HW One, Special, Performer x MIM Classic, Vintera

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by brmusician, Jun 13, 2021.

1. brmusician

brmusician TDPRI Member

Hello,

I’m about to buy my first Telecaster. I have a couple of USA strats and an AVRI J Bass. The price of an used HW One, Special or Performer Telecaster is similar to a brand new MIM Classic or Vintera.

The thing is: I presume a USA Special/HW One/Performer have a better construction than a Classic/Vintera, but the latter are more period correct, so I wonder which would be the best choice for getting the best Telecaster in terms of the more classic tone and feel.

Thanks in advance.

2. AtlanticCity83

AtlanticCity83 TDPRI Member

Hi,

Why should the US made models have a better construction? The necks and bodies being used are the same.

Go for the guitar which sounds and plays best. I would never buy a guitar which doesn't offer the specs I need/want.

My new old 2014 Classic I've bought new a few weeks ago sounds great, is set up well and is well made.

20210529_004324.jpg

20210604_074717.jpg

The Classic 50s have a wonderful neck. I love the vintage fretboard radius. But the Vintera Mod models may offer a more comfortable feel. Try before you buy.

But important is what suits you best, not what's "period-correct".

bls82261, brmusician, LocoTex and 2 others like this.
  3. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I love my Hwy. 1 and the neck is a thin C shape. I build guitars and all my customers want that neck.
    21 mm. @ the 1st. fret and 22mm. @ the 12th. I even had a genuine classical maestro ask me to build him the same. He described it as " phenomenal", not my words, his.
    I shave them by hand even counting the numbers. Also use a satin finish on the neck.
    Gloss seems too sticky.
    Check out Mighty Mite necks ( 21 frets only), they fit perfectly.
    ( No commercial affiliation.)

brmusician likes this.
  4. brmusician

brmusician TDPRI Member

Actually I don’t know if I would fall in love for a thin neck. I’m looking for a fat neck for comfort when doing insane bends. I’m watching and practicing a lot of videos showing licks from SRV, Clapton, John Mayer, and I think I’d get better results with a fat neck. I have a strat with a think neck which seems to make things more difficult. But I don’t know, neck thickness is not the only parameter that improves ergonomics. A good neck profile/shoulder perhaps has more to do with easing some techniques.

5. brmusician

brmusician TDPRI Member

I’m looking for the best tele in terms of (in this order):
    1) playing
    2) looking
    3) sound

I think sound I can easily fix by changing pups. Playing is the hardest thing to improve since you can’t add wood to the neck, and carving the neck is a costly service.

Based on reviews, sometimes Classic MIM necks are said to be more period correct in profile, but they’re thinner than AVRI ones (and also than the original guitars in which they’re based).

But really don’t know… since I can’t test on stores, I’m basing my judgement on advices and reviews.

6. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

My experience is: MIM Thinline sounds and plays great but only after new pickups and pots and a fret level-and-crown from a very good tech. Nice guitar but by the time you pay for all the work, you might as well get the Special, which came ready-to-play out of the box.

The Special is quite a nice guitar but not really a classic tele. Flat radius, big frets and hot pickups make for a more modern sound & feel. I like mine & find it very easy to play but the updated '69 Thinline with Lollar AL3 pickups, vintage radius and frets, is the most Telecaster of any telecaster I own.

If you can try before you buy, you'll know in 15 minutes which is right for you. If you have to buy sight unseen, I would go for the Special -- just guessing that you'll find it more comfortable to play. But some people feel differently.

dscottyg likes this.
  7. dscottyg

dscottyg Tele-Meister

I had a Vintera 50s Modified. Great guitar with the soft V neck. Nice satin and tinted back of the neck. I started buying and selling guitars and ended up getting a couple Baja Teles, which were just like that Vintera 50s Modified except the Baja had a glossy non-tinted neck and of course that great neck plate with the engraving. For some reason, I felt like I needed an American made and couldn’t feel satisfied till I had one - a 2010 American Vintage 52 Hot Rod, which I got used from a guy locally for $1350. I also see American Standards on eBay for about $800-1000. I’d say get an American so you don’t have to second guess it, but if you’re fine with MIM get the Vintera or a used Baja. Just be sure not to get a 7.5 radius neck on the Vintera.

8. NW_TELE

NW_TELE TDPRI Member

Ive had both the 50's Vintera (be it only for 2 weeks as i returned it after that) and an American Performer (which i still own). Both 2020's. As far as craftsmanship goes, the main difference i notice is with the fretwork. The Performer is definitely nicer from my experience. As a matter of fact, its better than both my older American Standard Strats. Reminds me of the higher end ESP's i owned in the past. Level and very smooth on the ends.

Id suggest looking at the Specials and or Performers if given the chance. All that i have played have been really nice.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.