Hurricane Ian on the horizon.

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
Just took my own advise and talked my oldest son (10) into throwing our bathing suits on and going for a walk. About a 1/3 of the neighbors were on their front porch or garage. It was nice chatting with everyone vs sitting in my house and checking the news every 5 minutes. We even knocked on a couple of doors checking on some folks that are new to FL to see how they are holding up. We had fun and hopefully brought some joy to others. After a hot shower and meal, my son is asking if we can do it again.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Wonder if ya'll who are "in it" could maybe give some personal reporting on what you're seeing/experiencing right now? If it's not too much trouble of course. I've been watching as many cams as possible, but they don't really give a "feel" of things on the ground. Thanks in advance and be safe all! We are heavy praying that this thing goes away fast! 😇🙏🙏

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Things are pretty quiet in Brandon right now. Some wind and light rain but nothing too crazy.

That's very good to hear man, and thanks! I've been talking with friends and family down there, but some people I can't get a hold of right now so... trying to get an idea of it all. Most have said pretty much what you're saying, and we are all praying it stays that way until the thing goes away!

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
Wonder if ya'll who are "in it" could maybe give some personal reporting on what you're seeing/experiencing right now? If it's not too much trouble of course. I've been watching as many cams as possible, but they don't really give a "feel" of things on the ground. Thanks in advance and be safe all! We are heavy praying that this thing goes away fast! 😇🙏🙏

I stepped outside real quick .. I didn't want to go out further. I'm currently in Fort Myers

sorry if the link doesn't work

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
I'm not being sarcastic or snide. Florida is sinking (Miami) , You get blasted every year by hurricanes , invasive species: iguanas , pythons and anacondas , have you ever considered moving to table top flat states with actual weather cycles?
I grew up on Long Island. I've spent significant time in NYC, upstate NY, Mississippi, Tennessee,California and Virginia, among lots of other places.

Florida has been my home for 37 years now. Moving from here rarely crosses my mind, even during events like this. When it does, I remember how good I have it here and that thought vanishes like a burp in the wind.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
My MIL is right in the path. She lives in a retirement community in Sarasota, less than a mile from the coast. She is sheltering with a friend further inland in a concrete block home so she is a bit safer than she would have been in the mobile homes in the retirement community. Been through a couple of hurricanes when we lived in Orlando, fortunately, we never had much damage to our home.

Oddly, looks like the path Ian is going to take after it crosses Florida will bring it up through SC and over where we live now. Will be nothing more than a weak tropical storm by the time it reaches us though (fingers crossed).

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
Thank you Faith! Much appreciated! What are they saying your wind speeds are right now?

It's hard to judge. Where I am at is in the eye wall but we also have lots of high rises blocking the wind

Here is a shot of the front and back, through our security camera software:

StoneH

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The screen capture is not very good, but this is a great example of the difference between being on opposite sides of the eye wall. These boats are a good six feet (maybe less) lower than the dock, and a web cam up-thread shows water lapping up on a camera 6 feet high. <Edit> The sailboat appears to be aground.

1664389831101.png

Last edited: