I’m becoming an expert on PTOs. Go ahead, ask me a question

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Man that is weird! I guess I've never been around that sort of PTO before! LOL! Looks problematic to me...

The twisted belt and pulleys arrangement just attaches to the PTO spline with a tapered bushing; it’s not uncommon on retrofit belly mowers like the Woods 59 in the picture...which were also available with mounts for larger tractors with standard PTOs. Although on a standard PTO the drive pulley would be a lot bigger, to get the step-up ratio from 540 rpm to blade speed...maybe 2,000-2,500 or so at the blade spindles.

Apparently the belt drive arrangement is called a “mule drive,” not sure why.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Dear @Buckocaster51 :

Is it OK to stand on my tractor’s PTO to reach something very high if I don’t want to walk back to the shed for a step stool? Asking for a friend…

If it’s too much trouble to disengage the PTO and shut off the engine first, make sure you at least throttle it way down, so you can sort of jog in place while you stand on it. Much safer that way.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
If it’s too much trouble to disengage the PTO and shut off the engine first, make sure you at least throttle it way down, so you can sort of jog in place while you stand on it. Much safer that way.
Jogging is difficult. I only have one leg, due to a tractor accident. See there was this one apple, way up high, and I didn’t want to walk back to the shed, so…

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Ok, let’s talk water wells: Would your typical PTO be better for a drilled/cased well or for an augured well? Can you use your PTO to run the grout for a cased well?

Asking for a friend…

Tell your friend that bottled water is readily available. Get rid of that old-fashioned well.

Next question. Next question!

BradKM

Tele-Afflicted
When you say “throttle plate,” are you referring to the carb butterfly or the toothy quadrant thing that holds the throttle control lever in a set position? If the latter, ours is pretty worn too, so I filed a deeper notch at mowing speed...but it sucks; we need a new one.

That's the one I'm referring to. I should try filing the teeth. Mine aren't evenly worn. It looks like the one right in the "sweet spot" has been chipped off.

I'm mainly hanging on to mine for sentimental reasons and really only use it to lay off rows in the garden.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
Put that thing back together and mowed for a few hours. It worked!

Now if I can go the rest of my life without taking it off...

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Put that thing back together and mowed for a few hours. It worked!

Now if I can go the rest of my life without taking it off...

could you retrofit your PTO to run an electric generator that could run the tractor AND the PTO.... it would be like the last scene of the beatles yellow submarine!

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
could you retrofit your PTO to run an electric generator that could run the tractor AND the PTO.... it would be like the last scene of the beatles yellow submarine!

Perpetual motion...check it out

I sure wish Buckocaster would slip in some details on what that PTO is attached to! Anything! Any era! Any condition! Any configuration!

That’s my main question; what is your PTO attached to?

Part of me wants it to be something weird, maybe an old Yazoo mower with a Wisconsin engine or something.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Priming the pump a little...DR field and brush amputator I mean mower, with twisted belt PTO...
F9D38171-2F19-433B-B90B-553FBA8440BA.jpeg

...and 1950 Ford 8N and 5-foot brush hog, an unshrouded PTO which could really use a piece of that 4” ABS perf pipe on it, but which does have both an overrunning clutch and a slip clutch, as pictured earlier by @jvin248

55E6DA50-CB3F-44EF-ADF4-3400B4607347.jpeg