hustle drive > bad horse > mosky sho is a great stacking combo

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by 2after909, Apr 22, 2018.

1. 2after909

2after909 Tele-Holic

I have, and have had, tons of cheap and expensive drive pedals, and I've found it can be a hassle, and expensive, trying to find a combination of drive pedals stack nicely together. So in the interest of saving others money and hassle, I want to share a budget stacking pedal solution that I think sounds as good as anything I've tried: the mooer hustle drive ocd clone (I got mine used on reverb for $40 including shipping) into the tone city bad horse klon clone ($50 new with free shipping) into the mosky sho clone of the z vex super hard on boost ($30 new including shipping).

The bad horse has lots of headroom, so I like using it as my rhythm overdrive and putting the hustle drive before it. If I keep the gain down on the hustle drive but push up the volume i can get a nice lead sound with added gain, volume, and sustain. And with no weird crackles, buzzing, humming or other bad sounding noise. The added gain comes from both the hustle drive and the bad horse, I think. It seems like when you hit the bad horse with more volume it pushes it into more of its own overdrive, so the lead sound you get doesn't sound all that different from the rhythm sound--just more gain, sustain, and volume. I like the bad horse and hustle drive gain controls at about 9 or 10. While lots of drive pedals just give you more gain but no increase in volume when you hit them with added volume coming from a pedal before them in the chain, the bad horse is great at letting the volume boost through. It doesn't choke off the volume at all. And, I'm not sure if it does or not, but it sounds to my ear like the bad horse has the klon style always on buffer in it, which sounds great to me. I like to use the mosky sho after the bad horse, for when I want a lead sound that's pretty much the same as the rhythm sound, just louder. The sho is great as a boost by itself, if you're running a totally clean sound and want a boost. This combination of pedals sound great when they're all on, too. It's a bit over the top, but it's a great sound with all 3 on. I like to use a compressor before gain pedals, and the HD>BH>SHO combo sounds equally good with the compressor on or off. This combo runs dead quiet off a one spot (I actually use a godlyke powerall, but it's basically the same thing), and the pedals are tiny. I love that I can fit them with a tuner, compressor, reverb pedal on a pedaltrain mini with space to spare.

So, while I understand that this isn't exactly a secret that an OCD, a Klon type pedal, and a boost will play nice together, I can say that if you're looking for a foolproof drive pedal stacking combo, this one's a good one. I'm not saying to toss out all your other drive pedals. I have over 20 that I use regularly for recording, but I love this combo for live stuff. It's all I need for gain staging.

kevsonic and hongaku like this.
  2. 2after909

2after909 Tele-Holic

Learned yesterday that the Tone City Bad Horse evidently doesn't have the Klon buffer in it. No problem for me, my tuner (first on my board) has a buffer in it and I also have a JHS buffer at the end of my board, so I figure that's enough (maybe more than enough) buffering for a couple 12' cables and a board with 6 pedals on it. Works great for me, anyway.

kevsonic likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.