1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HX stomp?!?! Holy cow I’m excited!

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Danjabellza, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Just stumbled across this! Looks pretty great! It’s cheaper than any of the amps I’ve been looking into lately and along side my HX effects I’ll have as much or more flexibility than if I had the helix floorboard. Now... how to sell the purchase to the wife...?

JeffBlue, Starrman44 and viccortes285 like this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Close, but not quite. You will still be short several effect slots, plus the full Helix still allows more flexibility, more snapshots, an EXP pedal (x2 with the toe switch), and a VDI port for Variax users.

This unit has been made to compete with the Eventide H9... but also includes the Helix Amps... it should do well in that regard.

3. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

How cool would it be to show up to a gig with a guitar and an HX Stomp and be ready to play in 5 minutes. I still love real amps and huge pedal boards, but this thing can make it so much easier to play out without sacrificing your sound.

Also, I saw that it has a Strobe style tuner. It'll be nice when my Helix rack gets that update.

dotpc and Danjabellza like this.
  4. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Might get one. It would free up my church pedal board rig and give my capacitance switching. Probably use it on a mic stand mount rather than the floor. Looks pretty well thought out.

Plus it's new, different and I'm satisfied with my sound but bored with my board.

Danjabellza likes this.
  5. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

I ordered mine straight away - everything you need in a tiny box

Danjabellza likes this.
  6. Danjabellza

Yeah I guess you’re right, after reading up on it more it would be a little bit lacking compared to the floorboard.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I have been interested / skeptical of going direct for quite a while. This might push me over the edge if it's truly "all you need" in the size of a double stomp, and around half the price of the cheapest high-end modeling to date. I can't think of anything I might do with the full size Helix that this couldn't do.

Even if I decided to keep a couple of core pedals on the board (maybe the fuzz won't cut it, or maybe I want to stick with my comp), that's still an awesomely small package that could go direct OR into an amp.

Danjabellza likes this.
  8. Danjabellza

My very slight qualms with the HX stomp are: 1- with only 2 internal signal paths, I couldn’t do a wet/dry/wet setup(which was a big part of the appeal for me of the bigger helix models) without running an A/B/Y pedal in front of it and still usin my amp for the dry signal, not a total deal breaker, but it still leaves me hauling my amp around. And 2- the floorboard for sure and maybe the LT have mic inputs, which could be used to put reverb/delay etc on vocals which could be useful/handy playing out or even for a church service. Again, not a total deal breaker, but would be a nice/useful tool for some(and something I’d enjoy fiddling around with even just for fun) beyond that, in conjunction with my HX effects, the HX stomp would cover all my necessary bases with room to spare.

9. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

That's really interesting, it sounds like way too much for me. I don't think I would ever do those things or anything nearly as complicated. I definitely don't need to run vocals through my pedalboard!
    At most I have one of each comp/dirt/mod/time based, and during a song the most I might ever do is hit a boost. Half the time I just plug straight into the amp...

I WOULD like a tiny little board that's simple to operate on the stage, is capable of handling multiple genres and 4-5 effects, can go direct if I choose, makes recording simpler, and can be used as a high quality headphones at home device. I was actually looking at the Boss GT-1 which is an entry level product (that could in theory do all of the above for a lot less $) but this has really turned my head.

Danjabellza likes this.
  10. Danjabellza

Another thing to maybe look into is the atomic ampli-firebox. It’s does amp modeling, effects, and has an assignable footswitch. It’s not as flexible or on the fly edit friendly, but it sounds great is a couple hundred less, and seems like t might be a cool entry level modeler if your unsure about it. I’ve almost talked myself into getting one about 100 times in the last couple weeks, before the HX stomp came out.

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Hmm, that's an interesting one that I've never heard of. No mod effects though which are the effects I am most interested in (and no FX loop to stick them between the dirt pedals and the amp sim), no clear "Vox" sound and as far as I can tell no headphone out.

12. Danjabellza

361B574E-795C-46AF-A5F4-01F0283996A9.jpeg
    Well it has the Vox amp for sure, the rest though, yeah. Boo. I could have sworn they had chorus/vibe/trem...

13. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Cool, and thanks for looking it up, but anything without tremolo and phaser is a no-go.

Danjabellza likes this.
  14. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

Just got a HX Stomp last week. I've only played it through my Bluetooth speaker while learning songs and jamming to tracks on U tube. Haven't tried it through one of my tube amps yet. But I'm having problems getting 2 expression pedals to work. What I'm reading on the forums is it's a bug so I'm waiting for a software bug fix. I'm impressed with the sound of this thing I've had a HD 500, Pod,Bogner spider 40 a M13 none of them sounded as good as the HX Stomp. But personally I don't think it sounds better than my Kemper. I also own some nice tube amps Orange Rocker 32,DR Z MAZ 18,RIVERA Chubster 40 Vox AC10C1 which have been collecting dust since I got the Kemper. I don't think I will gig with the HX Stomp but I will bring it as a back up. Not that I don't think it can handle it but I have the Kemper powerhead that I run through a 112 Orange cab like a regular amp. Most of the clubs we play at are too small to go through the PA.

Danjabellza likes this.
  15. dotpc

dotpc TDPRI Member

You could go with the Amplifire 6, it is nearly the same size as the HX Stomp.

Shuster and Danjabellza like this.
  16. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

It would be nice to own. I might prefer the HX Effects to play through my Vox MV50 Clean so the signal chain plays into the NuTube. As good as amp modeling has become, I am still a tube snob.

Danjabellza likes this.
  17. Danjabellza

Me too largely, however... the versatility is what draws me in. Having passable super clean to super high gain and any/everything in between with the push a button... pretty tempting.

JeffBlue likes this.
  18. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

How you monitor modeling is the key. At the Helix/Fractal/Kemper level the modeling itself is exceptional... but IMO, too many people buy a modeler without giving any thought on how they plan on listening to it... how they want to hear it... or how to setup the modeler appropriately for the choice they made.

JeffBlue and Danjabellza like this.
  19. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I just picked one up. Between a trade-in and a discount, I spent less than what a pedal costs out-of-pocket.

Mainly looking for a home-practice solution, but I’ll be damned if this thing isn’t making me strongly consider it for live use.

This is my first experience with higher-end modeling. My old practice setup was a Mustang III hooked up to my laptop. Over time I found myself increasingly unsatisfied with this. First of all, playing tracks always sounded like crap through the speaker and made it hard to hear more intricate parts of songs I needed to learn. Second, and hopefully nobody takes too much offense to this, I began to really hate the sounds of the modeling from the MIII. It did clean to slightly broken-up Fender pretty well, but that’s about it.

I’ve got it hooked up like this at the moment:

Guitar > Mono Input
    Laptop > Aux in (for monitoring tracks)
    USB > Latop (for recording/editing)
    Stereo Outs > Studio Monitors (can plug headphones to monitors if I want.)

This really covers all my needs up to any limitations the Studio Monitors impose (volume). The tracks are now clear, the models sound great, I can record, and go silent if needed. The Stomp obviously takes up very little space on my workstation.

I didn’t take this into consideration before buying, but the stereo effects are out of this world. Harmonic Tremolo is particularly amazing.

Only downsides I’m seeing at the moment are:

1) Sometimes I like to play LOUD and that’s not happening with my current monitors.

2) Tracks are always different levels of loudness, so I have to make regular adjustments to their volume. This is especially true when playing something old vs something newer that is compressed to the limit.

Neither is really a Stomp problem. I’m not really advanced enough a user to care much about 6 blocks vs however many the full size unit uses. I am using the Snapsot feature extensively, as it allows me to use the same amp with the various on/off/at different levels. Very simple.

I just joined a Psychadelic Rock band and the sounds I’m hearing make me want to use this thing live. I just imagine a stereo univibe throbbing around the room. That sounds weird.

I have yet to try just the effects in front of my amp, but will eventually get there I’m sure.

20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Kinda amazing to me that they go through the trouble of these but greatly limit the modulations

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.