Hurricane Ian on the horizon.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
No, we know they're not perfect. But, if you're one of those who is "watching" to see where it goes in this particular hurricane it was really the last 24-12 hours where we saw it headed that far south. Not a lot of time to prep for those who avoided evac orders thinking it was going to track north.
Anyone who has spent any time in Florida and is potentially in the path of a large storm like this (especially if they're near the coast) and doesn't evacuate because the predicted landfall is 30-60 miles away from them- well, that is on them (and not very smart).

As for not a lot of time to prep- here is the European model prediction from last Saturday (FIVE days in advance). Pretty darn accurate on the general area where it would hit. If you're on the west coast of FL- you knew it was headed your way.

hurricane gfs track.png

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
good news .. I'm alive.
bad news .. this building isn't.

we had a minimum 8' surge.
generator died which actually turned out to be fortunate. That's because even though our flood doors held, water pushed in through low electrical and drain pipes under the tech floors where all the power junctions are. So we avoided burned out equipment, fire, and possibility of someone being electrocuted.

more bad news, I need to pee .. there's no working facilities 😮🥺

I'll upload one photo, cell service is struggling.

View attachment 1034356

that barrier is waist high -after- ground and parking elevation. btw, there is a car out there under the water.
I hope you're still safe this morning.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I made it home. It's messy, lost a couple windows and our big canopy. Lots of cleanup to do but I still have a house.

no power at the moment, no surprise there. the real surprise was having a house to come home to.
I'm glad you made it home, and that you still have a home. We've only had one big windstorm which only reached about 115 mph many years ago, but California is the land of trailer houses, and mobile homes, many of them left for parts unknown. While I don't know what you've faced, it was pretty scary for us since it was so uncommon.

My son, and two of our grandkid's own property in Florida, but live here. I think my son's places were okay, but I don't know about the grandkid's houses. I hope you can sort things out and get everything put back together. I salute you folks who live there, the storm comes, knocks you down, and you hop right back up, and get ready for another round like a street fighter in an Irish pub!

Best to you,

TD

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Hearing from friends and family in Daytona just a few minutes ago. Flooding, power lines down all over the place, 60 MPH winds and rain still going on, and typical damages like shingles and siding gone, some trees down, etc. etc. There will be a lot of cleanup it sounds like, but everyone I know there are safe. They are expecting to be without power for days. I guess they got dumped on with epic tons of rainfall over the night, and it's still raining and now the winds are kicking up to 60.

Please keep the prayer chains going and thank you! 😇🙏🙏🙏

Rocky058

Tele-Afflicted
"I hope you can sort things out and get everything put back together. I salute you folks who live there, the storm comes, knocks you down, and you hop right back up, and get ready for another round like a street fighter in an Irish pub!" TD

For the areas hit the hardest, it will take YEARS.

Source: Governor and Emergency preparedness/recovery team.

Stubee

Doctor of Teleocity
We have a friend who decided to “ride it out” in Englewood and can’t reach him which is no huge surprise with what’s happened there. Hope he’s OK.

My sister is in Palm Coast. Looks like a tropical storm there for more than a full day and like she said when I said that it’s been downgraded to a TS: “I don’t care what the H they call it, it’s awful”!

tery

Doctor of Teleocity
It is wonderful to hear from all of our friends and fellow TDPRI members - it is the ones who are silent that my heart breaks for.

rand z

Friend of Leo's
As I said in an earlier post, I have friend's and relatives all over FL.

Everyone that I can check on seems OK.

Many went inland to stay with friends/relatives where the storm lost a lot of it's power.

The worst report came from friend's in Ft. Myers (Iona) who live in a 5th wheel at a local RV park.

They reported water on their bedroom floor (highest point on the 5th wheel) and that both of their vehicles were gone.

Even worse, he had a heart attack trying to prepare for the surge and is in the hospital.

She is OK and (all things considered) says she's thankful to be alive.

I've been to FL many times as a tourist, musician... and snowbird, for the winter.

An interesting place... but, I couldn't live there, permanently.

Too hot in the summer; and too dangerous during hurricane season.

imo.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Our friends who are waterfront in Daytona just reported to me that there are some parts of their concrete seawall has now been compromised, and their paver walkway to the beach is now largely gone... that walkway is probably 30+ yards long. The public beach walkway close to them that's been there for years and years, surviving many storms in the past, is now gone as well. Please stay safe everyone who's going through this, and please keep the prayers going! 🙏🙏🙏

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I’m now in the southeast quadrant, should be the weakest part of the storm. Instead, we have sustained winds about 40 with gusts to 65. This thing is going to be back to hurricane status within hours and have a second landfall.

Ouch.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The pictures of Fort Myers Beach are awful. I've got relative in Cape Coral that was last heard from last night when the cell towers still had power. Kind of in the central part of CC in modern construction so probably is ok, but may not be heard from for a while.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Son and family in Ft. Myers, surprised by the turn. Rode it out. Modern code construction and storm shutters helped, but still a very scary ride. Power out but all safe.
Parents in Lakeland, Talked to them just before sundown, said they couldn't even see the boat dock on the lake behind them- (about twenty footsteps to the dock)
I'll be checking in on them again shortly. They have ridden out worse- but will expect a big cleanup with tree loss/damage.
Friends in Venice- worried about them. EVERYTHING is out.
Family all up the east coast- waiting...
Sending prayers for your fam, buddy! 🙏

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
The pictures of Fort Myers Beach are awful. I've got relative in Cape Coral that was last heard from last night when the cell towers still had power. Kind of in the central part of CC in modern construction so probably is ok, but may not be heard from for a while.

Yes, my brother and his family are in Cape Coral. I haven't been able to contact them since 1pm yesterday their time. They had stayed home, rather than go to a shelter, so keeping my fingers crossed.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
In case anyone cares, my area (NE Florida, south of Jacksonville) appears to have escaped the kind of disaster folks are seeing south and west of here. We've had wind and rain all night, but nothing damaged here. However, we have some areas that have flooding issues in big storms, and they may still feel some impact as it moves just south of us out to the water. I also haven't been out this morning, so haven't had the chance to see the area, but it's one of those days it's best to just stay in. No power loss. Ian still has to pass us to the east after it moves out over the Atlantic later today, so we may have impacts from the western side of the TS as it heads north.

My next concern is if it re-strengthens as my daughter's family lives in Savannah, which is expected to be affected late Friday. They have a standing order to immediately head here if necessary.

Also, the name "Ian" will most likely be retired from the repeating names list due to the devastation of this evil bastard.
Glad to hear you are safe. Sending prayers for your daughter’s family.

aging_rocker

Friend of Leo's
Just got up and saw some pictures/video. This is truly awful, so much destruction, terror and, no doubt, loss of life.

Glad to see that some of our TDPRI buddies are (relatively) safe and sound.

Wishing everyone affected all the very best.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Just imagine living here 100 years ago when your first clue that a hurricane was coming was when the waters started surging and the winds and rains came howling. No warning and no escape by that time. Big storms killed THOUSANDS because of this (8000-12000 people died from storm surge in the 1900 hurricane in Galveston).

These computer models are predicting pretty much the most complex, interconnected systems on the planet, and while they're not "perfect", I'll take the days of advance notice on the general direction of a storm over getting creamed out of the blue by a Cat 5 any day.
Word.