Hurricane Ian on the horizon.

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
I was able to get most of the shutters up yesterday, but I slipped and think I tore the meniscus in my right knee. Not a great time to be on crutches.
And I was checking out our generator, wouldn't start, and is also leaking gasoline. So we are SOL if we lose power.
All the best to our other Floridian brotherhood!!

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
We lost power last night, but luckily they got it back up at 5am. I plan to run a generator just to keep the fridge running for a few hours a day, but I didn't plan to need it until after the storm passes. Even if we lose it again soon, being able to have it back on to cool the fridge and charge the phone has been a blessing.

It is already getting pretty ugly here in Palmetto. This one seems worse than Irma. Prays for those south of me.

For those who this might be their first hurricane, once you have everything secured the best you can, I would advise to go outside every once in a while (if you aren't in the middle of it). Just going outside, talking to neighbors, etc can really help your mood. Hunkering down inside in the dark fearing the worst is really stressing.

joe.attaboy

Tele-Meister
I'm in northeast Florida just south of Jacksonville. We're starting to see the very outer edges of the storm's bands heading over us. No steady rain here yet, but overcast and some sprinkles. We're getting brief gusty breezes, and this provides that ominous feeling that it's coming. I have two very large pine trees in my back yard and I hear the occasional pine cone dropping onto my back patio's aluminum roof, like gun shots

I suppose I'm fortunate being in this part of the state, as we usually get TS events as storms cross the state (as Ian is doing now) or move northward up the east coast (which the tracks indicate may happen later).

Jax hasn't taken a direct hit since Dora in 1964 - came straight in off the Atlantic and whacked pretty hard. (Interesting musical trivia: the Beatles played in the old Gator Bowl the day after Dora came through here).

Interestingly, my wife is scheduled to fly to NY later today, so she's going to miss all this. Since Ian will be considerably weaker when it arrives up here, we're not going to get the brunt that folks down in the lower Gulf areas will. But it won't be fun. I just hope we don't lose power or at least not for any long stretch. The rest I can handle.

All the best to everyone south of me.

See you all on the other side.

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
My first hurricane Camp Lejeune NC. We had a hurricane party at my house.
Second was Hugo we were stuck on I95 could not find a hotel room. That one was scary.
Be safe everyone.

jman72

Friend of Leo's
I'm sitting here just west of Daytona waiting for this thing to come our way. Spent most of the morning outside in the rain bringing in all the patio furniture and making sure everything that could be blown around was as secure as possible. My wife is out making a last-minute run for anything she can think of that we might need.

Now we just sit and wait and hope this thing weakens before it gets here. Really thinking about all of you folks between Tampa and Naples- such a beautiful stretch of Florida. Good luck to all of you and stay safe.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
my house is expected to get 100+ mph winds by noon today. I won't be there, I told my spouse and son not to be there. They are going to a neighbors whose house is built to current code and has proper protections. I was not in a position to cover our windows and it's a wood frame house built in 1990. I expect to have to do a lot of repair work *sigh*

Well, I should say, I expect to have to -pay- for lots of repair work. I may know how to do the repairs, I don't think that I physically can anymore. Old age sucks. Ok, old & broken age sucks
Here's hoping your house fares better than expected, @FaithNicole.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I've heard they are closing up Waffle Houses, which sounds like a "Florida Man culture" joke, until you realize WH has specialized disaster recovery processes and are designed so they can be opened up right after a hurricane

so you know it's a relatively dire situation, if Waffle Houses are actually closing

Last edited:

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
I was able to get most of the shutters up yesterday, but I slipped and think I tore the meniscus in my right knee. Not a great time to be on crutches.
And I was checking out our generator, wouldn't start, and is also leaking gasoline. So we are SOL if we lose power.
All the best to our other Floridian brotherhood!!
Hang in there, @bullfrogblues. Sending prayers for minimal storm impact and speedy healing of that knee. Be sure to get it checked out as soon as the weather clears.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
We lost power last night, but luckily they got it back up at 5am. I plan to run a generator just to keep the fridge running for a few hours a day, but I didn't plan to need it until after the storm passes. Even if we lose it again soon, being able to have it back on to cool the fridge and charge the phone has been a blessing.

It is already getting pretty ugly here in Palmetto. This one seems worse than Irma. Prays for those south of me.

For those who this might be their first hurricane, once you have everything secured the best you can, I would advise to go outside every once in a while (if you aren't in the middle of it). Just going outside, talking to neighbors, etc can really help your mood. Hunkering down inside in the dark fearing the worst is really stressing.
I join your prayers for those south of us. May God have mercy on us all. Sending prayers for your area too, @1 21 gigawatts. Good advice on staying connected to friends and neighbors. Isolation just amplified everything.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Here on the east coast, we were stuck in outer band rain all morning. Just training on us. About 6” of rain, and that rain brings the winds down to the surface. So we had sustained 35mph with gust to 55.

Now we’ve been dry for half an hour. But the worst of what’s left will come right over us in the middle of the night tonight.

Godspeed to you guys experiencing the eyewall right now. Video of storm surge starting to come in…

Heres a live feed of Naples pier. I’m surprised the pier isn’t severely damaged already.

edit - that live cam went dead about 12:37 EDT

Last edited:

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm not being sarcastic or snide. Florida is sinking (Miami) , You get blasted every year by hurricanes , invasive species: iguanas , pythons and anacondas , have you ever considered moving to table top flat states with actual weather cycles?

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
Here on the east coast, we were stuck in outer band rain all morning. Just training on us. About 6” of rain, and that rain brings the winds down to the surface. So we had sustained 35mph with gust to 55.

Now we’ve been dry for half an hour. But the worst of what’s left will come right over us in the middle of the night tonight.

Godspeed to you guys experiencing the eyewall right now. Video of storm surge starting to come in…

Heres a live feed of Naples pier. I’m surprised the pier isn’t severely damaged already.

edit - that live cam went dead about 12:37 EDT

my prayers and best wishes to everyone .