Hyperrealism?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by ponce, Aug 31, 2019.

1. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I've had a few attempts at home recording years ago but haven't got far with it due to lack of proper gear and preservance.

Some time ago I've started accumulating instruments and gear, reading recording and mixing related books and articles and now I want to start again.

Main goal is to be creative and experiment with my own musical ideas, while trying to make it sound as much as professional and authentic as possible, no matter if commercial style or low fi.

Just as a way of learning the craft of recording and mixing I was thinking of one interesting way. I thought of taking original songs of different styles that I find interesting and trying to replicate (approximate) them in my version as close as possible. Then analize the result and differencies. That should be possible given all the endless possibilities with todays computer based production.

Does this make sense? Have any of you tried this before?

2. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I haven't tried it, but I've heard of Sound Engineering schools trying to replicate well known recordings as an exercise. Sounds like a good idea if you have the time and motivation to do it.

ponce likes this.
  3. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Exactly, exercise is the key word behind this idea.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Steve 78 likes this.
  4. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I think it's a worthwhile exercise. I don't know how much time I'd spend on it, but I think it's worth it to try.

ponce likes this.
  5. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

That would be a good learning exercise, but given the amount of time you will spend on it (and you will :rolleyes:) why not do your own material but apply different production styles - even to versions of the same song.

6. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I thought of doing this just to see (hear) how close I can get to copy a certain song so I can apply recording and mixing experience and techniques on my own material. Having an original recording as a template I could learn how to get certain sounds, textures and balances, I guess:rolleyes:.

7. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Right now I'm reading 'Mixing Secrets for the small studio' by Mike Senior.

Do you guys have any recomendations for other good books on musical production?

I like to watch videos too but I get tired of them faster than reading books. And videos are mostly based on certain techniques, while books tend to cover broader theory.

If you have some video recomendations, feel free to put here some links too.;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  8. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

This used to be the Holy Grail on this forum:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=29283

Verne Bunsen and ponce like this.
  9. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

10. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

It is quite good. For the first dozen pages or so.

Cheers,
    Geoff

ponce likes this.
  11. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, it does kinda derail after awhile.....HOWEVER,
    It is a well done project for a forum topic.

suthol likes this.
  12. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

If you can get the whole songs individual tracks that you can find on YouTube, work with those, then put it all together, should be an invaluable exercise....... Seems like it could be much more useful than just using the finished song as a reference track.

M

ponce likes this.
  13. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Just make sure it's all pointing to results that reflect what you actually want. I know I've thrown out a lot of recording rules and been happier for it.

That being said, if you figure out a magic formula and accidentally record a new Stones record, I'll buy it.

tintag27 and ponce like this.
  14. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

I took this online class in Ableton Live. https://www.kadenze.com/courses/sound-production-in-ableton-live-for-musicians-and-artists-v/info

Some of the exercises ask you to match the characteristics of some other audio clip (panning, EQ, reverb etc.). I did really poorly on the first few. I'm pretty sure the examples are robo-graded (which isn't an excuse for my rotten performance). I only took the class to figure out an aspect of using Live that I was confused about so I didn't spend much time on it after I figured that out.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    ponce likes this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I listen to the local college radio station some. There are recordings that obviously have duplicated every aspect of some Beatles recordings...instrumentation, effects, everything is cloned.....sometimes even the chord structure and bits of melody. These young folks have been raiding their grandparents music libraries.

ponce and studio like this.
  16. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's

"The Art of Mixing: A Visual Guide to Recording..." by David Gibson. It's mostly about EQ but it really helps me literally visualize a mix. It's pricey so look for a used one on Amazon.

ponce likes this.
  17. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

I saw a video version on YouTube today.

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Good thread....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.