I’ve Got Two New Shiny Balls! (NGD Albert Lee Reserve Limited Run of 80)

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to incorporate a tasteless pun for the title of this thread. It was just begging for it!

I’m pleased to announce that I’m now the happy owner of a pair of shiny, new balls!

Just a mere 10 days ago, I received my first Ernie Ball Music Man guitar (A Powder Blue HSS Cutlass with an oil & wax finished roasted maple neck). Thread is here if interested: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-e...ss-cutlass-powder-blue.1096941/#post-11289348

I’ve always wanted an “Albert Lee”, though. I love the unique shape, but with the exception of my Les Paul Special, I generally steer clear of “signature” models. I was just waiting for the right one to came along and well, it did! A “Ball Family Reserve” limited run of only 80 made. A lovely all-rosewood neck, Honduran Mahogany body, ultra-smooth stainless steel frets, and “Ghost In The Shell” finish (basically like a translucent white blonde that’s difficult to photograph accurately). The headstock does have the "Albert Lee" signature, but it is actually etched into the Rosewood itself rather than a decal, which makes it difficult to see due to the dark color of the wood, and that's fine by me because it gives the headstock more of a blank look (you could barely see it in the pics). It Just arrived a few days ago.

The fit/finish and overall craftsmanship of these Ernie Ball guitars are of exceptional caliber and I’m now hip to how wonderful they are! Right up there with Suhrs around the same price point.

Lots of tones on offer here with the three P-90s and five way selector. I like the no fuss 1 Volume / 1 Tone. Configurations are basically like a Strat, but with the added beef and growl of the P90 with a slightly more acute mid-range. Sounds GOOD!

After putting it through the paces into my Cornell Romany 12 British Tweed amp and then through myriad virtual rigs in AmpliTube 5, I couldn’t be happier!

• Body Wood: Honduran Mahogany
  • Body Color: Ghost in the Shell
  • Body Finish: High gloss polyester
  • Scale Length: 25.5”
  • Neck Wood: All Rosewood
  • Neck Color: Natural
  • Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
  • Fingerboard Wood: Rosewood
  • Headstock Color: Natural
  • Frets: 22 - High profile, medium width
  • Fret Material: Stainless Steel
  • Fret Markers: White Pearl Block Inlays
  • Nut Width: 1-5/8"
  • Fingerboard Radius: 10"
  • Tuning Machine type: Schaller M6-IND locking
  • Tuning Machine Buttons: Pearl
  • Bridge: Music Man vintage tremolo, chrome plated, hardened steel with bent steel saddles
  • Pickguard: Tortoise Shell
  • Pickup Color: White
  • Hardware Finish: Chrome
  • Controls: 500kohm volume and tone - .022F tone capacitor
  • Switching: 5-way lever pickup selector
  • Pickups: MM90 - 3 Music Man custom wound with white covers
  • Quantity Limited to 80
A1F1F4C1-F54D-461B-A4CD-34D73FC3BE96.jpeg
C5A5D1B7-0C4E-45A8-B308-21140A29E62B.jpeg
35C73800-F30B-453C-B1D6-94364AE1B207.jpeg
BAD9ED8E-F4C3-4F37-BEC3-6FBAAD483257.jpeg
4C9D86F4-BB0D-4D2E-9198-162E4CD727A2.jpeg
457AB1A9-FBA0-4434-A126-FB280C3B6460.jpeg
B804D2C7-B935-4DBE-A6F9-46714CF3E7D7.jpeg
919FF95D-B83D-4B49-9704-79B564F6D9BB.jpeg
77C2C46B-2D47-4617-AD1B-7A89407D0B23.jpeg
31AB490C-6A70-4716-B9C2-B36E463669EE.jpeg

Last edited:

John C

Friend of Leo's
Very nice!!! I got an email from EBMM announcing this batch of BFRs and thought the Albert Lee was the nicest of this batch.

I had an Albert Lee with 3 MM90s for a year or so (mid-2006 to mid-2007); unless EBMM has changed the pickups they are somewhat underwound compared to a normal P90, which makes the AL with them have a bigger, fatter Strat sound. Enjoy!

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I am swooning. There is no other word for it. I have always wanted an Albert Lee, but that one is perfection. Luckily, it’s limited, so I can’t waste any time coveting one.

Double Stop

Tele-Holic
Very nice!!! I got an email from EBMM announcing this batch of BFRs and thought the Albert Lee was the nicest of this batch.

I had an Albert Lee with 3 MM90s for a year or so (mid-2006 to mid-2007); unless EBMM has changed the pickups they are somewhat underwound compared to a normal P90, which makes the AL with them have a bigger, fatter Strat sound. Enjoy!
Cool. Yeah, I’m not sure of the exact output of these MM90s, but they seem somewhere in the range of a lower, vintage output of around 7.2K to 7.8K. I really don’t know, though. Maybe a bit more than that but not as hot as the Gibson P90s in my Les Paul Special which are at least 9K or higher, I believe.

knopflerfan

Friend of Leo's
I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to incorporate a tasteless pun for the title of this thread. It was just begging for it!

I’m pleased to announce that I’m now the happy owner of a pair of shiny, new balls!

Just a mere 10 days ago, I received my first Ernie Ball Music Man guitar (A Powder Blue HSS Cutlass with an oil & wax finished roasted maple neck). Thread is here if interested: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/ngd-e...ss-cutlass-powder-blue.1096941/#post-11289348

I’ve always wanted an “Albert Lee”, though. I love the unique shape, but with the exception of my Les Paul Special, I generally steer clear of “signature” models. I was just waiting for the right one to came along and well, it did! A “Ball Family Reserve” limited run of only 80 made. A lovely all-rosewood neck, Honduran Mahogany body, ultra-smooth stainless steel frets, and “Ghost In The Shell” finish (basically like a translucent white blonde that’s difficult to photograph accurately). The headstock does have the "Albert Lee" signature, but it is actually etched into the Rosewood itself rather than a decal, which makes it difficult to see due to the dark color of the wood, and that's fine by me because it gives the headstock more of a blank look (you could barely see it in the pics). It Just arrived a few days ago.

The fit/finish and overall craftsmanship of these Ernie Ball guitars are of exceptional caliber and I’m now hip to how wonderful they are! Right up there with Suhrs around the same price point.

Lots of tones on offer here with the three P-90s and five way selector. I like the no fuss 1 Volume / 1 Tone. Configurations are basically like a Strat, but with the added beef and growl of the P90 with a slightly more acute mid-range. Sounds GOOD!

After putting it through the paces into my Cornell Romany 12 British Tweed amp and then through myriad virtual rigs in AmpliTube 5, I couldn’t be happier!

• Body Wood: Honduran Mahogany
  • Body Color: Ghost in the Shell
  • Body Finish: High gloss polyester
  • Scale Length: 25.5”
  • Neck Wood: All Rosewood
  • Neck Color: Natural
  • Neck Finish: Gunstock oil and hand-rubbed special wax blend
  • Fingerboard Wood: Rosewood
  • Headstock Color: Natural
  • Frets: 22 - High profile, medium width
  • Fret Material: Stainless Steel
  • Fret Markers: White Pearl Block Inlays
  • Nut Width: 1-5/8"
  • Fingerboard Radius: 10"
  • Tuning Machine type: Schaller M6-IND locking
  • Tuning Machine Buttons: Pearl
  • Bridge: Music Man vintage tremolo, chrome plated, hardened steel with bent steel saddles
  • Pickguard: Tortoise Shell
  • Pickup Color: White
  • Hardware Finish: Chrome
  • Controls: 500kohm volume and tone - .022F tone capacitor
  • Switching: 5-way lever pickup selector
  • Pickups: MM90 - 3 Music Man custom wound with white covers
  • Quantity Limited to 80
View attachment 967553 View attachment 967544 View attachment 967545 View attachment 967546 View attachment 967547 View attachment 967548 View attachment 967549 View attachment 967550 View attachment 967551 View attachment 967552
Very nice - a perfect pair of beautiful guitars.