Hurricane Ian on the horizon.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Yes, my brother and his family are in Cape Coral. I haven't been able to contact them since 1pm yesterday their time. They had stayed home, rather than go to a shelter, so keeping my fingers crossed.
For me it's my cousin and his wife. Just got word he got a text message out and is okay but damage not yet assessed. I hope same for your brother and family.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
Terrible seeing the devastation, glad to hear survival stories.

Looks like we're gonna get the north-eastern edge when it makes landfall again (likely as a cat 1). Expecting high winds, buckets of rain. Have moved everything off the porch, battened down the hatches, etc. This will be our first hurricane...but we have many tornado stories from Alabama...

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
The pictures of Fort Myers Beach are awful. I've got relative in Cape Coral that was last heard from last night when the cell towers still had power. Kind of in the central part of CC in modern construction so probably is ok, but may not be heard from for a while.
Praying for your relative…and for you. 🙏

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
Terrible seeing the devastation, glad to hear survival stories.

Looks like we're gonna get the north-eastern edge when it makes landfall again (likely as a cat 1). Expecting high winds, buckets of rain. Have moved everything off the porch, battened down the hatches, etc. This will be our first hurricane...but we have many tornado stories from Alabama...
Stay safe safe up there! 🙏

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Just heard from another buddy of mine down there in Orlando. He and his wife, and his parents, got out and are in a hotel in GA. They know they have no power at their home, nor their parents home, but they don't yet know of damages. His Parents are in their 90's. I'm glad to know they're all safe and dry!

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Hearing from friends and family in Daytona just a few minutes ago. Flooding, power lines down all over the place, 60 MPH winds and rain still going on, and typical damages like shingles and siding gone, some trees down, etc. etc. There will be a lot of cleanup it sounds like, but everyone I know there are safe. They are expecting to be without power for days. I guess they got dumped on with epic tons of rainfall over the night, and it's still raining and now the winds are kicking up to 60.

Please keep the prayer chains going and thank you! 😇🙏🙏🙏

I hope everyone is okay among your friends and family Telekarster. I was born in Alabama, and there is a tornado alley near my cousin's old place, it's been there since long before I was born, and just a miracle that it has survived. You have to be in good shape, and running fast to get wet in rainstorm here, but man, back in Alabama we had gully-washers, but nothing compared to what's happening down in Florida.

MarkieMark

Friend of Leo's
No, we know they're not perfect. But, if you're one of those who is "watching" to see where it goes in this particular hurricane it was really the last 24-12 hours where we saw it headed that far south. Not a lot of time to prep for those who avoided evac orders thinking it was going to track north.
Also- a lot of people who did evacuate in time moved right into the area hit when the storm shifted east.

There are areas similarly damaged by Andrew 30 years ago that still have readily apparent remnants all this time later.
Several favorite areas for us- will never be the same as they were.

And those in the media who insisted it was over hyped? If I met them and had the opportunity, they would have an epic moment of verbal thrashing about how I feel about people who get paid well to chronically mislead and misinform...

Rant over.
For now.

draggindakota

Tele-Holic

mtown

Tele-Meister
I live in Venice and what a night it was. Thankfully only minor damage to my home. We got hit fairly hard but south of us all the way to Naples so much destruction. Governor DeSantis said that the entire electric grid will have to be rebuilt in Lee County. No way to get on or off Sanibel Island by car. Prayers needed for so many in need.

El Tele Lobo

Poster Extraordinaire
I live in Venice and what a night it was. Thankfully only minor damage to my home. We got hit fairly hard but south of us all the way to Naples so much destruction. Governor DeSantis said that the entire electric grid will have to be rebuilt in Lee County. No way to get on or off Sanibel Island by car. Prayers needed for so many in need.
Yes. It’s terrible. I will keep praying. My heart is breaking over all this suffering and destruction.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Heard a few hours ago that a friend of mine's aunt lives near Ft. Myers in a 2 story condo, and she's lived there for over 35 years i.e. survived many storms over those years. Apparently the water reached the 2nd story of their home and the 2nd story was under 5 feet of water?? The water surface was 17+ feet from ground level. They are alive and have been rescued but have lost everything including their cars, all furniture, keepsakes, clothing, heirlooms, and even a grand piano. :( Please keep the prayers coming folks, there's a lot of aftermath no doubt.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
I feel for everybody dealing with it. Over here, we didn‘t have a direct hit from 1986 until 2005. Since then it’s been one after another. But it also has shown how people come together to help each other. Between cutting and moving trees and debris with available chainsaws and tractors to helping with and sharing supplies like generators, gas, food, and water.

Last edited: