Hurricane Ian on the horizon.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Forecast path keeps shifting west, which is good for keeping the core of the storm away from the big population centers on the west coast. Some of the guidance shows weakening just before landfall due to shear. Let’s keep our fingers crossed. Still a long ways to go.

GeneB

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
The local grocery store (Publix) this morning was swarmed with people stocking up on TP and water mostly. We're already set but a CAT4 which is what this just got upgraded to is 130MPH sustained with gusts to 156. While our home is new (4 years) and supposedly hurricane proof I don't want to test the builders claims. The biggest worry is flying projectiles like trampolines and deck chairs.

oatsoda

Tele-Afflicted
I’m in rural Nova Scotia. Power out until Wednesday or Thursday. 146 kph winds took out our beautiful grove of Eastern white pine, and most of the beech and hemlock is toppled too. Heartbreaking. I think of all the owls and hawks, and the bald eagles nest now broken on the ground. The shack still stands and the kids and I were unscathed. Prepping is key, and each time you have an experience like this , you learn more what to do next time, and you realize how much you still have to learn.

Stay safe out there, and if you know a crash is imminent, buckle up ahead of time.

oatsoda

Tele-Afflicted
Also, pulling out a big bag of Halloween candy on day three or four of the blackout is a real morale booster, and shutting the generator down over night makes your fuel last twice as long. The fridge stays plenty cold when you don’t open it, especially if you have cans of beer taking up all the extra space for thermal mass.

bullfrogblues

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm on day 2 of trying to get my generator to run. I'm sure it's a carburetor problem, but the design of the frame of the generator looks like I have to loosen the motor mounts and move the motor before I can get the carb out. what a stupid design.
I'm on the east coast, but we could still be impacted, prayers for those on the west coast and gulf area.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Also, pulling out a big bag of Halloween candy on day three or four of the blackout is a real morale booster, and shutting the generator down over night makes your fuel last twice as long. The fridge stays plenty cold when you don’t open it, especially if you have cans of beer taking up all the extra space for thermal mass.

Glad to hear you’re ok, I know what it’s like to be devegetated. In 2004, we had two hurricanes in three weeks. First one wrecked my jungle; when the second one came there were no tree branches left to break lol.

Good news this morning is that the system is still chugging west and not strengthening as much as was thought. Bad news is that we still can’t get agreement on track beyond 72 hours. NHC admits that uncertainty is higher than normal.

These are both good models, but look at the divergence. GFS at 120 hours, Euro at 93.

B8AC188E-37B2-43D2-A687-1C39A19BAE19.jpeg

394C1651-A69A-4BAF-B315-0EA71BEBE202.jpeg