1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I’m search of gorgeous cleans at TV volume...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tarnisher, Feb 24, 2021.

1. tele1amp

tele1amp NEW MEMBER!

I have been down this rabbit hole... My solution was a tube headphone amplifier with open back headphones... I learned of this here and it works like a charm for me.

The other alternative is to put a bright cap on your amp and use a compressor...

Tarnisher likes this.
  2. Auherre756

Auherre756 TDPRI Member

Yeah, as the reviews indicate, you either love em or hate em. Since I rarely push an amp, I typically don't have an issue with the UV's headroom. One thing for sure, the Univalve definitely prefers humbuckers. Single coils, IMO, sound anemic regardless of tube combo or speaker cab. Cheers!

Tarnisher likes this.
  3. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Tarnisher likes this.
  4. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thanks, everyone for all the help! My search has ended, thanks to my buddy @CJYoung520, who very kindly offered up his Princeton Reverb, which arrived yesterday. It sounds amazing, and going direct into the amp I got the gorgeous clean tones I'm looking for while never going past 89dB (A) on my decibel meter at a distance of about 10 feet. That was only when I really dug in and hit some chords with force. But most of the time when I'm playing clean I'm much more restrained, and my average was comfortably in the 70-80 dB (A) neighborhood, about the same volume as an acoustic guitar. I couldn't be more pleased, and took the opportunity to celebrate by upgrading my membership in gratitude for all TDPRI has done for me over the years.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

sweet
    I was gonna say Positive Grid Spark.
    It's the most perfect personal practice amp of all time

6. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Fender Tone Master Deluxe, with the attenuator set at .2 watts.

Its not a tube amp, I know, sacrilege!

7. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Tube amp with great cleans at TV volume?

I had the same hunt in the pre-digital days and ended up with the following amps, among others:

Tweed Princeton

Silverface Vibro Champ

Silverface Princeton Reverb

80s Super Champ

Blackface Deluxe Reverb

But the gorgeous cleans at TV volume belongs to my 77 Pro Reverb. The ultra linear output keeps plenty of highs available. I changed the speakers to 60s Jensen C-12NFs that removed any harshness. I set the volume on 6-7 and the master volume on 2-3.

I think these amps still go for pretty cheap.

UPDATE: I reread your original post. You prefer a head, which this clearly isn't. Also, this is a great pedal platform. But realize you will only be using 0.1 of the 70 watts.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Tarnisher likes this.
  8. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

A friend of my son brought her little Yamaha THR for a repair (broken power socket)

Nice little unit. Decent fx and a bigger sound than its diminutive sound might suggest. Shoebox size.

I was impressed.

Mike M likes this.
  9. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Have a THR30ii, its great. You need to open the app to dial it precisely in, but then you can save 5 presets. I have it on my work desk, fun little amp.

10. 68silverw/black

68silverw/black TDPRI Member

My blackface Bassman and blackface Super Reverb have the most beautiful cleans just turn down the volume - clean all the way down to no sound at all.

Tarnisher and 2HBStrat like this.
  11. Matt G

Matt G Tele-Afflicted

I haven't read the full thread, but will drop in here with my own experience. Which is . . . believe it or not . . . Twin Reverb. Mine sounds glorious and full even at apartment bedroom levels. IMHO, you just can't be the presence of this beast, even when turned down.

Bill likes this.
  12. Tarnisher

You're definitely not the first to make that recommendation! But it seems that Princetons also do this, and take up much less space!

Matt G and Mike M like this.
  13. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

14. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Fender Bassbreaker 007 head.

$350 new, maybe $250 used.

Well I’m way late to this party but I just read through 13 pages and there was not one mention or recommendation for the BB007. It’s all tube (ss rectifier) with no op amps or DSP components. Has Gain/Master and tone controls. No effects, modeling, gimmickry.

just a nice little tube head (or combo) that plays the sweetest cleans at low volumes. It can get mighty gritty too if that’s what you want.

Tarnisher likes this.
  15. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Why are people still making suggestions when he got a Princeton a month ago? Jeez Louise!

16. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

It’s for other people who might read the thread out of interest.

17. Tarnisher

Indeed! Especially since my search ended with a stroke of luck that others can’t easily duplicate.

Coincidentally, a friend just posted on FB about how much he’s enjoying his Monoprice 1x8, and if I hadn’t found the Princeton I’d probably order one:
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=611705

18. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If the problem is disturbing neighbors or ones’ own family I think a headphone based solution is the way to go. By using headphones it can sound gloriously huge, distorted or clean, and no one else hears a thing. By the time you clamp down the volume enough out of any traditional amp to satisfy those who don’t want to hear it, it sounds pretty anemic unless you have a sound proofed practice room. JMHO....

DrPepper and northernguitar like this.
  19. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Well said and was ultimately the solution to the same problem I had...

20. Back at it

Back at it TDPRI Member

Just a old guys opinion, after chasing “the” sound for ages.

remember this is from a long time but wann

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.