I’ve been a fool (for a woman, of course)

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
The exact details aren’t important but I have known this gal for a very long time and have always “been there” for her when she has needed help. Despite what my mind has told me, in my heart I fell for her some time ago and she knows it. Of course, she would deny it if you ask her, but yes she absolutely did “lead me on” many times; she’s frequently been…extremely close to me while she was practically naked, though I have never taken advantage of her (I’ve never touched her private parts); we’ve never had sex. She periodically tells me emphatically that we cannot be together romantically yet she does things that imply differently. Oh and she has become an alcoholic, she’s seriously drinking herself to death. Maybe worse stuff too. An event today has finally confirmed what my (big) head has been telling me for some time: I need to somehow remove herself totally from my life. Part of me doesn’t want to move on…but for my own sanity I must. Somehow I must resist the urge to reach out to her—it would be easy to justify it but I cannot continue to be a fool. Perhaps one day she’ll sober up. Thanks for letting me vent.

USian Pie

Tele-Holic
Nope, when it comes to affairs of the heart, age doesn’t matter, we are all overcome.

Wrong. There's no joy in getting older if you don't learn lessons from your younger, more stupid self.

Declare your past self dead. Then create a vision of your current self that doesn't make the same mistakes.

You need some serious harsh right now, sir. I think you know that deep down, too. Love and respect yourself first.

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
She's only working you because it makes her feel good and she doesn't have to give anything back in return. You're 62, I'm 70 and I've been in half a dozen long (5-10 years) relationships. There comes a point when love is out the window and you either settle for a relationship of "convenience" or just walk away and hang up your spurs.

kuch

Friend of Leo's
It seems obvious to me that she is "using" you for whatever reasons she has. Definitely some manipulative actions that you've described. Don't be a rollover and take it anymore. One suggestion I have is to cut it off completely immediately. She's going to try to rope you in again, because it gives her "power" over you.

It might be tough and hurt for a while, but I guarantee you, you'll feel better when it's done.

Good luck dude.