1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I’m supposed to try and give my cat something that might work and - that’s maple flavored ?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Wha ?

Lysine.

We have a sneezy cat that goes through a couple bouts of it a year but this last time turned into a cough-y cat (very scary) and we took her to the vet.

Injection of some kinda antibiotic and she seems waaaaaay better.

Vet also wants us to give her lysine which is most often in a tube and - maple flavored ?!

There isn’t a cat I know that has ever sat underneath my chair and begged for some of my pancakes...

Fish heads ? Sure. Maple ? Uh - nope.

We have two cats that are absolute pains to give medicine to...:(

Cali Dude likes this.
  2. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

I've got the maple one too. Cat doesn't like it but it works.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    Mike Eskimo likes this.
  3. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

All but one of my cats hates medicines. Field Marshall Montgomery, however, comes and climbs in my lap to get his insulin shot when it is mealtime. When he hears the food bag rustling, he comes just like the others but he waits until I get his shot ready and when I sit down, he jumps in my lap, takes his shot then hops down and takes his turn at the food bowl.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  4. Bryan A

Bryan A Tele-Meister

My cat wants to be offered literally everything I’m eating, no matter whether she’s going to actually try it or not. If it’s not offered, she’s offended.

Mike Eskimo and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  5. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I have some experience with this... We adopted a cat with special needs, yes, there really is such a thing. Anyhow, she has chronic congestion problems. Our vet told us that cats have such tiny sinus passages that it is difficult to completely eradicate sinus infections sometimes. In our case we let the cat live with it as long as possible, then put her on an antibiotic course which mostly clears it up. After that she quickly goes back to being congested, which we let happen till we think she needs another break.

Anyhow, we tried the lysine years ago, but it didn't help in her case. I do believe that ours was a powder that we sprinkled on her food, which made administering it a lot easier. I might be wrong about that, I'll check with my partner. Actually, I seem to recall we found a tuna flavored lysine paste that came in a tube. The powder might have been something else.

Its definitely scary when the cat gets severe respiratory problems since it sounds like she is dying. Apparently cats hate to breathe through their mouth, so no matter how stuffed up their nose is, they continue to try to breathe through the nose, despite the horrible sounding difficulty.

My partner can sort of clear out her nose by pulling the boogers out with her fingernails. I can't do it myself since the cat is squirming and it freaks me out. After doing this for several years, the cat now seems to understand and will actually come to us for help when she is particularly stuffy.

The vet referred us to a specialty surgical veterinary practice early on. We decided not to proceed with them because they suggested a very invasive exploratory surgery that sounded horrible, and was just the surgery to look inside and see if there is anything that can be done. It wasn't so much the cost that put us off (though it was substantial), it was more that it sounded like it had a small chance of finding anything actionable and was a miserable sounding surgery for the poor cat.

The good news is that our cat has lived for many years with this problem. The bad news is that it breaks our hearts because she sounds so pathetic when she is really stuffed up. I hope your cat can get over this or at least live a comfortable life if it turns out to be a chronic problem.

boooks.jpg

Cali Dude and Mike Eskimo like this.
  6. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

That poor cat. Is there a flavor more disgusting than maple? I ain’t found it yet.

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

...might have to pour some on your pancakes to see if it really is maple flavored...;)

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sounds like your cat has Feline Herpes (FHV-1). Very common and basically a lifetime infection. Lysine helps the cat's immune system handle the virus...but doesn't eradicate it. Nothing does.

Medicating a cat is always a PITA. Ollie used to get bladder infections. He will not touch his food if there is one molecule out of place. Shoving a pill down his throat takes six people and several reserve IVs for the injured in the aftermath. I was somewhat successful with a pill-shooter.

If you have a tube of stuff (maple flavored or whatever), just wipe it on a front leg and he'll lick it off just to clean himself. I wish all the cat meds came in a tube like that.

We used to give Ollie hairball meds that were basically a tube of malt-flavored Vaseline. He would lick it off of my finger. Now he won't touch it and I just wipe it on his leg.

And...cats can be just as picky about flavors as people. Most of ours would kill for the tomato sauce that goes on spaghetti or pizza. Maple doesn't surprise me. I imagine 'dead bird' would be better though...

Cali Dude, Mike Eskimo and catdaddy like this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh - I can smell it !

very helpful. I’ll try the leg trick !

teletimetx likes this.
  10. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

I'm sorry that your kitty is I'll. Mine hide when they know that it is medicine time. I hope you all get through it with no scratches, and that your kitty feels better soon.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Our cats take some kind of squirt of liquid in mouth from wife.
    I guess the apothecary she gets it from can make it taste like a lot of things .
    Now, I think it is tuna.

12. tomkatf

tomkatf Tele-Afflicted

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

My cat loved waffles!
    [​IMG]

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  14. zimbo

zimbo Friend of Leo's

Just wipe a dab on the cat's nose and she will lick it off. No big deal.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.