I’m off insulin!!!

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I visited the doc for my pre vacation checkup and had my A1C checked. It’s been below 7% for over a year now. Last visit my Tresiba (timed release insulin) was cut in half. Now I'm off it. You’d think things would get cheaper with one less Uber expensive drug but I’m on Farxiga now to reduce heart and kidney risk. My first three months are on a coupon and samples and my doc sent me home with a few months supply of my other expensive injectable. He said to come back in three months for another A1C check and refills. Things are going pretty well right now. I’d rather pay less than more and I appreciate the handouts but I’ll pay what I have to to stay well.

Last edited:

jays0n

Tele-Afflicted
@JL_LI sorry but I read that twice and still feel it is maybe in another language. The feel of it is positive though, and that you are now in better health than you were. I am glad for that. It would be way to quiet around here without ya.

I hope your vacation is going to be awesome too BTW. Maybe you can explain the trip in layman’s English when you get back and I’ll be able to get that at least :)

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Nice! My A1C crept up to 6.1. I cut bread, rice, pasta, potatoes... I keep the carbs < 30g/day from veggies.
I'm supplementing cardiac rehab with resistance circuits at a really nice fitness center. I'm famished when I get home. I need more than 30g of carbs. My doc has an interesting take on treats. I can have a treat once in a while. "Treat" means I can't remember the last time I had it. "A" means one. One serving, not one pint, bag or anything like that. Carbs are necessary, especially when raising my activity level. It takes will power and discipline. The NP in my doc's office made a good suggestion. Eat a quick release carb breakfast and head immediately to the gym. My sugar will spike when I begin my workout and will gradually decline as I do a cardio or resistance circuit and I shouldn't be famished when I get home. If I'm hungry after the workout, move my coffee from home to the cafe in the gym and have a cappuccino and a banana. No cookies, cake, or especially energy bars. Eliminating the insulin will require some adjustment.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I visited the doc for my pre vacation checkup and had my A1C checked. It’s been below 7% for over a year now. Last visit my Tresiba (timed release insulin) was cut in half. You’d think things would get cheaper with one less Uber expensive drug but I’m on Farxiga now to reduce heart and kidney risk. My first three months are on a coupon and samples and my doc sent me home with a few months supply of my other expensive injectable. He said to come back in three months for another A1C check and refills. Things are going pretty well right now. I’d rather pay less than more and I appreciate the handouts but I’ll pay what I have to to stay well.
I was diagnosed with Type II seven or eight years ago, and put on a couple of different meds for control. I can't take just straight (inexpensive) Metformin, cause it causes serious stomach and lower G.I. distress. My doctor and I have settled on a Metformin and Saxagliptin mixture called Kombiglyze. It's effective for me, but expensive. With my United Healthcare Advantage Plan, I have a reasonable co-pay UNTIL I hit the "coverage gap", usually 6-8 months into the year. Then, my co-pay skyrockets to a cost I'm unwilling to pay. I've found (please pay attention) I can order my prescription from a Canadian pharmacy, pay the full Canadian price WITHOUT insurance of any kind, and still come out cheaper than buying WITH insurance here. Yes....I know the Canadian drug prices are negotiated.....and technically I'm breaking the law.....but sometimes we must do what we have to. My A1C has (with one brief period exception) been in the low 6's.....so I'm doing ok. So far, NO insulin injections.
BTW.....I used Trulicity for a few months a few years ago, with good results.....but it got too expensive (even with insurance) and isn't available through my Canadian pharmacy.
Glad your staying healthy, JL_LI, and enjoy your trip! ;)

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
It's always good to hear when somebody is at the better end of a health problem.
As far as carbs go, I had to review my whole diet in mid 2020 after certain organs and my colon went awry as part of the chain reaction to my main health issue.
I only eat two carbs now and must admit I'm the better for it.
Potato skins or 8-10 very small baked potatoes at night for my tryptophan levels.
And this stuff every morning with a 1/4 teaspoon of good salt, a dash of almond milk and 2 tablespoons of mixed seeds.
1651865985759.png

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
6.2 as of 2 days ago, dodging the insulin bullet still, last year i shot to 29.3 (yow) came down really fast, diet is the key. 4th 3 month A1C below 7 in a row.
glad to hear you are trending downwards congrats

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Congrats on your improved health, JL_LI!

At a recent visit to my PCP my A1C was 6.5. He wants it to go down! My wife has put me on what she calls "the diabetic diet." (I am pretty sure there are several diabetic diets.) I have lost about 6 pounds in the past 2 or three weeks. She has heard bad things about Metformin and does not want me to have to take it!

ICBW, but I suspect some of my prescription drugs might be the culprit. I ate enough sweets in my youth to cause a lot of my teeth to rot and have to be filled, with no effect on my A1C.

My PCP had said that some of his patients are on a meat-only diet. I was surprised to hear from him that there is no ill effect.

Last week I got my hair cut. On the wall of my haircutter was a baseball-type cape with the words "hardcore carnivore." She is on a meat-only diet and is rail-thin. And still does a great job with my hair.

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I visited the doc for my pre vacation checkup and had my A1C checked. It’s been below 7% for over a year now. Last visit my Tresiba (timed release insulin) was cut in half. Now I'm off it. You’d think things would get cheaper with one less Uber expensive drug but I’m on Farxiga now to reduce heart and kidney risk. My first three months are on a coupon and samples and my doc sent me home with a few months supply of my other expensive injectable. He said to come back in three months for another A1C check and refills. Things are going pretty well right now. I’d rather pay less than more and I appreciate the handouts but I’ll pay what I have to to stay well.
Good to hear. I'm quite familiar with Types 1 & 2 diabetes. I'm 72 with three younger brothers (71, 70, 57) and an older sister (74). We've dodged that bullet so far.

My 41 year old daughter has been a Type 1 since she was nine. My mother became a Type 2 in her late 40s and was on one needle (not pills) a day until she died in 2002 at 74 of other complications.

I have a tester (strips/finger-poke) which I use regularly to keep an eye on things.

Last edited:

Tenderfoot

Tele-Afflicted
Good news, JL_LI! Two years ago, I was 198lbs with a 1AC of 14.0. Today I am 147.7lbs and 6.1 1AC. Next blood draw is next week but I should be at same or better based on my daily reading average of 121 over the past 90 days. Like others (here) who are diabetics, the cost for effective medications is High, High! One I take is $681 for 30 days and the other $560 for 30 days.

Keep up the good work and control:)

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Congrats on your improved health, JL_LI!

At a recent visit to my PCP my A1C was 6.5. He wants it to go down! My wife has put me on what she calls "the diabetic diet." (I am pretty sure there are several diabetic diets.) I have lost about 6 pounds in the past 2 or three weeks. She has heard bad things about Metformin and does not want me to have to take it!

ICBW, but I suspect some of my prescription drugs might be the culprit. I ate enough sweets in my youth to cause a lot of my teeth to rot and have to be filled, with no effect on my A1C.

My PCP had said that some of his patients are on a meat-only diet. I was surprised to hear from him that there is no ill effect.

Last week I got my hair cut. On the wall of my haircutter was a baseball-type cape with the words "hardcore carnivore." She is on a meat-only diet and is rail-thin. And still does a great job with my hair.
I understand your wife's concern about Metformin.....there's a lot "out there" about the dangers.
I think, though, sometimes it comes down to which is the lesser of evils.....meaning, yes, a "cure" might have side effects, but it's better than the disease itself. (at least maybe) If you can control your A1C with diet and exercise, that's great. Some people though, may not have that choice.
Regarding your doctor and your 6.5 A1C, I've always heard anything under 7 is good....or at least acceptable. Obviously I'm not your doctor, but congratulations, anyway. ;)

telestratosonic

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Good to hear. I'm quite familiar with Types 1 & 2 diabetes. I'm 72 with three younger brothers (71, 70, 57) and an older sister (74). We've dodged that bullet so far.

My 41 year old daughter has been a Type 1 since she was nine. My mother became a Type 2 in her late 40s and was on one needle (not pills) a day until she died in 2002 at 74 of other complications.

I have a tester (strips/finger *****) which I use regularly to keep an eye on things.
EDIT:

Being "quite familiar" and having to 'live' with diabetes are two completely different worlds and wish to clarify and apologize. I was an observer and that's a whole different world from being someone who is living with diabetes.