Hurricane Ian on the horizon.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
It is absolutely howling in Palmetto right now. I can't belive that the three small trees in my backyard are still standing. The wind is supposed to continue to build until about 11pm. Not going to lie- not having much fun right now. At least the power is still on.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
5:30 update. She's getting closer. The wind gusts of an hour ago have become the default. The current gusts are most impressive. The trees in my backyard are still miraculously standing, but they have a permanent 30 degree lean to them. On the bright side, I have learned that birds can fly backwards. :lol:

Somehow, the power is still on. I believe that I am going to crack a beer (possibly more than one) and hit the sack early.

As I was about to hit send, someone just cranked the wind knob to 11! If a cow went flying by, it wouldn't surprise me right now. o_O

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Just a personal observation:
It used to be that people around here, including TV weather reporters, would be glad when the hurricane went in another direction. Sort of a better them than us attitude.

But after Ida hit us last year, we are all, including the weather reporters, more considerate of and sympathetic of the people who are going to get hit with the hurricane. No one has a the "better them than us" attitude any more.

deytookerjaabs

Friend of Leo's
From the "Collier County Sheriff's Office" Facebook:

Here’s some tough news you need to know. We aren’t holding back:

We are in call triage mode.

We are getting a significant number of calls of people trapped by water in their homes.

Some are reporting life threatening medical emergencies in deep water. We will get to them first.

Some are reporting water coming into their house but not life threatening. They will have to wait. Possibly until the water recedes.

Lee County’s 9-1-1 system is down and rerouting to our Center. You cant even imagine those calls. ***update: the awesome team at Lee County 9-1-1 has repaired their system and it is now functioning-great work by terrific professionals under incredible stress***

Do not call 9-1-1 unless it is an emergency. We all have Collier Courage and we’ll get through this.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
5:30 update. She's getting closer. The wind gusts of an hour ago have become the default. The current gusts are most impressive. The trees in my backyard are still miraculously standing, but they have a permanent 30 degree lean to them. On the bright side, I have learned that birds can fly backwards. :lol:

Somehow, the power is still on. I believe that I am going to crack a beer (possibly more than one) and hit the sack early.

As I was about to hit send, someone just cranked the wind knob to 11! If a cow went flying by, it wouldn't surprise me right now. o_O
I’ve rode a few out, but not this strong. I hope everything is ok when it’s over. Just remember, if your house lands on somebody’s sister, pull off the Ruby slippers, put them on, and start clicking your heels together.

Last edited:

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I just saw the current images of the flooded streets of somewhere Floria, yikes! hokey-smokey auuuuugh! what keeps the crocodiles and alligators from going grocery shopping in the flood waters?
For those that don't know Florida has both species as well as pythons and anacondas.
Good luck everybody, I'm never going to florida, never, not ever!
I'm happy to stay right here in the drought ravaged land of the Green Mojave Rattlesnake and the newly named "Plestiodon"= skink

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
good news .. I'm alive.
bad news .. this building isn't.

we had a minimum 8' surge.
generator died which actually turned out to be fortunate. That's because even though our flood doors held, water pushed in through low electrical and drain pipes under the tech floors where all the power junctions are. So we avoided burned out equipment, fire, and possibility of someone being electrocuted.

more bad news, I need to pee .. there's no working facilities 😮🥺

I'll upload one photo, cell service is struggling.

20220928_184730.jpg

that barrier is waist high -after- ground and parking elevation. btw, there is a car out there under the water.