I’m an optimist, and I’ll tell you why…

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Well, it largely has to do with my faith, and of course it’s against the rules to tell you about that here. But life experience is a very large part of my optimistic outlook, which my faith/worldview interprets as reasons for keeping on the sunny side of life. And I can tell you about those.

Regarding my life experiences, let me set your mind at ease right up front. I won’t go into great detail here, but I could tell you stories all day long. Some of them would even be true. ;)

My life has of course had its share of pain. I’ve made mistakes that have caused me and/or my loved ones pain. At times I’ve been at odds with family members. I’ve suffered financial reversals and catastrophic events such as a house fire. I’ve had a diagnosis of diabetes, a heart attack and subsequent quadruple bypass surgery. I’ve suffered painful losses of family, my father in 1989 at age 57, most recently my younger brother Buddy in September of last year, at age 61.

But in all of those painful categories, good has come out of those experiences. My mistakes, rather than define me, have instructed me. The disagreements and conflict with family have been mostly resolved, and where they haven’t been/can’t be, there is still love. We’ve come through those financial hard times. We were able to rebuild after the fire. And though some things were lost in our house fire, many remained. All five of my guitars at the time were saved by the firefighters. I’ve even had telecaster style guitars made from lumber salvaged from our house fire, my “Firecasters.” They are my object lessons for optimism.

The diabetes/cardiac issues presented me with the challenge to own up to my poor decisions regarding diet and exercise, and I have since reversed my Type II diabetes through diet and exercise alone. I’ve been taken off all medications.

And though I miss my father and now my younger brother, their memory endures, and the good relationships we had remain with me. And I have good kids and 19 grandchildren, so there’s love and hope for the future.

And last but most certainly not least, my wife and I will celebrate 49 years of wedded bliss next month. Well, that’s 49 years of bliss from my perspective. You’d have to ask her how many years have been blissful for her. :oops:

So while at times I see things that disappoint or even grieve me, yeah, I’m an optimist. Who’s with me?

feldkeen

Tele-Meister
Oh by the way I am a optimist I don’t feel my strat is half empty. It’s just that the mojo leaks out when it’s in my hands.

LGOberean

Doctor of Teleocity
Oh by the way I am a optimist I don’t feel my strat is half empty. It’s just that the mojo leaks out when it’s in my hands.

Glad you cleared that up. I have the same relationship between my teles' mojo and my hands. But there's just a bunch of fun in playing them, so my optimism remains in tact.

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I am absolutely a pessimist, and everyone around me knows it. Strangely, most people don’t think of me as a particularly negative person. Also, while I’m pessimistic about things in general, I am mostly optimistic (or just in denial) regarding myself personally.

Me: “The world will burn!”
Them: “And what about you?”
Me: *shrugs* “I’ll manage…”

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
49 years, eh?

1645883647396-jpeg.956479

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't know what I am - my core wiring - but did train myself to look at about all things with a better set of eyes as I grew and aged. If there were turning points they mostly from the way my mother handled my father's early death and my learning to bury stuff that won't do anyone any good.

My mother's lesson in this was telling me to put on a smile and get to work after my dad died, her saying that with reminding the world won't stop or care about our problems. The getting better about handling stuff was not immediate. I also tried to understand and follow traits of people I admired or who were very successful.

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Hi Larry!
I’m an optimist too, though my reason for being one is different.
Good eventually triumphs, though it is aslo constantly challenged.
People must have peace, or nothing can progress.
I’m grateful our recent health crisis is subsiding. I’m (cautiously) optimistic our brand new crisis can be settled, too.
I’m sorry for your recent losses.
You’re made of good stuff!

Last edited: