1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

I’m giving my LP a makeover!

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TenaciousP, Aug 21, 2020.

1. smile-4-me

smile-4-me Tele-Meister

The refinish looks great. Can’t wait to see it in person.

2. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Hey! Thanks! Yea, you’ll have to check it out sometime soon. Hopefully I can get it wet sanded, buffed and reassembled in the next week or two.

3. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Afflicted

That's great that you're tearing into it to make it more to your liking. That was a pretty nice finish, I can't wait to see what the one you're happy with looks like! :cool:

TenaciousP likes this.
  4. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Amazing! It looked pretty good before, looking forward to what it will be like afterwards!

I agree with your decision to splice a piece of binding. Makes much more sense, and will be invisible under the bracket.

TenaciousP likes this.
  5. smile-4-me

smile-4-me Tele-Meister

Well are you at the wet sand and buff stage now?

6. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Very nice.

TenaciousP likes this.
  7. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Not yet... haven’t had a chance to work on it. Hopefully this afternoon.

8. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

I finally got around to working on the guitar again this weekend. I got it all wet sanded starting with 800 grit and going up through 2000.

6E1F1FB1-E1AF-47EE-9B07-28948FB9ACDE.jpeg CFD819A8-42DD-45C3-9721-5409B0A4F058.jpeg

Then polished!
    E824552E-7A6B-4A5E-94D2-8D8B46F9DC18.jpeg 2B5F37B3-1996-42A1-9465-91A0693C75BC.jpeg
    FD960A77-594F-4EFB-A768-B9CDA72E0C6B.jpeg

I think it looks pretty good!

I also lightly sanded and polished along the top of the neck binding as the lacquer had a rough edge there where it met the masking tape.

I had noticed a few minor fret buzzes while playing in the past. so I also went over the entire fretboard with a fret rocker and crowning file to take down any high frets. Hopefully that’ll get it playing a bit better.

zippofan, Nick-O, LPTyler and 9 others like this.
  9. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

It's a beaut, but will the red fade? Either way, you've made a drop dead gorgeous guitar there. Question, since I did not see it on previous pages - how many coats of clear did you shoot on this, because it really looks deep and rich?

10. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Thanks! Yes, the red will fade and become more orange brown over time. The previous finish was deliberately faded by sitting it in front of a window for a couple of weeks. I used the same aniline dyes this time as I had before. I don’t plan on doing a drastic fading like that on this finish. I’ll just let it do it’s thing naturally.

I did about 5 or 6 coats of clear. The first two were dark amber colored clear. I usually keep a jar of clear lacquer sitting out in the backyard. After a few months of summertime sunlight. It gets to be a very dark amber color. Like the color of really concentrated tea. I’ll take a pic of it when I get a chance if you want to see what it looks like. Anyhow I think the amber just gives the bindings an ages look right away. It probably contributes a little something to the overall color of the guitar as well. But it’s probably very subtle. After the amber I sprayed just regular clear over that. Probably 3 good wet coats. I usually consider a coat to be a couple of passes to get it really wet looking. I'm sure there are folks that can spray a much better and/or thinner finish. But I like to give myself plenty of material to wet sand. I hate sanding through to the color coat. Ha ha!

urbandefault likes this.
  11. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Looks awesome!

TenaciousP likes this.
  12. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Here is an example of what I hope the eventual fading will turn out like.

Below is a pic of the LP I built for a friend of mine in 2018. It was sprayed in a dark burst scheme (the inspiration for my refinish). It had the vibrant red initially as well.

1B5606CC-ED53-4527-A596-C312B744D5C6.jpeg

Now here is a pic that he sent me a few months ago. You can see a faint tan line from the pickguard next to the fretboard.

D59189D5-0CC3-4258-A635-0ABD8C1209E6.jpeg
    I hope mine will fade to nice dark ice tea burst like this.

zippofan, LPTyler, cdwillis and 5 others like this.
  13. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Thanks Ricky! I’m glad you like like it.

14. Engraver-60

Very nice. I do a similar trick with DNA and Super Blond Flake Shellac. I put about 2" of the shellac in a used and cleaned soy sauce bottle, then add DNA. Shake and try to mix - it doesn't - so I set it in the window sill and voila in a day or so it's beautifully mixed. Nice golden color. I do the same with the cheap stuff Garnet Flakes - I use that for the darker colored woods where the tinting won't matter. This is all for French Polish, which in my understanding is very similar to nitrocellulose, but not sprayed on. I do have the Mohawk/Behlens Musical Instrument Nitrocellulose waiting in the wings for #2.

Another Q: What type of spray gun or cans did you use? Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to learn how to get it right.

15. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

I have been using shellac as a sealer for a long time now. I tried using some of the Zinsser brand spray shellac, but have had some problems with it not drying properly. Probably too old. So I went back to dissolving fresh flakes again. Fresh made shellac seems to work great. As far as French polished shellac being similar to nitro lacquer, I’m not so sure on that. I guess technically they are both solids dissolved in a solvent. But I think shellac is much more environmentally friendly and natural. I guess you could spray shellac as well from a gun. But I usually just wipe it on with a rag as my sealer coats.

To answer your question, here is the type of gun that I use. It’s one of the cheap small touch up guns from harbor freight. I think it’s about $30 or so (unless you have a coupon :D).
    B1FAD3AF-E251-4E52-BAD8-4A0641B79208.jpeg A432AEB2-412F-4779-A68D-5AD360A43344.jpeg

This is the lacquer product that I usually use. I kinda have a love/hate relationship with this stuff. I like that it dries very hard. Which I guess if you’re of the opinion that a hard finish allows the wood to vibrate more freely, then I guess it’s good. I also like the fact that since it dries very hard, it also checks on its own fairly quickly. Depending on how prone the wood is to expanding and contracting of course. What I don’t like is how easily it chips and cracks when putting screws in and such. I try to be very careful about chamfering the rim of the holes with a counter sink bit first. Just to remove a tiny bit of the lacquer at the edge to help eliminate some of the outward pressure the screw would cause.

EE991E16-9D9B-485E-8692-FC16112D91CC.jpeg

Wallaby, Fretting out and DrBGood like this.
  16. Engraver-60

OK, thanks for that info. I have a HF HVLP gun ($9 at tent sale), but it doesn't have that regulator or filter. I've loaned it to an engineer at work, and he says it works as well as his old expensive guns once you dial it in. I'll have to practice, for sure. Maybe TeleBaum will be my test bed. I'll have to send the wife and kids away on a road trip, because she can smell any hint of volatiles - my nose is shot from all the FP I do.

17. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

WOW.

I wish I had that kind of talent.

I just took off the old strings on my Tele the other day, buffed her down with wax, restrung her, and changed the chrome knobs out for black ones.
    And I was actually proud of myself!!

And then I see the work of a true craftsman, and I slink off into my corner and lick my wounds.
    :oops:

zippofan and RiversQC like this.
  18. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Much respect - hand on heart
    :cool:

Peace - Deeve

TenaciousP likes this.
  19. TenaciousP

TenaciousP Tele-Holic

Is the $9 gun the little purple one they have with the metal cup that sticks out to the side? If so, I have one of those as well, but I haven’t gotten it out of the box yet. The silver one I have been using comes with a regulator. I think I bought the filter piece separately at HF. I need to remove it though. It’s got a crack in the clear plastic that’s starting to leak air.

20. Engraver-60

It's a number 47016, purple 20 oz., 6 cfm
    [​IMG]
    I still have the original box, and the instructions. I used to paint quite a bit when I designed and built custom ergonomic material handling equipment. I used Binks suction types, and had tons of over spray, IH Yellow. Cleaning was always a fun time with mineral spirits, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.