I’ve got the itch again…

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
For a Peavey Bandit. Haven’t had one in a while, but current weather conditions seem ideal for adding one to the herd.

I’m on the hunt. Stay tuned.
I saw it’s little bro- a Studio 40 mint for $200 yesterday. Just don’t need it.

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I run across Special 130s all the time (or seems like it) for next to nothing, hardly ever see Bandits for sale around here anymore.

I picked up a Bandit 65 in a pawn shop about ten years ago. That was one of the last ones I’ve seen available. But I know they’re out there…

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don’t want the earlier solo series. I’m strictly Transtube series Peaveys.

GC used has a few in the $189-$229 range. Hoping to find one locally, though.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Now that you said it out loud, you probably will never see one.
That’s my luck. There was a Vox Mini SuperBeetle in a local shop for nearly 2 years. Owner had 299 on it. But at one point said he’d take 250 cash out the door.

I’ve recently been sucked deep into Vox land. Lol. Having a AC15C1 and a AV60. I want to add a AC4 and the Mini Super Beetle to the family.

So I text James (the shop owner) saying yea I’ll buy the Vox. Funny enough after 2 years of sitting. Someone bought it last week. Once I decided it would be cool to have

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
For a Peavey Bandit. Haven’t had one in a while, but current weather conditions seem ideal for adding one to the herd.

my favorite Peavey amp was the Reknown with 2 X 12 black widows , I have the same reguard for them as the JC 120 although very different by nature

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Afflicted
The Peavey Bandit 65 is something I truly don't understand. I owned one, and it worked. It was loud and reliable, but aside from that I don't see what the allure is. Lots of people say they're the greatest bargain out there. I never thought the saturation circuit sounded all that good. I always wondered why peavey didn't voice it like the Backstage combos, where the overdrive had tight solid low-end.

MilwMark

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Do they have Musicgoround where you live? The one nearish me generally has 1-2 in nice condition for good prices. They charge a lot to ship amps so local is key.

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
All the great amps you’ve had/have …why!
Why? Cause they’re great!

I personally don’t understand why anyone would want one of the early ones. The Bandit 65,75, etc I never liked and don’t understand the following they have. To me, they’re not good sounding amps.

The later ones, though? Transtube series starting with the silver stripe models, going to red stripe, and up to the current offerings, are really great sounding and crazy reliable. Very versatile and loads of fun. I haven’t had one in a while, and I kinda miss it.

The teal stripe models were pretty nice as well. I think they were kind of the beginning of the Transtube era, even though they weren’t called that yet

Les H

Tele-Holic
I had a silver stripe and a red stripe Bandit but not at the same time. All my memories tell me I like the silver stripe series the best. I still have a red stripe but it seems to be on permanent loan to my oldest daughter. I would like it back but I don't expect I will get it back.

I was given a '78 Peavey Pacer my daughter's boyfriend found sitting next to the curb on their way to my house one time. The speaker was trashed so I plugged in another speaker to test it out and low and behold the amp worked. The reverb wasn't working and I gave it a firm thump and it came back to life. After cleaning it up and cleaning the pots it's a surprisingly decent sounding little solidstate amp. I would have no shame in gigging it under the right circumstances.

With the instability of the current tube situation I would like to pick up either a Special 130, Renown, or even a Special 212. My old silver stripe Special 212 is an amp I regret letting go.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
everything is too heavy now for me since I decided to copycat you with your DV Mark

I've got a Neural DSP Quad Cortex and I can get all kinds of awesome sounds from mine, so I just don't even really consider anything else. I mean I do get tempted from time to time, but...

Just no point to it

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's

Weather conditions? I've never heard of weather conditions indicating it being time for a new amp. I'll mine that general idea for sure. Weather, wind direction, sunrise, phases of the moon; It's a waning crescent moon, time for a new Rivera!
I don’t want the earlier solo series. I’m strictly Transtube series Peaveys.

GC used has a few in the $189-$229 range. Hoping to find one locally, though.
I use GC for used amps a lot. They are pretty reliable for having a huge selection of used amps. I make sure to talk them down as much as possible. Reason being, there's always a problem, and paying for their gear protection is a joke. At least here in DFW. GC uses a repair shop that has no business working on anyone's electronics. So I buy used as cheap as I can, and just know the first thing to happen is the amp is going to my amp guy.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
The teal stripe models were pretty nice as well. I think they were kind of the beginning of the Transtube era, even though they weren’t called that yet

That is correct... the teal stripe bandit already included the transtube circuitry, they just didn't give it a marketing name yet.

I personally don’t understand why anyone would want one of the early ones. The Bandit 65,75, etc I never liked and don’t understand the following they have. To me, they’re not good sounding amps.

I'm the opposite of you... I really like the bold tones from the SOLO series. Mind you, I don't have experience with the Bandit 65 of that era... I've always owned amps that included the MID SHIFT (Special 130, Renown 400, Nashville 400) which made a big difference.

The Peavey Bandit 65 is something I truly don't understand. I owned one, and it worked. It was loud and reliable, but aside from that I don't see what the allure is. Lots of people say they're the greatest bargain out there. I never thought the saturation circuit sounded all that good. I always wondered why peavey didn't voice it like the Backstage combos, where the overdrive had tight solid low-end.

In that era of Peavey.... the Saturation channel had "pre / saturation / post" controls. Most people were under the impression that you needed to turn up the saturation for dirt but the trick to a good overdrive tone was tuning up the "pre" and keeping the "post" lower. The "saturation" control was best left at 0 unless you were after some really bad sounding fuzz.

Last edited:

guitarndrms

Tele-Meister
Why? Cause they’re great!

The later ones, though? Transtube series starting with the silver stripe models, going to red stripe, and up to the current offerings, are really great sounding and crazy reliable. Very versatile and loads of fun. I haven’t had one in a while, and I kinda miss it.

I had the 65 and didn’t care for it much as you say. The silver stripe my dad used to gig with sounded awesome! The dirty sounds he got with the amp where some of the best tones I remember hearing. Wish I had that amp, this post has me on the hunt as well!

Jakedog

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had the 65 and didn’t care for it much as you say. The silver stripe my dad used to gig with sounded awesome! The dirty sounds he got with the amp where some of the best tones I remember hearing. Wish I had that amp, this post has me on the hunt as well!
I’ve had several of the 90’s silver stripe models, and they are indeed sweet amps. I actually liked my Red Stripe versions even better. I’m a clean channel/pedals guy, and those red stripe amps just killed for that.

The one I have en route (should be here today) is the latest version. I haven’t personally tried one yet, but I gigged with a guy for about a year who used one and his sounded amazing. He was also a clean channel/pedals guy, so I’m hoping I’ll be really happy with it. If not, I’ll return it and grab a red stripe. They’re out there.