I’ve finally had it!

Charlie Bernstein

Poster Extraordinaire
Man. You guys are making me feel like a wuss.
Only your hairdresser knows for sure!

But hmm. I don't know anyone who uses elevens on a folk guitar. Since twelves (which I mostly use) are considered light, it sounds like you're trying to turn an acoustic into an electric — the worst of both worlds!

KC

Friend of Leo's
what's funny is that the 12s on my Martin don't hurt my hands to play. I've moved from .10s to .09s on all my electrics (except a les Paul which sounds awful with .09s) because my hands are about half wore out, but the stiffer strings on the Martin don't bother me, even after a couple of hours. seems like they should but they don't seem to.

scook

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
Does it sound weak on all strings? There are bluegrass acoustic sets that are heavy in the bass and lighter in the treble. Might thicken up your sound and still let you bend on the G, B, and e

Maguchi

Friend of Leo's
...I’m putting 11’s back on my Taylor. Easier bending isn’t worth sounding this weak.

Bending is what Teles are for.
You're bending on a Taylor? I'm assuming it's an acoustic, although Taylor did make some electrics. I've been playing acoustic since I was a young teen, and in the 40+ years since, I don't think I've really bent much if at all on an acoustic. Mostly use hammerons, pulloffs and slides if I want to get a slur sound on acoustic.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I use 9.5s on all my electrics and 11s on my acoustics. They all seem to be happy, and so are my olde fingers.

I used 10s on electrics for a long time. Then I got old. Friend turned me on to 9.5s - didn't know they made such a thing - and they're the sweet spot for me. Heavy strings are great on a slide guitar or for those who have something to live up to or prove.

Confucius say never have weapon you can't manage, dog you can't heel, or vehicle you can't park. Same with guitar strings, no?

Rene Asologuitar

Tele-Meister
Here's new one for you.
I just got a tele, mij, but upgraded pick-ups, tuners, and body shaping for comfort.
The strings used are:
12, 16, 17, 26, 36, 42

I dig the tone.

Anybody tried this string choices?

Rene

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I currently have Elixir 10s on my Fender CD-280s acoustic.
I have noticed a bit less low end, but they are sooo much easier on these old hands :)
I will gladly trade some low end for more playability. I wasn't playing it at all with 11s.

20200913_160933041_iOS.jpg AcNPXL-large.jpg.auto (1).jpg

On the Teles, I am running a mix of D'Addario 8s, 9s and Balanced Tension 9s as well as Elixir 9s and I even have a set of Slinky Coated 8s on one of them. To be honest, I love the feel and the sound of the Elixir 9s and will probably move all the Teles to those. If Elixir had a set of 8s, might go with those.

EXL130-large.jpg.auto.jpg EXL120-large.jpg.auto.jpg EXL120BT-large.jpg.auto.jpg ElNSL-large.jpg.auto.jpg P03125.png

zombywoof

Friend of Leo's
One way to go is with a short scale guitar and strings wound on a round core. While the strings do not exert appreciably less tension than those wound on a hex core they do feel more flexible. For decades though I went with 13s on carved top plate archtops and 12s on a flattop. As age and arthritis take their toll though I have been going more with low tension 12s such as Newtone Heritage or 11s on all my flattops.

Last edited:

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
Man. You guys are making me feel like a wuss.
Maybe check out Santa Cruz's Parabolics. I know folks who swear by them and supposedly they're easier on the hands with no cut in tone/volume. Been meaning to try them, but I like my strings a bit "stiff" feeling.

I know everyone has a marketing term for their design, but I'm inclined to believe anything Richard has to say given his approach to wood (and the sound of my 1929 00).

Quexoz

Tele-Meister
Skip to 14:40 if in a hurry. You may be surprised...when it goes back to 11s at the end.
I use .009-.040 balanced tensions.

Edit: Whoops, I see someone beat me to it. I'll leave it for the 14:40 shortcut time anyway.

Last edited: