I’m a glutton for green. What do we know about Mitchell Guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Bluego1, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

2. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Save your money.

3. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

I'd look at Harley Benton or Slick.

Bluego1 likes this.
  4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

House brand for GC ... Worth a shot with their return policy ...

Bluego1 likes this.
  5. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

But what do we know about Mitchell.

6. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

I played the single cut with coil split. It was one of the best single cuts ever. As good as a Gibson. To me anyways. Do not let brand snobery get you down. It was that good. Really. I thought about getting one. Alnico pickups. Nice wood. Awsome. Not 1 flaw. Now I have not played the model you are asking about. I still want the single cut. Perfect fit and finnish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Bluego1 likes this.
  7. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

8. Donny Osmond fan

I love expensive guitars new and used for a great price. Vintage guitars as well. The offbrands. See my Jupitor thread. I tried the single cut. I was shocked it was so good. And was to me better than a Gibson. Like a expensive single cut. Wood was great. Binding was great. And Alnico pickups do not need changing at all. For a new or used price it can't be beat.

Bluego1 likes this.
  9. Bergy

Bergy Tele-Holic

Hmm, dunno Blue...yea thats the house brand for Guitar Center. Some of em are worth the money, some of em are downright frustrating. If it was something you could get your hands on first I think it would be worth taking a look at. It seems to me that perhaps their electric guitars have been a little bit better than their acoustics. I suspect you'll notice the Epiphone you got is put together with a little more attention to fine details. I dunno if that particular model you're looking at has the upward angled input jack like the Burled one in the post below it, but I really don't like those. A lot of times I'll pick up a Mitchell guitar thinking "Hey that looks kinda cool!" but for me they have rarely lived up to that first impression.

Bluego1 and Chuckster like this.
  10. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I believe they are made by Samick. I bought a Mitchell 12-string acoustic that eventually ended up in the fire pit.

Look beyond the color and stick with reputable brands.

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I had their rosewood D45 Dread copy years ago, and it sounded really good for a $300 guitar with a solid top and laminated Brazilian RW back and sides, and the Brazilian and fake abalone were really nice looking too.

Bluego1 likes this.
  12. Donny Osmond fan

Samick makes reat guitars.

rangercaster likes this.
  13. Henry Mars

You would be better off with Ibanez .... seriously better off.

14. adamkoop

adamkoop Tele-Meister

I've got an MD300 that I got as a scratch and dent deal from musician's friend for about that much. There was a little run in the clearcoat on the headstock, and that's it.

build quality on mine is good, neck is a nice profile (it's listed as being one piece, but has a scarf joint, so don't buy if you're desperate for a one piece neck). The 300 has locking tuners, which do a solid job. Frets were well dressed, taller than I'm used to, but feel good. pickups are nice, actually .. in my opinion. Two rail humbuckers, single coil size in the neck, full size humbucker in the bridge. pushpull pot coil splits both together. It gets really jangly in the middle position with them split, warm in the neck as a humbucker, and it cooks in the bridge position in split or full.

the body is thick, at least two pieces, maybe 3, but what isn't these days.

If you can get past it not having one of the more familiar names on the headstock, you'll have a pretty solid guitar.

For the money, I don't know that you'll find it to be desperately wanting in any major way. That said, mine is the next tier up, so I can't speak directly to what the 200 is like.

Bluego1 likes this.
  15. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I have the Ibanez budget AX 120. It’s great now, but the original guts were pretty shoddy. I expect pretty much the same from this. For that price, and that color and look, and the MF return policy, I’ll give it a shot.

16. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Holic

I’ve read the only difference is the tuners.

17. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Brazilian rw? Really??

18. Henry Mars

You get what you pay for most of the time. I have an Ibanez AM73B ... did some work on it and it plays and sounds great. I have much better but I use this one on gigs a lot. A lot of my friends like it too. There are inexpensive guitars that get the job done. For the most part these things are just tools to me. That said I do have minimum acceptability standards. One of the best players I know uses guitars that can be bought new for $120 ..... go figure.

Bluego1 likes this.
  19. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I got given a HD400 and was surprised how good it is. Most of their higher models are pretty well appointed for the price levels and well made. They have harder frets than my SE's. This one came with a Floyd Rose Special which is better than most of the cheap knockoffs. The ones that don't have a locking nut have staggered locking tuners and double truss rod which is pretty good in those price points. Some have alnico humbuckers, this one which is kind of like a Ibanez RG has hot ceramic ones but they get a decent range of tones. It's 24 fret HSH with 5 way switch. When you go to position 2 or 4 it splits the humbucker to the closest coil to the middle combining it. Has a really nice Tung oil neck that feels great but is a bit thin for my tastes. The other guitars have various push/pulls.

I was quite impressed for the money, actually liked the guitar just not the more modern shred look and Dark blue transparent finish on the back so much.

[​IMG]

Bluego1 likes this.
  20. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Yes, laminated Brazilian, at least it looked like it. This was before the CITES restrictions on Brazilian. I can remember high end Yairi (or Alvarez/Yairi) dreads with fancy Brazilian backs and sides in the 70s, after Martin stopped using it. Remember that Martin quit using Brazilian in '69, not because of any international restrictions, but because the Govt. of Brazil wouldn't let them import raw logs into the US, instead insisting that the trees be cut in Brazil. Martin found that unacceptable, and that's why they switched to Indian Rosewood. There were many other makers that continued to use Brazilian long after Martin stopped. I've seen many older budget and mid level Asian flattops with Brazilian looking bodies. If these aren't Brazilian, then it's another rosewood species that looks very, very much like Brazilian.

Bluego1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.