I’m looking for an A/B/C pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by TheGoodTexan, Jan 19, 2020.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Anyone know of a 1-in / 3-out pedal that automatically turns off the selected output when you select a different one?

In other words... you’re using output A, and decide you need output C instead... so you press C... and C comes on and A goes off. I don’t want to have to make an extra move to turn off A.

I don’t need any additional features at all, except an LED for each output. Don’t need gain/volume adjustments, or phase switches or anything. I’m not opposed to that... just not necessary.

2. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

BOSS LS-2 set to "Output Select Mode". Although the pedal has two volume controls, I believe those are on the A/B "inputs"... so they should be disabled in this mode.
    • No LED: Input > Output
    • A LED: Input > Output A
    • B LED: Input > Output B
    Each output mode automatically disables the other like you want, but you MAY have to press twice to get where you are going with three options and only one switch. It's still much easier than having to disable/enable like you are hoping to do.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Obsessed and TheGoodTexan like this.
  3. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Check out StarTouch. He has a great line of standard A/B/etc pedals but also does custom work.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  4. TheGoodTexan

Yeah, I’ve used the Boss LS-2 before. It’s a cool pedal for what it does, and can be a really neat tool for certain things. But not what I’m looking for this time.

But thank you for the suggestion!

5. codamedia

Still not perfect.... but here is a "loop masters" option.
    https://www.loop-master.com/version-p-50.html

#1 Switch: Alternates between A and B output
    #2 Switch: Turns on C output while disabling A & B

You get everything you are asking for... but on 2 switches rather than 3.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  6. TheGoodTexan

Awesome - thank you - I’ll send them a message.

Martin R likes this.
  7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  8. TheGoodTexan

That might work. I’ve had a few Loop Masters switchers in the past. They make good stuff. I’ll have to think through the way that functions... it might work for me.

9. TheGoodTexan

I love the Radial stuff. But it's still having to toggle between things, rather than a single step.

10. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

11. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Loop-Master will give you any configuration you want. Any! The pedals are battlefield grade, and the prices are great.

BUT the wait time is considerable.

If you're not in a hurry, it's the way to go.

(A math teacher at my high school had a "service" triangle for hiring people to do things for you. Each side of the triangle had a word on it:

- Fast
    - Cheap
    - Good

A straight line through the triangle can intersect any two. Which means you can get service:

- Fast and cheap.
    - Fast and good.
    - Cheap and good.

But you can't get service that's fast, cheap, and good.)

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

In fact, it works great. I have a four-input Loop-Master pedal with three switches. I'm a total techno-weenie, and I have no trouble using the thing.

It sounds strange, but in action it takes no practice or (trust me) brains.

With four channels, it also lets you have the two instruments with their own channels on at the same time. So if someone wants to sit it, they're ready to go.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    TheGoodTexan likes this.
  13. codamedia

That Radial works the same way as the loopmaster I posted. A/B on one switch... C on the other. If you think it through, for the most part nothing is toggled... you just might have to "pre-think" where the A/B has to be set for the next move.

Great pedal... but you have to manually toggle each "A/B/C" on/off... The OP wants a solution where only ONE can be active at any given time.

14. TheGoodTexan

Tell me if I'm thinking about this wrong.

With the Radial or Loop-Master... If I'm in A... and then I go to C... but then I want to go to B... I have to deselect C, and then switch from A to B (or vise versa). There is no way to go directly from C to B (in my scenario) without making two steps. I'm trying to get this whole thing down to a single step for any given output that I want.

If the pedal only has two buttons, there is no way to avoid making two two steps in some cases.

15. codamedia

Change your mindset just a little.... ;)

If you are in A.... then go to C.... be then want to go back to B....
    While in C you would switch from A to B at a convenient moment... then when ready to make that move, deselect C.

That way you don't "accidentally" go through A on route to B.

That is true... but the first of a double switch does not have to be done at the time of switching. When you are in C you can select A or B in advance... then just deselect C to get there.

This is why my initial suggestion of the BOSS LS-2 would be my preferred choice. It also "may require" 2 hits... but it's two hits on the same button and the LED makes it really easy to tell which one you are on without any thinking :D

FYI: I am familiar with the type of switching you would ultimately like (eg: speaker select "A/B/C"... choosing one deselects the other).... but I have never seen it in an A/B/C box for guitar. A regular foot switch is not capable of deselecting another without the entire box being a relay system rather than mechanical.

16. TheGoodTexan

I just got a reply back from the Loop Master guy, and he said the same thing. Not possible.

Seems like that's what I'm going to have to do.

codamedia likes this.
  17. TheGoodTexan

At this point, just getting two A/B pedals seems to be an easier solution for me.

18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Morley ABY will flip from A to B with one tap. The other switch is for Both or back to A/B. Sturdy and inexpensive.
    But not sure if they make a 3 output version.

You can use a common switcher. Then push two at a time. I do that all the time with mine flipping to one OD for a solo and back to the other for chording.
    I bet those switcher companies have or will make exactly what you want though.

Check out these guys, they have it I think. I have had 3 of their switchers and they are simple and great. Still using two.
    https://www.loop-master.com/abcd-pedals-c-27.html?osCsid=qli3vkb9iqhg77vupif8mkcvi0

19. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

From what I understand, the Morley A/B/C pedal does exactly that - A, B and C each have their own individual switch that you toggle on and off, independently from the other 2.

Or have I missed something?

20. codamedia

On the Morley... when you turn "A" on it stays on until you turn "A" off. Same with "B" and "C". Therefore, you can end up with all three on at one time.
    In order to go from "A" to "C", you have to push two buttons... "A" again to turn it off, then "C" to turn it on.

Op just wants to press "C" and have that disengage "A" automatically. One button push rather than two. He wants a pedal that can only have one on any any given time.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.