Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TenaciousP, Aug 21, 2020.
Looking forward to the final assembly shots.
You want final assembly pics you say? Well, get ready for it... Here they come!
So I thinks it’s official. The LP makeover is 100% DONE!
Of course, no makeover is complete without some glamour shots.
Notice how the red has lost a lot of its brightness. It has definitely faded a bit over the last month or so.
How about some outdoor pics!
Anyhow, I guess this brings this thread to an end. I hope you all enjoyed seeing my guitar renovation. I really feel that it came out looking, sounding and playing much better than it was before. I truly feel very proud of the results and enjoyed sharing the process with you. Thank you all for all the kind words along the way.
Beautiful, inspiring work. Re fading. How do you fade ? I hear some people use UV and it doesn’t work. Does it depend on how you Color it? I tried to build a 30 year old faded look into my twins by using dye to Color because a) I don’t have skill to spray a burst b) I had more experience dying than spraying Color but I still got advice on how to dye because I had blotchy tops. Anyway awesome awesome build/rebuild!
So for the fading, I use aniline dye to color my lacquer. I use the J.E. Moser brand from Woodworkers Supply to be specific. I don’t remember the exact color names off the top of my head, but I can look at the bottles and let you know if you would like. Anyhow, the Moser aniline red (alcohol soluble by the way) is not very colorfast. It will fade extremely fast if exposed to direct intense UV light. However I find that setting something sprayed with it out in the yard in harsh mid day sun results in an ugly fade that doesn’t look right at all. It needs to just fade slowly and it will have a very traditional orange brown faded look. But I must tell you that my guitar has not been sitting near any windows or anything like that. It was hung in a closet for 3 weeks to dry with the doors closed and kept in a case for the last week or so during the assembly phase. Somehow, the red will fade a little on its own even when hidden away in darkness most of the time. I will admit, spraying a burst is intimidating. I don’t have much experience with it myself. What I usually do is take some 1/4” thick birch plywood and cut out some (insert guitar of choice) shaped pieces. I sand them fairly smooth then seal them like I would a guitar. Then hang one up like it were a guitar and practice my burst spraying. It takes some time, but it’s relatively cheap practice. And the birch has a similar look to maple or alder sort of, so you get a decent idea of what it’s gonna look like.
Cool. Thanks. I know LP owners who have tried to fade the 90s really bright red/yellow bursts with UV and said it didn’t work at all. So those must have been colourfast, where the 50s were not.
I used dyes mixed into my lacquer for my last telecaster build and it worked nice. For my twin vintage 59 style build I used leather dyes and tried to “build in” the faded look.
Your glamour shots are glamorous. This has turn out exquisite, and you sir are a daring and talented guitar builder. That's really a fine looking guitar. I am getting ready to start prepping the wood for #2, and I am going to be referring to your two threads again. Adirondak5's and of course, Preeb's build threads, and a few others are bookmarked for rapid reference. Which magnets did you go with for your pickups? I am going to stick with Alnico 2 for #2, because I am just easy that way.
Thanks Engraver! I feel honored that you consider my threads as worthy of being reference material. Especially since I don’t have the kind of experience level that those other guys have. In fact I’ve only got 7 builds (and 1 rebuild haha) under my belt so far. But I hope to be doing some more building very soon.
For magnets I used A5’s in both pickups this time. With the bridge being the unoriented type and the neck being an oriented. Not sure exactly what that means. Something about alignment of the molecules while being cast... I think. Also I kept everything the same in the bridge pickup other than the magnet. It’s about 7.8-7.9k. I installed lower wind coils in the neck so it’s only about 7.0k. I won’t say that it sounds drastically different. Of course at this point it’s hard to remember exactly how it sounded before. But I’m happy with the results. And the out of phase middle position is really funky sounding and I like it. I plan to keep it that way for the time being.
Thanks again for all the kind words.
Oh and, @Engraver-60, I forgot to mention that I am looking forward to seeing your #2 build. I have been checking in on it everyday.
Thanks, but it will be a while before I make real sawdust. I have to complete TeleBaum first.
I hear ya! So many guitar projects... so little time.