Hurricane Ian on the horizon.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Heard a few hours ago that a friend of mine's aunt lives near Ft. Myers in a 2 story condo, and she's lived there for over 35 years i.e. survived many storms over those years. Apparently the water reached the 2nd story of their home and the 2nd story was under 5 feet of water?? The water surface was 17+ feet from ground level. They are alive and have been rescued but have lost everything including their cars, all furniture, keepsakes, clothing, heirlooms, and even a grand piano. :( Please keep the prayers coming folks, there's a lot of aftermath no doubt.
Man, that’s awful! Praying, buddy. 🙏

Glad to hear they are alive and rescued.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
The ONLY good thing I can think of today is that the backside of the storm has pulled down some cooler air so that it’s a little less sweaty doing the after the storm cleanup. I woke up to 63F and it’s still around low 70s at almost 10 am.

Jaw dropping and heart wrenching images and stories from heavily impacted areas. Gonna be a long recovery.

And now Carolinas and beyond under the gun for potential widespread flooding. So much for the quiet hurricane season we were having…

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
The ONLY good thing I can think of today is that the backside of the storm has pulled down some cooler air so that it’s a little less sweaty doing the after the storm cleanup. I woke up to 63F and it’s still around low 70s at almost 10 am.

Jaw dropping and heart wrenching images and stories from heavily impacted areas. Gonna be a long recovery.

And now Carolinas and beyond under the gun for potential widespread flooding. So much for the quiet hurricane season we were having…

I'm considering on heading down to help out, perhaps even tonight, but I'm being told to hold off due to power outages, road debris, bridge closures, etc. Frustrating cause I want to be there to help out, and it seems I'm just going to have to be patient... and I'm not when it comes to stuff like this! :rolleyes::oops: Any way to know what roads/highways/accesses are open for use? Heck I guess I don't even know if I could cross the state line or not! Geesh... what a mess.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm considering on heading down to help out, perhaps even tonight, but I'm being told to hold off due to power outages, road debris, bridge closures, etc. Frustrating cause I want to be there to help out, and it seems I'm just going to have to be patient... and I'm not when it comes to stuff like this! :rolleyes::oops: Any way to know what roads/highways/accesses are open for use? Heck I guess I don't even know if I could cross the state line or not! Geesh... what a mess.

Oh I’m sure you could get close enough to help out just by using I-75. There have to be a lot of people just off-site to support the front lines. Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. would be good people to contact to volunteer. I have a cousin who does Salvation Army and she’s probably there already.

Good on ya for wanting to help out.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Oh I’m sure you could get close enough to help out just by using I-75. There have to be a lot of people just off-site to support the front lines. Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. would be good people to contact to volunteer. I have a cousin who does Salvation Army and she’s probably there already.

Good on ya for wanting to help out.

Thanks man. I have a lot of friends and family in Daytona, and I want to help so bad.... Give me that chainsaw dang it! LOL!! ;)

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted
I'm back! Power just came back on.

Holy heck- that was a big one! My last report was when I was going to drink a couple beers and go to bed. That is when the trouble started. After grabbing the beers out of my garage fridge, I noticed water dripping from the ceiling. Then the power went out. We retreat to the lanai where there is still some daylight. Then we see a roof shingle come down in the backyard. Grab a flashlight to investigate in my house and find water dripping down the wall in the upstairs bonus room wall. Finish my two beers and try to get some sleep.

After not sleeping at all, I get up at first light to survey the damage. My roof is missing about 30 shingles at the top. Two spots where water breeched; the membrane under the tiles held up, but the shingles were peeled back to the ridge cap and the wind forced the water into the ridge vent. About 1/3 of the houses in my neighborhood have extensive roof damage- and these are all houses built within the last 8 years. Trees broken or completely uprooted everywhere. The three trees in the back all survived though, so that's something.

We are all alive and well, so I can't complain. A lot of people got it worse than us (flooding from storm surge). Looking forward to a relaxing weekend after an extremely stressful and sleepless week. Having power again definitely helps.

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
Another day of cleanup. Again, we were very fortunate at the minimal damage to our home. Most of the back yard, well what is inside our fence, is cleaned up.

Reassembled the grill that Ian disassembled for us and had a good breakfast.

I had to stablize one shed before I could rewire my 220 well pump to 110 and put together a 30 amp cord for it.

The one shed I rebuilt good enough until I can replace it. No temporary fix for my big canopy, oh well.

20220929_112647.jpg 20220930_174426.jpg

tomorrow the tarp

g'night y'all 😊

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
PSA for those unfamiliar with hurricane aftermath: It can be very difficult to communicate out from the affected area. Cell towers down, no power, etc. Even in our modern world, you can get cut off.
In September 2021, my wife and I returned home before the power was back on. That was when I discovered I had tinnitus. I had previously thought that what I had been hearing was the refrigerator, or the computer fan, or the HVAC system, or something else electrical. But there was no electricity to power those items.

A few years ago I was talking with someone in Chalmette, LA. He told me that a weird thing about the days after Katrina had blown through was the absence of birds and their chirping sounds.

draggindakota

Tele-Holic
About 1/3 of the houses in my neighborhood have extensive roof damage- and these are all houses built within the last 8 years. Trees broken or completely uprooted everywhere. The three trees in the back all survived though, so that's something.
You know, it's kinda funny. I got a letter 2 weeks ago from my insurance broker telling me that my homeowners insurance company was leaving the state, and since my roof was from 2005 no one would insure it and I would need a new roof by December.

I didn't lose a single shingle in either Ian or Irma.

FaithNicole

Tele-Meister
You know, it's kinda funny. I got a letter 2 weeks ago from my insurance broker telling me that my homeowners insurance company was leaving the state, and since my roof was from 2005 no one would insure it and I would need a new roof by December.

I hear that. most of my house is classified as not hurricane ready. I can't even get a loan to fix it up (from years of negligence) unless I fix the stuff that I need the loan for. 🤔

my house has been through two hurricanes and multiple tropical storms with minimal damage.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm back! Power just came back on.

Holy heck- that was a big one! My last report was when I was going to drink a couple beers and go to bed. That is when the trouble started. After grabbing the beers out of my garage fridge, I noticed water dripping from the ceiling. Then the power went out. We retreat to the lanai where there is still some daylight. Then we see a roof shingle come down in the backyard. Grab a flashlight to investigate in my house and find water dripping down the wall in the upstairs bonus room wall. Finish my two beers and try to get some sleep.

After not sleeping at all, I get up at first light to survey the damage. My roof is missing about 30 shingles at the top. Two spots where water breeched; the membrane under the tiles held up, but the shingles were peeled back to the ridge cap and the wind forced the water into the ridge vent. About 1/3 of the houses in my neighborhood have extensive roof damage- and these are all houses built within the last 8 years. Trees broken or completely uprooted everywhere. The three trees in the back all survived though, so that's something.

We are all alive and well, so I can't complain. A lot of people got it worse than us (flooding from storm surge). Looking forward to a relaxing weekend after an extremely stressful and sleepless week. Having power again definitely helps.

Glad you’re ok, but you need to try to mitigate that water intrusion. Those ridge vents are not a good idea in Florida. I have neighbors who suffered significant mold damage after hurricanes here, due to to ridge vent intrusion. I realize it may be difficult to to find those mitigation services amidst all the needs over there, but you should try. Sincerely hope things turn out good for you:)

1 21 gigawatts

Tele-Afflicted

My insurance seems to change yearly. All the name-brand insurers pulled out of the I4 corridor in FL because a major hurricane would bankrupt them due to the population density in the area. I fully expect my current no-name insurer to file for bankruptcy and leave me footing the bill to replace the roof...

old soul

Tele-Afflicted
One day, tampa is gonna pay the piper. I've lived in the area since 71 and we have gotten so lucky, so many times.
I feel bad for the folks near ft Myers, but am relieved it didn't hit us. The projected path of just west of Tampa Bay would have been a worst case scenario. Downtown would have been wiped out, UT wiped out, south tampa/ Bayshore just gone....it WILL happen one day.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
Yes, we were actually fearing for Cedar Key and the surrounding (swamp) area in early tracking models. We like that funky little spec.

My son in Ft. Meyers rode it out OK and had very little personal damage, considering the devastation just about 20 a minutes drive from him. Still no power (It came on briefly and went back out yesterday) No potable water and then no running water at all. I know from experience how fast that gets to be stressful. But very lucky and importantly- safe and sound. And the company he works for takes good care of him.

Dad in central Fla/Lakeland area had high winds and heavy rain of course. Lakes as high as any of the old timers there have ever seen. Power is back on, and the neighborhood is performing a cooperative clean-up, which is good for the community and helps the older residents (Like dad, 82 with respiratory and back issues)

Son in Myrtle beach S.C. area got driving rain and wind, a little clean up- but certainly little relative the southwest Florida.

It's going through our area now. Cold light rain and wind for a few days. And we needed the moisture so it's all good here.
Other than the urge to drive a truck load of water to Ft. Meyers. But the reality is it would be a small gesture that would do more to make me feel better than provide any real help. I'd offer physical help and haul my chainsaw, rope, generator and more down there, but the body ain't got that left in it I am afraid. Desire though... It's still strong.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Another day of cleanup. Again, we were very fortunate at the minimal damage to our home. Most of the back yard, well what is inside our fence, is cleaned up.

Reassembled the grill that Ian disassembled for us and had a good breakfast.

I had to stablize one shed before I could rewire my 220 well pump to 110 and put together a 30 amp cord for it.

The one shed I rebuilt good enough until I can replace it. No temporary fix for my big canopy, oh well.

View attachment 1035322 View attachment 1035323

tomorrow the tarp

g'night y'all 😊
Sorry to hear about your damage… But I too am grateful that it wasn’t worse. Racially grateful that you and your family are safe.