1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I’m search of gorgeous cleans at TV volume...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tarnisher, Feb 24, 2021.

1. BSG1

BSG1 TDPRI Member

And, it plays very nicely with pedals too.

Deathray likes this.
  2. Stinger22

Stinger22 Tele-Meister

Same here but with my Spark. I've lost some of my tube snobbery!

3. Hudman_1

Hudman_1 TDPRI Member

Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master Blonde.

Fender cleans at half the weight (33 lbs) and attenuation from 1 watt to 85 watt. It’s an awesome pedal platform. It’s the do it all amp from bedroom to the stage. I love mine.

4. BSG1

BSG1 TDPRI Member

Good catch!

5. Stinger22

Stinger22 Tele-Meister

I don't play the backing tracks through the amp but have my tablet playing through my home entertainment system. I think they are going to adjust the bass response in a future update but I have mine at about 3-4 just playing guitar and I can get that beautiful Fender clean and others. Also don't set in the floor or corner and move out from the wall. It's meant to be sitting on a desktop.

OldPup likes this.
  6. BSG1

BSG1 TDPRI Member

Good idea, maybe I will try my hand at building my own too.

7. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Check out a THD Univalve. It has 2 channels, 7W and 15W and can accommodate a bunch of octal tubes without re-biasing. It offers ultra clean tones at just about any volume. And, with a tweak of the presence knob, some killer overdrive can be delivered. My personal favorite is driving the amp with a KT66 and a humbucker equipped guitar. (Warning, the Univalve is not a good fit for sloppy players--your fret board chops can't hide.)
    http://www.thdelectronics.com/product_page_UniValve.html
    Cheers

Tarnisher likes this.
  8. Stinger22

Stinger22 Tele-Meister

And throw in the Boss Katana Mini which is also getting great reviews. I like the expansiveness of the stereo speakers. I use just a touch of reverb and delay and it just fills the room.

9. gkmacdonald

gkmacdonald TDPRI Member

I agree 100% I own one and its great.

10. Telefsantasia1

Telefsantasia1 Tele-Meister

So true and well said!

Tarnisher likes this.
  11. Telefsantasia1

Telefsantasia1 Tele-Meister

Priceless brother...! Edward

12. BlueGillGreg

BlueGillGreg TDPRI Member

Have you tried plugging your guitar directly into the return jack of one of your larger amps' effects loop?

13. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Looks like they're discontinued? It doesn't have a master volume, but still works well for low amplitude?

14. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Ever consider an amp built with a VVR? (Variable Voltage Regulator)

I had Carl's Custom Amps build me a 5E3 Deluxe with a VVR years ago. I can dial it down to about 1/2 watt and play the thing wide open & it wouldn't bother anyone outside the room I'm in. I work odd hours and sometimes like to play an amp using it's natural OD at 3am...this one does the trick perfectly. No one's ever complained of the noise....my playing yes, but not the volume. Works for cleans, dirt and anything in between.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Tarnisher likes this.
  15. Tarnisher

Yeah, I've seen it, but I can't bring myself to pay that much for an attenuator- a new amp is simpler and more fun. Plus, part of the challenge here is to keep it all analog.

I know it's not practical, but think of it this way: dark room photography is not practical now that we have digital, but some of us still prefer to do things the old fashioned way, just for fun, and that's ok.

16. Tarnisher

My largest amp was made in 1955.

But I suppose that's an idea- buy an amp w/ FX loop instead of one of these other contenders.... Oh, how I wish I could just go play in a well-stocked music store!

BlueGillGreg likes this.
  17. Tarnisher

I own one, and love it, but not for cleans. Maybe if I had it recapped, though....

18. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I agree completely with this. Although, @Tarnisher I'd consider the Suhr instead since it more accurately presents the resonant impedance peak.

I built a DIY version, similar to the Suhr reactive load, and I'm using it with the Two Notes Torpedo CAB M (for just the IR and a little room reverb). I was completely shocked by how well it works with my blackface Bassman.

northernguitar likes this.
  19. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I use a BOSS EQ-200 for tone shaping before the amp. I use my amp to amplify guitars only to back my vocals. I roll off low frequencies to improve clarity with humbuckers and Filter-Trons. I roll off highs to tame single coils. I use up to 9dB boost for cleans or to keep guitars at the same volume. I don’t need or want a loud distortion for soloing. All of my solos are off chords so there is no discernible difference in volume to a listener between my finger style backup and my intros, solos, or outros. The other reason for an equalizer is that I have settings in memory for all of by guitars. Choose an amp channel and choose an equalizer profile and play. If I want a little edge, I just pluck or strum a little harder and the Boogie’s natural compression keeps volume under control. Fender amps are different. Turn them on and play. There’s a lot more active management required to get the most from a Boogie. It actually took years to figure out how to use it to best advantage.

There are so many here at TDPRI with different needs and different gear. I’ve learned a lot from members who play different material from what I play with very different gear.

Tarnisher likes this.
  20. MusicBill

MusicBill TDPRI Member

Try the Spark. I think youll like it. It will have all that you need. Positive Grid Spark its called

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.