She and my mom (or other family members) might have been acquainted. ;)
She passed in ‘85 at 85, if I’m remembering correctly. Her name was Faye Armstrong. She worked for Monnings on Throckmorton before she retired around 1972

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I wouldn't have been curious enough to discover what it was and certainly not to go to the trouble to cut away paint, etc. Not because I don't have curiosity but become I'm too damn lazy. 😏
It took me a few months to actually move in. And I am a big fan of the spooky paranormal. Like I tried to convince my wife to let me get a dybbuk box 🤣.

Now I know there probably wasn’t anything spooky in this wall box. But looks like something the Pope himself would have banished a demon into lol. So yea. I was drawn to it.

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I grew up in a neighborhood that was built in the 1930s. There were lots of interesting things hidden in those houses.

I haven’t rented in almost 20 years, but my friends who do search around for hidden cameras after moving in. Boy times have changed.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
I grew up in a neighborhood that was built in the 1930s. There were lots of interesting things hidden in those houses.

I haven’t rented in almost 20 years, but my friends who do search around for hidden cameras after moving in. Boy times have changed.
I’m a overweight over-hairy redneck. Lol LET me find a camera 🤣 I’ll do the truffle shuffle for ya. Make you regret that real fast lol

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
We remodeled the kitchen in our 1857 house when we lived in Ohio. Above the laundry room ceiling, I found many tiles that were disposed of therein by a previous owner’s remodeling of the upstairs bath. I also found the razor blades that had been deposited in a long gone disposal slot in the upstairs bath wall. Anyone here remember those metal plates with a slot to slip in used up safety razor blades?

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
I still wanna get up into the attic. There’s no entry in the house. I’m used to the pull down stairs. This has a entry in the garage and you have to get a ladder. Renter before us was a little old lady. Before that idk. But already found tons of stuff left behind, a camping stove (works well. Needed to be deep cleaned) A deer antler mount, several water hoses (as a first time home renter I was excited)
The first time I climbed into the attic of an old house that I bought in the 1980s, my 6-year old son was with me. We immediately encountered a box of rubber sex toys and some magazines with interesting names (Stand Corrected and Water Sports were two that I recall). Before I could stop him, my son grabbed a magazine and exclaimed, “Hey, dad, these girls are cute!”

Last edited:

Buckaroo65

Tele-Afflicted
The first time I climbed into the attic of an old house that I bought in the 1980s, my 6-year old son was with me. We immediately encountered a box of rubber sex toys and some magazines with interesting names (Stand Corrected and Water Sports, were two that I recall). Before I could stop him, my son grabbed a magazine and exclaimed, “Hey, dad, these girls are cute!”
Well, I guess that saves you “the talk”.

PCollen

Friend of Leo's
So My wife and I started renting a house back in May. (Not sure what year it was built. But it is a bit older. Nothing crazy) there’s this box on the wall in the hallway. I’ve never seen anything quite like it.

My grandmothers house used to have radios in the walls. Where you could talk to other room. I loved those growing up. But they were obvious. Volume knob, talk button. Even buttons to signify what room to connect you to.

This isn’t that. It’s a random box on the wall. And it’s kind of a ominous color scheme. Like you’d see it on the wall in a horror movie. Like once I took it off the wall a full blown demon would escape out.

Well I finally got curious enough to get the step ladder with a razor blade. Had to cut it off the wall. You know, property managers, paying [email protected]$$es to half way do a job. Painted the sucker to the wall. So carefully cut around it.

It’s a old ass door bell system. I’ve never seen one like that. Never really thought about a door bell or the mechanics before. Pretty cool.

Maybe my age is showing here. 🤣
Well, you just never know until you investigate. It could just as well have been a big 'ol hairy-assed home intercom speaker.

PennyroyalFrog

Tele-Afflicted
I have lots of weird remnants of a primitive house alarm system in this house. I used to have the manual in the basement, and it looked like it was from the 1950s or 1960s.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
She passed in ‘85 at 85, if I’m remembering correctly. Her name was Faye Armstrong. She worked for Monnings on Throckmorton before she retired around 1972
She was a little older than my mom, but the families could have known each other. My mother died in 2021, so I can't ask. :(
I vaguely remember the Monnig's you refer to......until the mid-sixties most of our "Department Store" shopping was done downtown. I remember what a hassle it was.....driving around trying to find a parking place, then watching the time and feeding the meter if necessary. That's one reason malls were so attractive when they came along. ;)