I’m becoming an expert on PTOs. Go ahead, ask me a question

Cpb2020

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
Here’s my question: can we all agree that talking about PTOs is even more fun when there are pictures of the machines (tractors, implements, whatever) that the PTOs attach to? Maybe not crop the pics quite so tight?

Here’s my only machine with a PTO.

F6E03512-3C6B-4231-86B6-F8063B80AE1D.jpeg

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I've been around PTO's all my life, and have had my fair share of close calls. We can get so used to our machines, so comfortable with them, we can take em for granted and forget just how dangerous they are. I'm just gonna say it - Ya'll be careful out there, and be mindful! Hard to pick a Tele without fingers and arms! ;) Just a safety reminder for the day.... carry on :cool:

Beautiful Farmall ya got there BTW @Cpb2020 :D

drf64

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
my RPM story: John Deere's 10 series Farm Tractors came out in the early 60s. My dad bought a used 4010 in the 70s and it was our primary tractor for several years. The PTO could run 540 or 1000 RPM, but one had to replace the PTO Spline to do so. There was a spring loaded pin in the center of the spline mount on the tractor. Pin out = 1000 RPM, Pin in = 540 RPM. The mount side of the 540 spline was flat, pushing the pin in. the mount side of the 1000 rpm spline was recessed, allowing the pin to extend. All of our implements were 540 RPM, so I never really thought aobut the mechanism; we never changed. I was using a haybine one time when it stopped running and I was hearing and feeling the awful experience of gears stripping from below me. The haybines took a lot of power because of all of the moving parts, so it was more of a stress on the tractor than other implements. It turned out the 540 spline mount bolts had loosened and this had allowed the 1000 gears to partially engage and strip out. Horribly expensive lessen! And really not a good design from Deere on an otherwise incredibly well designed tractor.

Commodore 64

Friend of Leo's
Anyone remember the 80's commercial for some toy trucks? I still sing it sometimes.

"P....T....O! Power take off. Pull yourself up. If you get stuck."

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
This one is not so much about PTO operation, but rather more of a comparison between PTO & other equipment types: Does it hurt more or less to sever your foot with a PTO mower or a typical 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton push mower?

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

You've got a few splines missing half their height and twisted a bit. You might want to file and straighten their profile so you have less resistance pushing on that newly reworked PTO connection. Some use a wire or strap to keep PTOs out of the dirt ;)

So what's that little clutch thing in the PTO shaft? If I get one will I not have to wait for the shredder blade to coast to a stop before I can put it in reverse?
Or, further, when my grandpa was about five beers into a six pack and brush-hogging around the lake, would he have been able to push in the clutch and stop without the brush hog’s flywheel effect putting him and the tractor into the drink?

If your tractor does not have a separate 'live pto' clutch you should get one of these from Tractor Supply/etc .. an 'over-running clutch'. Many brush hoggers with old tractors have been pushed through neighbor's fences (or into the pond) when the brush hog propeller kept spinning and driving the tractor wheels even though the driver had the clutch in to disconnect the engine from the drivetrain (and pto) while frantically standing on the brakes.
Ford 9N, 2N, and 8N; Ferguson TO-20, TO-30, and some TO-35s; many other old tractors prior to the 1960s do not have a live PTO clutch and you should get one of these. It's like the clicker-dogs in the back wheel of a bicycle.

This is good on the implement side to protect the brush hog gearbox, a universal friction clutch:

Something I learned about recently: if you are going to use your tractor in the winter where the wheels could be frozen to the ground, always 'back up' when first starting the tractor as people have been killed by their rear wheels frozen to the ground and the tractor lifting itself and flipping over.

If you have one of those old Ford or Ferguson tractors ... check the condition of the rubber boot(s) on the gear shifter(s). The rubber gives out and then water runs down the shifter into the transmission. Worst cases: locking up the trans so you cannot shift or spoiling the several sets of needle bearings in there in addition to corroding the gears and hydraulic system, or if enough water gets in there the trans and rear end castings can crack apart from freezing ice in the winter. Symptom is white/creme gear oil when you open the inspection port or check the dipstick. Those boots cost less than $3 each.

When I drained the transmission in the Ferguson I brought here this spring, it was half filled with water with a locked up shifter. About two months of stripping it down, ordering parts, before it was going again. Included splitting the tractor in three sections and getting it all lined up again.

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ok, let’s talk water wells: Would your typical PTO be better for a drilled/cased well or for an augured well? Can you use your PTO to run the grout for a cased well?

Asking for a friend…

BradKM

Tele-Afflicted
Okay, tough guy, how does a standard PTO differ from the one on a Farmall Cub?

Cub PTOs spin in the opposite direction (counter clockwise) and at a much higher than standard RPM, which means if you want to use an implement not specifically designed for the Cub, you'll need a converter box that reverses the spin and gears things down to 540.

If anybody has a spare throttle plate or drawbar & bracket set for one, lemme know.

Alcohen

Tele-Meister
Super cool of you folks to educate us urban soft-handed types on this stuff. You can see the history unfolding with each ingenious implementation. Though that circular saw gave this guitar player the heebie-jeebies. Didn't help to see the one-armed guy in the video.

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Here’s a seriously unrestored example of a Farmall Cub (1947), to compare and contrast with @Cpb2020 ’s gleaming example a few posts back. It’s laid up waiting for me to get the magneto rebuilt (zooming in, I see Cpb2020 has the optional battery-and-coil distributor ignition, and I envy him that).

3EB61552-BAF9-4B4A-BEAA-E25424AA40DD.jpeg

Here’s the “quirky” Cub PTO, which is a smaller diameter than standard (I think 1-1/8” vs. 1-3/8”...?), and runs at engine speed (1,600 rpm max no-load) vs. the standard 540 rpm.

Although with 9 hp, the selection of non-Cub-specific implements it would run comfortably is pretty small, and Cub implements are around if you look.

01D59228-77DF-421F-A4CE-952C212933FD.jpeg

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Super cool of you folks to educate us urban soft-handed types on this stuff. You can see the history unfolding with each ingenious implementation. Though that circular saw gave this guitar player the heebie-jeebies. Didn't help to see the one-armed guy in the video.

Yepperz! You think that picture is something imagine standing near it when it's running! :eek: The blade literally whistles as it cuts through the air, and the power driving it is nothing short of terrifying and amazing all at the same time o_O:confused::cool:

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
Cub PTOs spin in the opposite direction (counter clockwise) and at a much higher than standard RPM, which means if you want to use an implement not specifically designed for the Cub, you'll need a converter box that reverses the spin and gears things down to 540.

If anybody has a spare throttle plate or drawbar & bracket set for one, lemme know.

When you say “throttle plate,” are you referring to the carb butterfly or the toothy quadrant thing that holds the throttle control lever in a set position? If the latter, ours is pretty worn too, so I filed a deeper notch at mowing speed...but it sucks; we need a new one.

If you meant the butterfly, I know there were IH-built carbs and Zenith-built carbs in different years, and I don’t think they share parts but are swappable. Ours is a Zenith, and I think it would have been IH originally but a former owner swapped it.