I’ve been looking for a compact bucket tractor

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Today I spent some time with a JD 3039R

I think it is the one

Bucket

Enough PTO HP to spin a 60” mower

I fit on it

Controls are within reach

Anybody want to talk me back from the brink?

2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

That's a great tractor! Go for it!

3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I don't think I can:(

I'm going to be in the market for a new tractor - mower - tiller, but a bucket is like climbing everest.

Good Luck!

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You can't go too wrong on JD except for price. And maybe the 'right to repair' issue:
    https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere-farmers-right-to-repair/
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/te...black-market-john-deere-markets-are-thriving/
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...acking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

Imagine if Fender or Gibson did that with guitars and amps. "No pickup swaps for you!"

I have one of these, that came new to the family farm in the late 1930s. There are front bucket attachments too on the more modern versions.
    When I drove through a small town an hour away from me I stopped to look over one set out by the road for sale for the price of an MIA Tele.

5. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I looked for a tractor for five years before buying one, all used and ranging from Ford N to newer NH, JD and Kubota. Nearly bought a Ford 600 series and actually had my checkbook out on a JD 790 but it lacked a loader. Rented a Ford 1620 gear for six hours to bush big seven acres. I finally bought a new Kubota B2320 HST with FEL, back blade and 4’ Land Pride bush hog plus an 18’ car hauled to move ‘em. I decided on Kubota though I love JD because of the dealer; both good machines. I bought new because recent used was nearly the same price.

I bought a small footprint tractor so I could haul it back & forth 800 miles to it’s work spot, my hunt camp in Ontario. I needed a machine that would get me way out in the woods on narrow poorly maintained trails. I love my little machine and work it to its max, just not many hours per year. If I’d never transport I’d look at used smaller Ag stuff if you’re even a minor wrench. I like those but they just didn’t make sense for me.

I joined TBY and did a lotta research on there before buying and recommend taking time if ya can. There’s always a “right” tractor for sale somewhere.

6. KG7IL

KG7IL TDPRI Member

I wanted a JD... but stopped by the Kubota dealer to see what they have.
    I ended up with a L3830 with FEL and 60"RC, rake and PHD...
    If you want to be talked out of the JD... just stop by the Kubota Dealer.

7. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Looks like a nice tractor.
    Standard trans, shuttle, or hydro?

8. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not me. I’m an enabler. That’s the more pro version of the model I suggested you look at. Enjoy!

BTW, if you got it within your previously stated budget, you scored big time!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  9. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Meister

As a heavy equipment mechanic personally I'd go with Kubota. I work for a rather large county government who has a lot of different equipment. JD, Cat, CNH and Kubota for the most part. Thing with the JD's is when they have issues they're usually electrical and you will be calling the dealer for repairs. The thing with the Kubota's is you wont have any issues.

KG7IL and schmee like this.
  10. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And you can always use it for load in!

Pic of my wife moving some monitors to the back of our house for an outdoor shindig. JD 4300, bought in 2001, still going strong. 32 HP, 4WD, runs a 5' shredder with no problems. We take care of our 15 acre property, and it's the perfect size. Look for a hydrostatic transmission or something similar (easy to switch back and forth between forward and reverse)

Tractor_Roadie.jpg

Cheers,
    Doug

drf64 likes this.
  11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

looks righteous buck.... I think the getus is probs worth it... go for it... you won't remember what you paid in 6 months.. so... get what you REALLY want.

12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I might be the wrong one to discourage you. I've always liked green tractors even though the only one I used these days is orange. I forget brands but one of the mower decks we have at the ski area is more durable around the edges. For personal use you probably need to worry more about enough power for the PTO vs how it takes abuse issue we have at the ski area.

When we got our new and now well used machine the liquid ballast in tires was an issue. If you work on slopes you might want to consider that. What a bother when they get punctured but I sure get the concept of that weight low down. The ballast tires help traction at times but hurt if you're working near the water table.

Finally, a friend is a mechanic at a strong chain of John Deere dealers that might have places on your side of the Mississippi. Another works for a mostly IA group of dealers. They've pointed out same discovery I had with other machines. They share some same OEM components and in some cases re-badge whole machines these days. To me we're in an era where a whole lot of products are pretty darn good.

Last fall some I know who are still farming pointed out they were pleased with some considerably less expensive purchases such as Mahindra but as said, I've always liked green tractors.

13. drf64

so Orange is the new Green?

KG7IL likes this.
  14. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

One thing I would recommend is a quick change bucket. That way when the pallet of dumbles arrive on a big truck, you have the bucket off and forks on in seconds to un load them.:)

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have the smallest diesel/PTO utility tractor that Deere makes.

I have a 455 which has a 22 horse diesel 3 cylinder Yanmar engine and category O belly and rear PTO. A loader is available but I don't have one. I have a 48" snow blower, a 60 inch mow deck and a 48" Rhino brush cutter for maintaining trails in our woods.

I bought my 455 in 1994 and it has about 1200 hours on it and it runs like a top. Other than changing my oil and lubing the lube points it has been an absolute gem. I mow about 5 acres of lawn weekly and I clear snow from our drive way (1/4 mile) and do about 20 hours of brush busting every year. It runs and runs and runs. I'm 55. I have plans to buy two tractors in my lifetime and I think that it's possible because of the quality level.

It's my Harley. I think that women appreciate a beautiful yard and this gets me more points than a Harley. :cool:

[​IMG]

Wallo Tweed, Stubee and drf64 like this.
  16. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

If you have the scratch why not? For me I would buy some goats and old Ford and some new guitars.

TequilaCaster likes this.
  17. drf64

I own one as well. I got it used a few years ago with 1200 hours on it. I mow with it and put a ball hitch on it to haul light trailers. It's my favorite small tractor.

I also have 78 David Brown 885 with a FEL. Great tractor but I've been burning through starter solenoids for some reason. It has a FEL.

I am also privileged to have inherited my late uncle's Allis Chalmers C. He was one of the best mechanics I've ever known. In WW II he worked day and night getting shot up B-17's back into the air using whatever parts he could find. I personally watched him rebuild a carburetor out of left over shop material and gasket material that he got for free from shop floor sweepings. After the war he worked at the the AC plant in LaPorte, IN. He was the shop foreman who oversaw the assembly of this tractor and he kept it running for 60 plus years until his death. Now I keep it going as a tribute to him.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Wallo Tweed, getbent and studio1087 like this.
  18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Kubota Diesel 4 wd tractor. Bam! Better diesel than Yanmar.

KG7IL and studio1087 like this.
  19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Did you see what's sitting next to my John Deere? Our Kubota is a diesel. :cool:

schmee likes this.
  20. drf64

You Kubota guys are forgetting that he's getting more tractor for his budget by going green. I love Kubota too, but I've never been able to afford one.

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.