I’m Having The Best Time

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
The worship band I joined last year is one the best I’ve ever been on. We generally have four guitar players, (all acoustic), percussion, and electric bass. We’re all in our 60s and been playing for decades. So each one knows enough to listen to the others and try to mix it up so that we’re not all playing the same chord voicing.

And it’s not just one singer. We’ve all been worship leaders, or are WLs now. Each one of us brings a song or two, of our own choice, and takes the lead. And soloing is encouraged! And this happens every Tuesday, for the Men’s Bible Study.

On Tuesday this week I sang Faithful One, arranged in an R&B style, like Al Green might do it. (Without the falsetto.) Another time I sang More Love More Power, and played a solo with the bottleneck. We have fun, total freedom.

Ascension

Tele-Afflicted
Feel you! I have always believed that every Church should have a unique voice in it's worship. Have played in Churches that had vastly different feels and styles but also had a sound that was unique to them.
One was Cathedral Of The Cross and we never did a song like the recording. Would learn the song then put our spin on it.
7700 member Church that ran 3500 or so in the sanctuary on a normal Sunday morning. Had a bunch of solid players and I was the guitarist for 6 years. We had our own sound and it was a BLAST playing stuff like this!
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4939016
After that Church came apart played with these guys a few years same type thing.
https://app.box.com/s/97a73aaf5f7f3d95496c
Place I'm at now is kinda the same way. Little Church of only about 100 or so but man do we have FUN!

black_doug

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Feel you! I have always believed that every Church should have a unique voice in it's worship.

. . . Place I'm at now is kinda the same way. Little Church of only about 100 or so but man do we have FUN!

Until I joined this church the idea of having fun never occurred to me. Maybe it’s because I’m older that I’ve changed, but I used to feel I had to be serious all the time. Can anyone relate?

budglo

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Black_doug, plus 1000 percent. And what Ascension said. Worship should be fun and exciting . Yes it’s work , but really we are merely facilitators ,in the end God gives us all different giftings to be used as he He sees fit for His glory .

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Until I joined this church the idea of having fun never occurred to me. Maybe it’s because I’m older that I’ve changed, but I used to feel I had to be serious all the time. Can anyone relate?
It's a blessing to serve.

Ok, I'm not really a worship player like the rest of y'all, but I do take my acoustic guitar out to a Senior Living Center lead the music out there once or twice a month. And I enjoy it. We sing out of hymnals from 1991, usually songs that had also appeared in the 1956 Baptist Hymnal. My brother once told me the '56 was aimed at fans of Hank Sr. So the acoustic guitar works well with the songs.

And I get a blessing from serving.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Black_doug, plus 1000 percent. And what Ascension said. Worship should be fun and exciting . Yes it’s work , but really we are merely facilitators ,in the end God gives us all different giftings to be used as he He sees fit for His glory .
To put it another way, people presenting worship music should SHOW what joy it gives them.

Even in a "traditional" service. One of the violinists in our church orchestra, an young teenage girl, often smiles big while playing. And sings along when her violin part has rests.

hotraman

Tele-Afflicted
It's a blessing to serve.

Ok, I'm not really a worship player like the rest of y'all, but I do take my acoustic guitar out to a Senior Living Center lead the music out there once or twice a month. And I enjoy it. We sing out of hymnals from 1991, usually songs that had also appeared in the 1956 Baptist Hymnal. My brother once told me the '56 was aimed at fans of Hank Sr. So the acoustic guitar works well with the songs.

And I get a blessing from serving.

Thats great that you are still willing and able to sing / play /lead worship.
All of us should go play whenever we are invited. The world needs to hear more faith based songs, more than ever.